BC Boards

An introduction, a few questions, and quite a few pictures!

Hello everyone!

I've been browsing this site and forums for about a week now, and I figured it was time to join so I could ask a few questions of my own and have an outlet to share pictures so I don't overwhelm my Facebook feed with my new border collie interest! I'll share briefly who I am and why I am here.

I'm 33, married, 4 kids that are between the ages of 14 and nearly 8. I have worked in a small non-profit vet clinic for about 2-1/2 years now (in reception). Through work, I have had the opportunity to get to know a few adult border collies that are owned by a co-worker. Between the two of us, we do educational programs on animals for the community at no charge, and we have programs on dogs, rabbits, exotic birds (owned by my friend) and reptiles (owned by myself). I also do a lot of photography for the clinic, and because of that, I go to my friend's dog program. I have been impressed with her border collies from day 1. I loved how attentive they were, how they intently watched their owner, and I really enjoyed taking pictures of her dogs catching discs at the end of the program. But admiration hadn't caused me to research owning one yet. I knew things about border collies from being a dog-crazy kid and teenager. I had owned various breeds of dogs, but never a herding breed. I just really admired her dogs (and I see a lot of dogs at work)!

Here are 2 pictures I took last summer of one of my friend's dogs.

dog%209_zpsfafsh9mb.jpg

And another ...

dog%2013_zpsf4ggwnqd.jpg

Her dogs work her sheep, but they also love to do disc competition! The dogs are ABCA registered (Sundown Border Collies).

On Thanksgiving day this past November, one of her dogs had a litter. Before they were born, I had a dream about the puppies and how many she had. I still wasn't considering owning one, but I was excited for her! When they were a few weels old, I took pictures of the puppies with "Santa" (my friend's husband), and it was right around then that I wished I could have one but I was pretty sure they were all spoken for.

Shortly after this I was showing my husband the pictures, and he said, "don't get any ideas!" I told him they were all sold anyway, but then I thought I'd ask her. She said no, one was left ... and at that moment, I knew I wanted one. I told her what I was thinking, eventually got the okay from my husband, and here I am, waiting about 3 more weeks for our puppy. I named him Solo! (I'm a Star Wars fan).

Here are a few of the pictures I've taken of him so far.

IMG_1203_zpsp0ehe5br.jpg

In Santa's hands!

IMG_1295_zpsea4vb9gc.jpg

Santa with the litter of 8. Solo is the third one from the left.

IMG_1598_zpsu4raafr1.jpg

Solo singled out.

IMG_1809_zpsgye3zp1v.jpg

Two of my girls at my friend/breeder's house on Christmas eve. Pups were exactly 4 weeks old. This was the night we picked him out of 3 remaining males that were claimed but not individually spoken for. Solo is on the left. Middle white puppy is a female and going to the sire's owners. Puppy on the right was one of the choices (at first was mine but my husband liked the other. Both pups are super cute so I picked the one that my husband liked best. The breeder said either would be fine for our family.)

These pictures were taken this past Sunday:

IMG_1829_zps2j9ew4bf.jpg

My son and Solo.

IMG_1883_zpsc57wtu5f.jpg

IMG_1827_zpsc9cislel.jpg

My youngest with Solo.

IMG_1824_zpswgbx84ha.jpg

A t-shirt rope tug toy that we made for Solo. We brought a bunch of them over, and he took one from the group and went back to his puppy pen to chew it. So cute!

I think that's it for now! I plan to keep reading and researching and then asking questions, but if you have anything helpful you think I should know, let me know! I am not unfamiliar to dogs, but it's been a long time since I've had a puppy. And as I said, I've never had a herding breed of dog. I have a great friend/breeder that is confident that this puppy will be great for us, and being that I generally work one day a week and I homeschool my children, we are nearly always home. We live in the country with a lot of land, and we are a pretty active family. We've aleady been invited to come along to disc competitions, which will be fun for all of us! We don't have any livestock and probably won't get sheep, but we will be getting ducks and chickens this spring. Solo will be trained on the breeder's sheep though, so that'll be great for him!

I think that's it! Thanks for reading!

(I hope the sire's owners are planning on BAER testing their puppy.)

Ditto.

They sure are cute though! I wish I'd gotten to frolic around with 4 week old puppies when I was a kid. Looks like heaven to me. Have you read Cat Warren's "What the Dog Knows?" Not a border collie, but he is named Solo.

Thank you for the welcome! We are so excited to bring him home.

I have not heard of that book, but I am looking at it on Amazon right now to see what it's about! It was pretty awesome to have the kids hanging out with the puppies as they watched Christmas movies. Great socialization time!

As far as testing on the mostly white pup, I do not know! She does have some black, but it's like spots in places on her back.

A hypothesis on the correlation between color and deafness indicates not just the white pup is at higher risk of being deaf; all the pups in the litter are at increased risk. From the photos, the white pup fits the coloration that is correlated with the increased risk.