BC Boards

Preferred type of dog bed?

I have 2 memory-foam beds.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005CWUS26?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

$55.00

post-10533-0-91084200-1447879981_thumb.jpg This one is a solid slab of memory foam welded to a slab of regular foam. Cover zips off easily and it washes well. I think the price is very good, given that it is memory foam. It is currently in Maid's crate.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003E47340?keywords=Serta%20memory%20foam%20dog%20bed&qid=1447878904&ref_=sr_1_3&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-3

$114.00

post-10533-0-46445700-1447880088_thumb.jpg This one is a Serta product, and although it is memory foam, it is shredded memory foam. Some reviewers complained about this, but I have found the bed to be quite satisfactory. It is definitely the favored bed in the house. It is over a year old now and the cover still washes up bright and fresh. The top is fake fleece, the bottom is pseudo-suede. My only complaint is the inner liner bag. It is made of very thin material that tears easily. One must handle it very gently when removing it from and replacing it in the cover. All in all it is highly satisfactory, and seems likely to last a long time. A bit pricey, but I think it was worth the asking price.

The third bed is big enough for both dogs if they curl up - luxurious for one to stretch out on. It's a discarded yard-bench cushion that someone tossed in our dumpster. I have to clean it with Woolite foam, because the cover doesn't come off. But the price was right, and the dogs hang out on it under my desk when I'm working. The desk has a glass top, so I can see them when I'm working.

post-10533-0-09519500-1447881227_thumb.jpg

I have had the big, round fiber-fill beds from Costco that Julie mentioned. They are excellent. I had one - I paid $20.00 new - that lasted 7 years before the cover started getting a bit threadbare, and it stayed poofy very well. I added a bit of fiber-fill at 5 years, as it lost a little of it's loft, but the cover always washed very well and dried quickly.

I took one of those memory foam mattress toppers and cut it up to dog bed size pieces and made "pillow cases" for them. The BCs won't use them, in fact it took them 1 1/2 years to get on the one on my side of the bed, they hate it so much. The little old lady JRT and the cats like them though, so not a total waste.

First preference is always the couch or bed, of course.

But I made a couple "memory foam" dog beds out of the 4" thick foam in the carpet section of Home Depot. Cost 20 bucks for a pad big enough to make two jumbo beds, or 3 smaller ones. I got the discount buck a yard fleece at Walmart and made no sew pillowcases. I could sew them, but that usually results in the machine going through a window. I left one side open, so I can easily slip off the fleece and wash it. I wanted something flat but supportive, as I drag these to all the horse shows. I scribe, so some days are very long and I wanted something comfortable for him. And at about $15 each, they were cost effective.

I also give a thumbs up to the Costco beds. They never seem to let me down.

I have a couple of these beds with the microfiber covers and have had them for many years. They are not super cheap but they wash well, maintain their loft and remain new looking. I have a donut bed that's at least 11 years old and still looks great.

http://www.foryourdogsonly.com/

As I type this:

dog%20bed_zpsusfslgsd.jpg

I bought a shredded memory foam bed for Buddy when he started to get achy, but he would not set foot on it. Literally. I put it on Craigslist for free and a very happy dog owner came and got it.

Cricket will lie on anything fabric that is on the floor. After she gets wet, I put a towel on her folded up blanket and she rolls all over it; then it stays on the floor for a while and she treats it like her second bed in the living room.

I'm thinking that since this dog seems content with blankets, I'll buy one of those microfiber bath mats I see everywhere as an "anchor" for whatever blanket I lay on top of it. She tends to tug her blanket around while wrestling with her toys, and I think a bath mat will soften up her area and hold the blanket in place. These are always available at Marshalls and TJMaxx for something like $10:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item-img/New-Arrival-Microfiber-Chenille-40CM-60CM-bath-mats-mini-Mats-for-doormat-carpet-non-slip-in/32467699127.html

(I've never had a small dog before, but I've gotta say: her ability to squeeze into small areas and lie on small things is highly convenient!)

These padded bath mats are great! I use them in the dog crates as the sizes are pretty compatible with crate sizes.

Walmart has them too.

, I'll buy one of those microfiber bath mats I see everywhere as an "anchor" for whatever blanket I lay on top of it. She tends to tug her blanket around while wrestling with her toys, and I think a bath mat will soften up her area and hold the blanket in place. These are always available at Marshalls and TJMaxx for something like $10:

I use the memory foam bath mats in crates as well for dogs who need extra padding and won't destroy them. Other relatively cheap crate bed options are the Mexican-style blankets you can find at truck stops and plain cotton bath mats folded in half <--these were what I used exclusively for years, but as they've worn out I've replaced them with other things, not because I didn't like them but because I happened to have other things on hand that would work. The dogs who will chew bedding in crates get nothing.

J.

Dog beds...we have a few. Both the girls love sitting on something cushy; my bed, the sofa, or a chair. Tex likes a bed at night. It’s a 6 inch ortho bed with an old down comforter folded on top. Other than bedtime, he’d rather lay on the wood or tile floors. Georgia has a 6 inch memory foam bed in her crate. It has bolsters on three sides. She must like it because she chooses frequently to go in there to lie down. Faith only has a Primo Pad in her day time crate because she shreds when I’m not there. In her night time crate (door is left open) she has a memory foam bath mat and a couple thin handmade beds. In the living room is the “triple decker”: an old foam dog bed topped with a handmade bed, topped with a donut bed. Faith and Georgia trade spots all evening. Once I did see Tex in it.

post-7141-0-50271300-1447949390_thumb.jpg

post-7141-0-91420500-1447949408_thumb.jpg

post-7141-0-13179400-1447949458_thumb.jpg

My dog currently has fleece blankets in his crate. Found them on sale. We also have some of the mexican style blankets that we found at garage sales for cheap. They get rotated.

At one point he had my old memory foam pillow but he started to rip it up which is the same thing that happened to the previous dog bed he had. No more fancy dog beds for Toby! He seems to enjoy his crate/bed and will put himself to sleep If we are awake past his usual bed time. I don't bother getting a dog bed for the outside of his crate because I believe he would rip it up and he likes to be near us on the couch or on the bed anyway.

I took one of those memory foam mattress toppers and cut it up to dog bed size pieces and made "pillow cases" for them. The BCs won't use them, in fact it took them 1 1/2 years to get on the one on my side of the bed, they hate it so much. The little old lady JRT and the cats like them though, so not a total waste.

That's what I did when we were throwing out an old one. I replaced the stuffing in one of Kieran's beds with that and also stuck one in his crate. He mostly uses the cheap bed, though.

I've been trying to preserve that original polyfill bed, but he ripped holes in the corners and likes to unstuff them <_< . I have to put blankets over it and even then he'll nose around for the tear.

• 4 years later...