BC Boards

Alternative To CGC

I will not give the ACK one dime if my money for anything. Ever.

I think if more people (e.g. landlords) understood how worthless the CGC can be (evidenced by the various stories above) I don't think it would have been as successful as it's been.

When Bodhi was originally tested as a therapy dog, the evaluator was also a CGC evaluator, and the therapy test included all components of the CGC and more, so all I'd have had to do was pay another $5 or $10 for the certificate.

I didn't do it. And if I'd have had to have the CGC to certify him as a therapy dog, I'd have gone to a different pet therapy organization. (I eventually did just that, but for different reasons.)

I've far, far more therapy visits to qualify Bodhi for the ACK therapy dog title, but again, I'll never pay them a red cent for it. It's meaningless and worthless, as you have to have a certification through a pet therapy program anyway, so what's the point? It's just another way for ACK to gt your money . . . for nothing. :angry:

I compete in agility and like to collect ribbons for myself, because I like to win. Maybe it's selfish, but it's also all in good fun. I don't get mad if I don't do well I think of ways to fix the issues next time and if someone beats me good for them! Most of the people in my local agility groups are friendly and very encouraging to eachother.

I had a judge say something that made a lot of sense: if only one of you is having fun in the ring it had better be the dog, because they certainly didn't ask to be there competing.

Also did get my dogs their CGC title when I was between houses because landlords look kindly upon dogs with a 'title ' to prove they were well behaved. I ended up purchasing a house, but I wanted to have it should I need it. It was actually hard to get and required a lot of prep, but again that just my experience.

if you are interested in something like this, I would suggest therapy dog tests. However, the TDI is essentially the same test (with a few modifications) and often done, at least here, at the same time as the CGC by the local AKC club. Not sure, but I think TDI is connected to AKC. My first dog (many years ago), passed his CGC and TDI at 9 months on the first try. I will be the first To say he had no business passing either, let alone getting a Therapy dog certification. I never did use him as a therapy dog. here, at least, delta society seems to be separate from AKC and more rigerous to pass. So if you are interested in therapy work, Delta society might be the way to go.

My sister in law just got her dog CGC certified. Put the little AKC tag on his collar and everything.

2 years ago this dog bit two people, including my sister in law (she was just walking the dog down the street when he bit her). He punctured her arm several times, needed stitches at the ER and the dog was quarantined for rabies. In some towns or counties, this dog would have been labeled dangerous and required to adhere to certain restrictions. The town here does not have a dangerous dog law. But for her the CGC is a big accomplishment because they had talked about euthanizing him after. I personally see it another way too, that the CGC is meaningless as far as an assessment to a dogs temperament or ability to be a good dog in public.

Dear Doggers,

June was the dog I could take everywhere because of who she was and because she'd been everywhere (oof leash):London, Paris, NYC, San Fransisco, DC, Pecos Texas.

I thought to have her CGI tested - because hse couldn't earn it. June, who took whistle commands at a mile, didn't SIT - in my view a useless accomplishment for those,like myself, indifferent to the needs of cootchy-coo-ers. Since I routinely ignore silly leash restrictions, I could sign their pledge.

Never got around to it. June and I were having too much fun.

Donald McCaig

I love having the dog you can take everywhere. I think it would be a big priority in choosing a dog from now on. I actually technically have two that would fit the bill personality-wise - but one is small enough to be taken on the train and low-shed. The other is big, has arthritis and gets tired easily.

I would consider getting the certification from the Irish kennel club- they've been involved in some outcross programmes, though there are IKC reg puppy mill dogs...

But it would be nice to have some kind of high-standard test that you could take without having to go through the AKC.

... SIT - in my view a useless accomplishment for those,like myself, indifferent to the needs of cootchy-coo-ers.

I can never be bothered to teach Sit.

CGC? I believe actions speak stronger than words (or pieces of paper). Teach a rock solid down stay -- preferably that can be signalled by a hand gesture (not just a verbal command). Beats any obedience certificate any day of the week.

Dear Doggers,

Tony Ancheta, who runs the Koehler School and specializes in retraining dangerous dogs, suggests that the AKC CD title (or obedience equivilent) might serve as proof for access to venues (summer beaches,cafes, etc) normally off limits to dogs. I crave better access and would be perfectly willing to train for and pass such a test whether or no I agreed with all its particulars.

No reward, no trick.

Donald McCaig

After reading this conversation yesterday I did something I haven't done in a long time. I opened up Maddie's box of ribbons.

It had been such a long time that her box was at the bottom of the stack.

It was quite something to see her ribbons in that box. And, as I turned them over and read the labels, I remembered a lot of things about those trials that I had forgotten. Shoot, I even kind of forgot that the place where we used to trial most - the place where I still go a lot - used to be completely different. It was cool to see the pictures in my mind of the old outdoor Periland! And, of course, of my Maddie-girl flopping through her courses, thumping that silly Lab tail as she trotted across the dog-walk!

The experience was highly satisfying at a sensory level. It was good to revisit those memories of my first Agility girl, especially at this point. :) I could actually see pictures in my mind of those good times we had.

Now Speedy's box is at the bottom of the stack. I won't open that one for a while. It's not time. I am not at a place where I will enjoy that level of memory in the same way. (Yes, it has been two years, but still . . . )

But ribbons . . . they are more to me than just pretty pieces of satin. I can see where this would be different for everyone, but for me they hold the keys to a level of memory that I don't tap into just by sitting around remembering. Even watching video doesn't bring forth the same kind of memory for me.

Yes, we are all different . . .

I put away my principals and took the CGC test with Rievaulx when we were starting our plan to move. I knew we would be renting and wanted another piece of paper that said he was a good dog, along with his agility titles. I really wanted to do the TDI test but the local evaluator is prejudiced about border collies, and as there were a couple of things I was doubtful about I decided to save my money. After all the traveling and strange things he has done he would sail through it now. I thought the CGC test was of a really low quality, Rievaulx breezed through it, but we where the only dog out of 5 that passed.

The TDI test is not easy, I did years ago with my old lady dog and the test is now harder. We took the test in a hospital lobby, as TDI provide liability insurance for therapy dogs I am sure they have put thought into the test.

As for competing, I am competitive and I really don't see any difference to competing in agility than competing in show jumping or eventing. It is fun, I like the adrenaline rush that I get when it goes well, I could train everyday but walking into the ring with a course you have had 7 minutes to walk, plan and remember and then run flat out with your off leash dog for me is why we train, I would not have the motivation to train if we did not have goals.

Each to their own, I never enjoyed show jumping, and when I was offered the opportunity to play polo, I jumped at it and loved the experience, I also enjoyed hacking during that time just like I enjoy a walk with my dog, but I would not own a horse just to hack. (I do have dogs though just to go for a walk :) )

if you are interested in something like this, I would suggest therapy dog tests. However, the TDI is essentially the same test (with a few modifications) and often done, at least here, at the same time as the CGC by the local AKC club. Not sure, but I think TDI is connected to AKC. My first dog (many years ago), passed his CGC and TDI at 9 months on the first try. I will be the first To say he had no business passing either, let alone getting a Therapy dog certification. I never did use him as a therapy dog. here, at least, delta society seems to be separate from AKC and more rigerous to pass. So if you are interested in therapy work, Delta society might be the way to go.

AFAIK, TDI and ACK are not affiliated in any way.

The TDI test contains all components for the CGC plus a few more, so yes, rather more rigorous.

FYI: Delta Society is now Pet Partners. They were never an option for me because of their ban on dogs being fed a raw diet. (The have ties to Purina -- a Board member in common, I believe. Could that be the affiliation you've heard of?)

TDI has gotten increasingly less member friendly since I first joined 8+ years ago. So I jumped ship 3 years ago in favor of Paws for Friendship, and all but one of the local TDI members I know (and she rarely makes visits) have followed suit, including one who was with TDI only 6 months before becoming thoroughly disgusted with them and switched!

Although not as well known, PFF is actually a larger group with more members and more truly international, with members in many more countries than just the US and Canada. There's very easy to work with and very accommodating in contrast to the constant threats that come from the other. Years ago I'd been asked to be a chapter coordinator for TDI and refused, but I'm proud to be a chapter coordinator for PFF.

ETA: IMO a therapy dog certification should be more rigorous than a pet dog manners test. ;)

ETA: AFAIK all therapy dog organizations have insurance. At least all the major ones do. There's really nothing special about TDI. <_<

The other thing, at least about TDI, is that you have to renew every year. So if you are looking for some kind of certification - like CGC - and aren't actually going to do therapy work, taking the TDI test might not get you want you want.

If you just want to do it to see if your dog can pass, then it would be an excellent substitute.

I am weirdly backwards.

Because I have a deaf dog and have done so much agility/become so aware of how easily dogs pick up body language if you want to impress me -

Verbals. You REALLY want to impress me a lot? A verbal with you out of sight or even your back turned so the dog has no body language/physical cues to pick up on.

Whistle signals also count. Basically something with NO physical anything from the handler for the dog to read.

Not that anyone needs to impress me, of course, or would want to ;-)

Until my daughter started agility and I began reading books by Patricia McConnell I didn't know how much easier it is to teach a dog to respond to a movement versus a verbal signal.

I finally understood why my very sweet, but not always the smartest, Miniature Schnauzer looked confused when I asked her to "sit" but did a perfect "hi-five" after not doing the trick for about seven years.

I often wonder how much I could have taught her if someone had explained to me that she needed a physical cue.

Deleted because I posted the message in the wrong thread.

Although if you are curious, the post is quoted below, and I copied and pasted it to its proper location in the tricks thread!!

There was probably no real point in deleting the post since it is obvious what happened, but the perfectionist in me wants it deleted!! :P

So, who would like to be the official "thread poster"? (At least for this month).

I suggest we have a dedicated thread for the trick of the month, and that way we can all go there to share progress, see progress, and ask for suggestions/give suggestions.

Something like: February Trick: Front Paw Work (or whatever)

That's my 3 cents, but any structure really will do! :)

Was this meant for the "Tricks" thread?