BC Boards

Urinary incontinence

Kenbo

On Thursday, I notices our 6 year old female BC had urinated in the house which she has never done. Watching her, I have noticed several spots since Thursday. Saturday, we went to the Vet and two possibilities were suggested. Bladder infection or urinary incontinence.

After the results came back today, a bladder infection was ruled out. We are trying electrolyte stimulation but I believe it to be urinary incontinence and the Vet agrees. Tonight when I fed her in the kennel, she laid down and there were 3 small spots of urine. As she walked by, I check her bottom and it was wet so she is leaking even while not sleeping.

Having had many dogs, this is a first. She was not put on medication yet because he wanted to see if it was an electrolyte issue but I feel it is not. She is healthy and very active.

Has anyone experienced this? What am I to expect with the medication and long term? Thanks… I hate it when the dogs are sick…

My girl has been on Proin for incontinence for years, with no issues. Well, she does get UTIs on occasion, but I'm not 100% sure it has anything to do with the other, but possibly. Anyway, no side effects from the Proin at all and she's 13 years old now. We've always kept her at a lower dosage than the prescribed amount, actually, in order to have room to increase it if needed. If your girlie ends up needing the medication, I'm sure she'll be fine, and it does solve the leaking problem.

I had pretty much the same experience as Paula. My spayed female started leaking around age 7. She was on Proin for the rest of her life (she made it to a month shy of her 17th birthday), without any issues whatsoever. This is not a highly unusual issue for middle aged female dogs.

J.

Megan has been on Proin for about half a year, and it has really helped her. One does need to be extra vigilant in watching for symptoms of a UTI because Proin can mask some of the more obvious symptoms and you don't want a dog with a UTI retaining urine.

Very best wishes!

I used both Proin and DES (a hormone) with success at different times.

That said....my ol' girl did get very mild UTIs moderately frequently. When she was 8 years old, she had some major dental work done (she had bad teeth when I got her at age 4, but had seen the vet dentist pretty regularly). Turned out she had 4 lower incisors pulled - which were abscessed. THAT was likely causing the UTIs - think, low grade infection circulating throughout the body. After that dental work, she was clear of UTIs *and* incontinence for about 4-5 years. It showed up again when she was quite a bit older (and lived to almost 17 on one or the other meds till then).

diane

Thanks for the info, I am a worrier and hate it when the dogs feel bad or are hurt. I have 9 BC's and one GSD. The medication looks like it will do the job. I had a friend tell me about VetriScience Bladder Control. I will do the medication. and will talk to the Dr on Wednesday. This is suppose to help too. Not looking for an alternative but just wanted to know if anyone used it...

http://www.chewy.com/dog/vetriscience-bladder-strength-dog/dp/42068?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=VetriScience&utm_term=&gclid=COyRxuD4hckCFVKDfgodRAcKvQ

When Tilly started leaking I'd read about using apple cider vinegar. I just added it to her drinking water, I think about a teaspoon or 2 in a 2 quart bowl. The leaking stopped. I don't remember how long it took, but it was fairly quickly, maybe a week or 2.

If you try this it should be the organic ACV with the mother in it. I've also read you can add it to yogurt.

Later on when she developed full blown incontinence, not able top control when and where she'd pee, I also put her on proin. It worked for a while then later didn't seem to make a difference. But by this point she was 16+ years old and up to her death at 2 months shy of an approximate 18.

Pretty common issue in spayed females. My Rose has urinary incontinence along with many other urinary issues. It can be treated using a few different medications although to date all affected dogs I've owned have been treated with Proin. It's usually pretty easy to treat, your vet will know the best option for your dog, and I'm sure your vet will get it under control. So no worries, although your dog may be restricted to the linoleum floor for a while. ;)

Bethany

I had a spayed Doberman Pinscher that developed urinary incontinence at about 6 years old. My vet put her on DES (Diethylstilbestrol) and it worked fine. She was on it until she died. Before that she would have sudden flooding issues. She'd be lying down, and suddenly leap up and sniff her bottom and there would be a big puddle. She didn't even know it was happening until she felt the wet on her skin.

After two days, she had not lad a problem at all. so far, so good...

I saw it immediately. She has not has a single leak in over six months except when she developed a bladder infection, which we caught and treated early.

Abby is a very active dog and most of my dogs run free on our fenced 10 acres. They do stay near me but usually go to the bathroom in the woods. What signs you you look for with an upcoming infection?

My 10yo Ella developed mild incontinence this summer shortly before I left for chiro school (UTI ruled out for sure). She was on Proin for about 2 months while I was away and never had an issue. When I got home I gave her a good chiro exam and found several issues, the most significant being in her pelvis. Since chiro's goal is to restore normal nervous pathways, I tried stopping her Proin. Hasn't had a problem since.

Just a cool story I thought I'd share :)

Signs of infection can include a number of things - noticeably more frequent urination; leaks (accidents/not being able to "hold" urine as normal); increased or more intense licking of the vulva; strong-smelling urine; new, more frequent, or increased sniffing of the vulva/hindquarters by other dogs; straining when urinating; looking "uncomfortable" (or stressed) when urinating.

Many UTIs involve discomfort, a frequent urge to "go", a hard time holding urine even when the bladder isn't full, discomfort when urinating. I won't say that all do because I don't know.

Struvite crystals in the urine can also result in some of these symptoms as they can be irritating when passing urine. I don't think other crystals do the same but again, I don't know.

Vets can examine a caught sample of urine for color, smell, bacteria, crystals, pus, or other indicators. An increased white blood cell count may indicate infection (any infection, not just a UTI). Sterile samples can be taken by catheter (which I understand many vets do not recommend) or by inserting a sterile needle into the bladder (often guided by ultrasound) to get a sample that won't be contaminated in the collection. A sample gathered in this manner can be cultured and if it appears there is an infection, sensitivity tests can be run to determine the best option for treatment.

Probably more than you wanted to know and probably more than I should be saying as I am not a veterinary health care professional, just someone who's had dogs with UTIs on occasion, and had a few myself over my lifetime.

• 2 weeks later...