BC Boards

Weird squiggly thing that's part of my bcs eye?

Yesterday I came home from work to find my BC keeping one of his eyes closed most of the time, and having a bit of discharge. Upon inspection, I noticed a sizable squiggle that appeared to be part of his eye. I've never seen it before because normally his eyes are so dilated to take in light they are very dark in color. (turns out his eyes are a pretty soft brown)

I flushed his eye with water as best I could and it didn't appear to have any effect.

He's mostly blind with very little forward vision, and a bit of peripheral vision that disappears in low light, and is 1.5 years old. The vet has told us she thought he had BEA.

Does anyone have any idea what the squiggle on his eye might be?

We're going to go to the vet hopefully as soon as they can fit us in, but maybe someone already has some experience with this?

post-18310-0-92570400-1449583901_thumb.jpg

I thought parasite at first look too. When that show Monsters Inside Me was on, there was a story of a girl who had a worm in her eye and almost went blind. I seem to remember it was from a mosquito or something...

I would be curious to know what it is too. Best of luck that it isn't anything serious.

Sure as hell looks like a parasite. He's been partially blind for how long? Before the squiggle showed up?

I'd be rushing him to a vet ASAP. They may be able to save his vision if you get in soon enough.

Like seriously. Go now.

ETA: I didn't realize this was the same dog as the blind dog post. I still maintain that you should go quickly. I'd bet my eye teeth that this possible parasite has to do with his blindness.

I hadn't even considered a parasite.

We've had him for just over a month from the shelter now, and he's been mostly blind the whole time. He's never evinced any discomfort in his eyes before though, and as of right now it's just the one eye that is clearly troubled. We've never seen the squiggle before, but the vet inspected his eyes when I told her we didn't think he could see and thought he had Collie Eye Anomaly.

We have an appointment with the vet in less than an hour so hopefully we'll know something soon.

UPDATE:

Buddy does not have roundworms in his eyes. (Thank Goodness, and yes googling that was gross, but not totally different from what his eye looks like right now)

Turns out he was likely playing during his 4 hours of alone time during the day and managed to badly scratch his eye. He's gotten some medicine and now has some eyedrops. We're not sure what on earth he managed to scratch it on, but we'll go back through the house and further try to dog proof it.

Thank you everyone who responded and offered suggestions.

With a scratch, they go hazy and blue hours later. This one was caught quickly, which is fortunate. I've known many dogs where the owner put off having an eye injury looked at just to have the dog rub it on everything and injure it way worse. Several so bad that the eye had to be removed.

• 4 months later...

Yesterday I came home from work to find my BC keeping one of his eyes closed most of the time, and having a bit of discharge. Upon inspection, I noticed a sizable squiggle that appeared to be part of his eye. I've never seen it before because normally his eyes are so dilated to take in light they are very dark in color. (turns out his eyes are a pretty soft brown)

I flushed his eye with water as best I could and it didn't appear to have any effect.

He's mostly blind with very little forward vision, and a bit of peripheral vision that disappears in low light, and is 1.5 years old. The vet has told us she thought he had BEA.

Does anyone have any idea what the squiggle on his eye might be?

We're going to go to the vet hopefully as soon as they can fit us in, but maybe someone already has some experience with this?

My collie came from a farm with sheep and he has the little threads across his eyes and breaking up the pupils

13123386_10209236607383038_8944878479297

I had his eyes tested just before he was 2 yr old as he sometimes didn't seem to see things, but was told it was cos he was so focused and had a high prey drive, the vet said his eyes looked fine at the time. i pointed out the 'threads' she said that's just how his eyes have coloured as they look smudged like a water colour thats bled into its neighbouring colour.

As they said his sight was fine and my old girl was found to definitely have cataracts I think they felt i was just overly worrying cos she had been diagnosed as going blind.

However when my collie first came to me, he had ALOT of tummy troubles I was told to give him Panacur cos it was probably Giardia as he'd come for a farm with sheep. It took ages to clear initially and he appeared to be allergic to all different foods I tried and wasn't gaining in size or weight.

Eventually it seemed to settle down and he started to grow and catch up, but I never knew at that time that cause sight problems in the dog also. he's nearly 4 now and still appears to see things sometimes and not others. (will fail to see something right in front of him but can track a moving ball). I'm wondering if this parasite could have caused blind spots in his central vision would account for him seeing in some situations and struggling in others? He's never liked bright sunlight either and his pupils have always been like saucers. (again was told cos he was high drive and very excitable/intense). But if he did have 'blind spots' (or small spots where his vision is more blurry) then could the pupil be reacting to try and let more light in cos of them? which is why he doesn't like bright light (similar to snowblindness I guess?)

My collie came from a farm with sheep and he has the little threads across his eyes and breaking up the pupils

13123386_10209236607383038_8944878479297

I had his eyes tested just before he was 2 yr old as he sometimes didn't seem to see things, but was told it was cos he was so focused and had a high prey drive, the vet said his eyes looked fine at the time. i pointed out the 'threads' she said that's just how his eyes have coloured as they look smudged like a water colour thats bled into its neighbouring colour.

As they said his sight was fine and my old girl was found to definitely have cataracts I think they felt i was just overly worrying cos she had been diagnosed as going blind.

However when my collie first came to me, he had ALOT of tummy troubles I was told to give him Panacur cos it was probably Giardia as he'd come for a farm with sheep. It took ages to clear initially and he appeared to be allergic to all different foods I tried and wasn't gaining in size or weight.

Eventually it seemed to settle down and he started to grow and catch up, but I never knew at that time that cause sight problems in the dog also. he's nearly 4 now and still appears to see things sometimes and not others. (will fail to see something right in front of him but can track a moving ball). I'm wondering if this parasite could have caused blind spots in his central vision would account for him seeing in some situations and struggling in others? He's never liked bright sunlight either and his pupils have always been like saucers. (again was told cos he was high drive and very excitable/intense). But if he did have 'blind spots' (or small spots where his vision is more blurry) then could the pupil be reacting to try and let more light in cos of them? which is why he doesn't like bright light (similar to snowblindness I guess?)

We've since seen a better vet who explained that those are folds , and that his eye never developed properly. She said he was completely blind in the one eye, with some light sensitivity in the other. Buddy has also had a fractious stomach, and though it's settled down some now he still occasionally will out of the blue have problems. Thus far he's done best with the Canidae grain free lines and the all life stages, and his upsets are so rare now we're probably going to stick with it.

Buddy sometimes seems to see better than other times as well, and he can always chase balls, but he listens for the bounces or the sound of my arm moving, if we make sure to do things in higher light and on the right side, he will see us throw, or at least appear to. He reacts to bright lights being shone into his eyes too, and I don't like when that happens to me so i assume he doesn't like it for similar reasons.

Buddy stays completely dilated in the eye all the time to let in as much light as possible. When I've met other blind dogs this seems to be a common feature, even if the sight is completely gone. I don't think it has anything to do with being excitable or intense. Buddy can be sweet and sleepy and not un-dilate a bit. Honestly, we went to two different vets before we found one who was actually looking at our dog and diagnosing him, not just repeating platitudes or generic diagnoses. I'd suggest looking some more so if your dog has a condition that can be helped, he can actually get it.

FWIW Bodhi's eyes are almost always widely dilated and his vision seems to be fine. He's been examined by his regular vet and a canine ophthalmologist at Cornell. The ophthalmologist noticed he has the beginnings of some cataracts but said that otherwise his eyes were fine. He only saw him after he'd gotten drops to dilate his pupils and I didn't think to ask him about it, but he sees him again in May so I'll ask him to look at them before the drops are administered.