• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course there's also this

"But ask the animals, and they will teach you,

or the birds in the sky, and they will tell you;

or speak to the earth, and it will teach you,

or let the fish in the sea inform you.

Which of all these does not know

that the hand of the Lord has done this?

In his hand is the life of every creature

and the breath of all mankind."

I mean, I agree that when it gets right down to it then people are overall more important than "the beasts of the field". But just because you're supposed to take charge of something it doesn't mean that you have to keeping proving that you're in charge. My dogs are partners. Sure, I'm still the boss when push comes to shove. They're never going to be people. But it's super cool that we have the ability to recognize and respect their abilities and intelligence.

And then there are those of us who prefer partnership with rather than dominion over....

J.

Exactly. Well said.

And, we all have different beliefs. No point in bringing religion into a discussion like this, really, because those beliefs are not held by everyone.

I see nothing wrong with hugging or kissing my dog as long as the dog doesn't mind. I don't do it in public a lot, bet then I don't hug other people or kiss them in public, either.

Hugging my dogs (the ones who enjoy it, that is) doesn't mean I don't know they are dogs. I like to hug them because they are dogs. I like them a whole lot more than most people.

As for putting clothes on a dog, where's the real harm in that? I think that it is rather silly if it is done for some kind of "fashion", but if that's what someone wants to do who am I to criticize it? It doesn't hurt the dog and that is all I care about.

I put a warm coat on my small terrier if we are going outside when it is freezing out and I am pretty sure he appreciates it. I put a raincoat on him if we are going to do a freestyle performance and it is monsoon season and pouring, so that he won't be dripping water everywhere when we get into the performance area. If someone wants to tell me that's silly, let them, but I don't know why it should matter to anyone else.

I will always fail to understand why anyone wants to waste their time judging or criticizing another person for something they do when it is harmless and simply a matter of personal preference or taste. Me- I got much better things to do with my energy than to go around judging other people for things like that.

Exactly. Well said.

And, we all have different beliefs. No point in bringing religion into a discussion like this, really, because those beliefs are not held by everyone.

I see nothing wrong with hugging or kissing my dog as long as the dog doesn't mind. I don't do it in public a lot, bet then I don't hug other people or kiss them in public, either.

Hugging my dogs (the ones who enjoy it, that is) doesn't mean I don't know they are dogs. I like to hug them because they are dogs. I like them a whole lot more than most people.

As for putting clothes on a dog, where's the real harm in that? I think that it is rather silly if it is done for some kind of "fashion", but if that's what someone wants to do who am I to criticize it? It doesn't hurt the dog and that is all I care about.

I put a warm coat on my small terrier if we are going outside when it is freezing out and I am pretty sure he appreciates it. I put a raincoat on him if we are going to do a freestyle performance and it is monsoon season and pouring, so that he won't be dripping water everywhere when we get into the performance area. If someone wants to tell me that's silly, let them, but I don't know why it should matter to anyone else.

I will always fail to understand why anyone wants to waste their time judging or criticizing another person for something they do when it is harmless and simply a matter of personal preference or taste. Me- I got much better things to do with my energy than to go around judging other people for things like that.

Well said.

I have one dog that really seems to need hugs (Hank the terrier x ACD I think). He gets overwhelmed sometimes and I've found that a hug will 'ground him' so to speak and bring him immediately out of his anxiety. I almost wonder if it is acting like a thunder shirt would for him. When I've started offering him more hugs especially in new situations, he has become a lot more comfortable faster.