BC Boards

BC Book

By Elisabeth Rose? Yeah, I finished it a few weeks ago. I liked it and it kept me amused... although I thought it was amazing all they went through for their dog. Some of the things that their dog did was like deja vu with my Adria.

Have you read "A Good Dog?" by Jon Katz?

How about "Marley & Me?" I forget who wrote that right now... but it's about a yellow lab. And I really enjoyed it!

I'm pretty laid up from some horseback riding injuries, so I've been reading a lot. Let me know what kind of books you like, and I'll recommend some really good ones!!

Another book I have yet to read is "From Baghdad With Love". It's about a soldier's struggle to bring home a puppy he fell in love with while over there. Oprah's talked about it, so it should probably be pretty good. I saw an interview on tv with the author and if he can write as well as he talks about the book, then it should be really a nice read!!

I just bought "From Baghdad with Love" (the author is from here) and plan to read it this weekend. I'll post comments. You too, eh, Painted1?

Lots of people on this board don't like Jon Katz and his dog books. But I will say that when I first got Daisy, I read "A Dog Year" and it was very helpful to me to discover that she wasn't the only young border collie rescue who surprised its novice owner with its intensity and "issues." I stopped blaming her and started learning about border collies, and that was really, really huge for us. I'm crazy about her, btw.

I'm going to get "from Baghdad with love" pretty soon. It looks like a great book. I remember seeing the guy that brought him back too.

I read A Good Dog - thought his writing style was poor at best - meandering, seemed to say the same thing over and over and over again. I also absolutely hate his ultimate decision. While I agree that each person needs to make their own decision, by his writing this "memoir" he is inviting our opinions on his decision -- which I believe is just deplorable. HBO is making a movie of his first book about Devon. I wonder if they are going to mention Devon's ultimate reward.

"For the Love of a Dog" by Patricia McConnell. I LOVED it! I actually have an autographed edition. My daughter and I went to a book signing and lecture. She is an amazing person. I have nearly everything she's written and find her information insightful and helpful. The photos in the middle of this particular book are helpful in reading a dogs emotions. I think if more people could read dogs better, there would be fewer bites. Another great book by Dr. McConnell!