BC Boards

anti-seizure meds

nancy

Is there a good online source for anti-seizure meds for dogs? Our daughter's 8-year-old hound mix has started having mild seizures. So far, she says Wal-Mart has the best prices for the meds.

Evidently, Rosie also has low thyroid and high cholesterol.

You might look into PetRescueRx http://petrescuerx.com/

Not only are their prices good, but they donate their profits to shelters and rescues that you choose from.

It definitely does pay to compare pharmacies. When I was shopping for tramadol for my late Tilly, I found variations that ranged from about $19 and change to over $100 for the same script!

The vet I work for has said that low thyroid can sometimes cause seizures or at least make a dog more prone to it. If the seizures aren't too bad or frequent, I'd try correcting the thyroid first and see if the seizures decrease. My vet also has said if they are mild seizures and its once a month or less than it may be better to not medicate as the meds can be hard on the liver.

Is there a Costco in the area? They often have really competitive pricing on prescriptions. IIRC, you don't need a membership to use their pharmacy.

Ditto with Sam's Club. They & Wal-Mart were the ones who had the lowest price when I was comparing tramadol, and you also don't have to be a member to use their pharmacy.