BC Boards

Warning: Disgusting Post (Anal Gland Issue)... Info, Help?

My new dog came up from the south on a transport; one thing I noticed was that she smelled disgusting! Gave her a bath the first morning she was with me, because I couldn't bear the smell.

Since then, I've seen at least three incidents where her anal glands just suddenly squirt fluid. Once, two neighbor dogs (big) charged us, and I picked her up, and when we got home I realized she had expressed her glands on ME. Two other times, she's been lying on the couch and bed, and acted rather surprised and started licking her butt... and the stuff was on my blankets. (So disgusting in the middle of the night!!) It could be related to fear or nervousness, but the most recent events didn't seem to happen at scary times.

I've never had a dog whose glands just squirted before. Any previous problems have been related to NOT being able to express the glands. I've never seen evidence of the fluid before - just took the dogs to the vet to have the glands expressed.

I've seen her scoot on my father's rug once or twice, which might mean she's uncomfortable. But in general, she seems fine.

Any info in similar experiences? Products that help with this? Such a disgusting problem!

I would suspect an abscess and take the pup to a vet before it ruptures. I could be wrong. But yes, I've had a dog whose anal glands developed an abscess and ruptured before he showed any obvious signs of impaction/infection (or before I caught it; still kicking myself for that one). My vet gave me a topical, Synotic was the trade name, which healed it up quickly.

ETA: I just recalled another dog, a female, that expressed her anal glands from fear (dog fight), and I do remember that she kept looking back and licking the area that day. But this did not continue and it wasn't a medical issue, as it turns out. It is the leaking and scooting and continuing bad smell that would make me suspect an abscess, but I'm not a vet.

ETA Redux: "Another possibility is that there is a medical condition. I have seen this happen when an animal has infected anal glands. The infection causes more and more "stuff" to be produced. Then this leads to leakage." --Source: "Dr Marie Haynes" @http://www.askavetquestion.com/answer_np.php?id=4233-leaking-anal-glands

Some dogs do have problems with Anal glands. They express naturally on poop every time, it is their scent mark and the reason other dogs sniff poop. They know Fluffy from up the road has been here. IF stools are soft when the pop it does not put any pressure on the glands and does not express well. Many people are able to add a bit more fiber to the diet to take care of the problem. Pumpkins works well for this, some add metamucil. Yes they naturally express when scared.

If a dogs glands are full they can express them just by standing, moving, ect. I would express them or have them expressed and add fiber to the diet. Rubbing on grass or carpet can make them express but to me that indicated they are uncomfortable and I express them.

They can become infected and abscess but that is not all that common. You would see an abscess if you looked. Best to have the vet take a look and go from there. Most will suggest adding fiber to her diet to help her express them naturally. I do know a dog that had surgery to remove hers because they were a constant problem.

Food sensitivity issues can make dogs overproduce that nasty stuff, so if you see any signs that may point to a food issue, change foods.

Didn't know this, Gideon's Girl. Thanks.

"Another cause for scooting: allergies, particularly food allergies. Undigested allergenic food particles that come in contact with anal tissue can cause inflammation and itching. Scooting helps to relieve the itch but can damage tender tissue and allow the allergenic substances to work deeper into the tissue." Source: Dr. Marvin Ordway @http://seniorfan.com/2012/12/the-vet-is-in/

I would second the recommendation to get it checked by a vet.

If all is clear medically, I would look into food options.

My Maddie used to express her anal glands relatively frequently. When I started feeding her chicken necks daily that cleared up and she hardly ever expressed them after that.

I'm not saying that is the only solution, but it worked well for her.

But do make sure there isn't a medical issue.

I've had two dogs who would randomly express their anal glands. One is our current big dog, who will quite readily express them out of fear. The other was our late cavalier king charles spaniel, who was less predictable. He'd express them on car rides, which weren't remotely stressful. He'd also do it randomly at home. The big dog had intestinal issues and subsequent anal gland issues, but the other never had any problem, unless you count easy expression. :)

It probably wouldn't hurt to ask a vet. I'd at least be looking at her diet, and possibly expressing them myself. Less than firm poops can leave them too full.

Just to mention, I don't know that an abscess would be obvious. Different species, but both of my cats have blown anal glands and gave absolutely no hint of a problem until they woke up to holes in their butts.

Fearful dogs often express their anal glands easily. So that may be at least part of it.

I'd be inclined to have a vet check it out as well, and if nothing's found, I'd be inclined to add some bulk to her diet, either in the form of edible bones or something like pumpkin.

Good luck.It's not a pleasant issue to have with your dog. :(

Just to mention, I don't know that an abscess would be obvious. Different species, but both of my cats have blown anal glands and gave absolutely no hint of a problem until they woke up to holes in their butts.

This was my experience (with a dog). I was pretty familiar with emptying anal glands from my grooming days, but I didn't see any issues with this dog until, much like your cats, the abscess ruptured. Normally I would expect to see redness and swelling around the area before a rupture, and scooting from the discomfort. Although I cannot discount my own rather poor eyesight, I am usually especially attentive to possible symptoms of illness in dogs. Also, my experience probably explains my alarmist initial post (though not inadvertently conflating "abscess" and "infection"; there is some relationship, but they are not the same).

Thanks for the replies! I spoke to the vet on the phone; they're prone to think this is a matter of the glands expressing too quickly/easily rather than being impacted, but I'll keep my eyes open for scooting or chewing. I'll also work on adding fiber; her poop is largish but has never been particularly firm.

Yes, it's very unpleasant. She's an utter delight but this is a black mark on her perfect record. :)

To add fiber you can also add Fiber One or All Bran to her food. Add one teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight once a day and see how her stools firm up. Also, you could have the vet teach you (or I think there is probably a You Tube video) of how to express anal glands and do them monthly and see how things go. My first Border Collie expressed his anal glands on my car seat when I left him in the car to do errands. He wasn't scared, they were just full! After that I have always checked anal glands monthly, before I bathe them!!!

• 1 year later...

Gentle Lake mentioned that fear can make a border collie express her glands. She does express them when she has fear. She also expresses them when we play ball.

I took my vet to the vet to have her anal glands expressed and the next day she had expressed them all over her rear end as it was wet and stinky. The next day I took her to a different vet, and he said that one was 1/2 full and the other 3/4. Only dark liquid comes out. Today she expressed them on her bed covers, and she had just been to the vet yesterday. He said they are not inflamed. How soon do glands fill up?

I am seeing a pattern. She hates being bathed, even if I am only washing her rear end, and she hates being brushed, so if I do any of these things, the next day I will have to bathe her again, and again.

I was giving her a grated carrot daily, but I just learned that pumpkin has more fiber. But if it is that she is just afraid, then I don't know what to do.

Laura, did you have to keep changing the food?

It happened to 2 dogs. One went from pedigree (I know...Horrible food) to Purina one. That was years ago. The other one went from science diet (once again...I know. Horrible food) to taste of the wild.