BC Boards

Evaluating a Dog

geonni banner

I have received help here.

And encouragement

and with kindly helpful intentions

These 'chat rooms' whoa is this a chat room, never knew that.

Are as good as the people who write here.

And there are some here, like Julie, like Denice and Many others, and not to mention the HA and Eileen who host this thing, give away knowledge to anyone who ask.

But they are sweet people who want to help.

I will now try to post a photo of a dog working if I can.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First photo is Taw moving undogged flock at the SDT where we evacuated to during Fires. I love this Photo as these sheep were reluctant. But not for Taw as you see they are all grouped well and marching forward and Taw is a ways back.

The Other is Blood Sucking Fly Man walking up on a few little heifers.

As you see, the one is eyeing him, because they don't really trust him with their backs.....

The last is my favorite of Taw showing who she is by the look on her face.

attached a clearer photo

post-8684-0-50205600-1447763470_thumb.jpg

post-8684-0-00620300-1447763506_thumb.jpg

post-8684-0-95148400-1447763549_thumb.jpg

post-8684-0-61382800-1447765147_thumb.jpg

There are many reasons for a dog to be "grippy". I feel you need to figure out why to be able to help the dog and stop it. Some do not understand the stock is AS important as their dog if not more. Some grip from frustration, confusion, nervous..and most of the time you can see other signs that lead you to believe you can help that dog overcome the problem. There are some dogs that simply grip and there does not seem to be a reason or pattern. These dogs are tough, some will mature out of it, some will not. Each owner and trainer has to decide if progressing with that dog is worth it. I myself can help the dogs that are worried and nervous and help them gain confidence and the biting ends, no problem. Those dogs I do not understand the reason for gripping and can not stop from gripping make me nervous and that is not things worse. I know my limitations and what dogs I enjoy working with.

Working / training a dog in a public setting is difficult unless it all goes well. Some dogs need encouragement some dogs need taken down a couple notching. There is a fine line you are walking between correcting a dog enough to get him to understand chewying on sheep is not acceptable, taking care of your stock and giving your best to the owner who is paying you and realizing that most people paying for lessons do it as a hobby and do not Need This dog to work stock.

I respect a person who says I can not help you with this or this dog and gives you alternatives. I would find no fault in someone who did that with any dog regardless of breed.

I will say working with different dogs and different breeds will make you really see the dog and expand your tools to help each dog. Those of us who use our dogs daily for chores are by far the minority. I have no problem helping someone learn about sheep and working breeds that do for fun as long they understand both the sheep and the dog will be respected.

There are many reasons for a dog to be "grippy"....

'snip'

... I have no problem helping someone learn about sheep and working breeds that do for fun as long they understand both the sheep and the dog will be respected.

Thanks for this. It supports my inexperienced impressions. I have been at pains to state that I am mindful of the welfare of the stock and the dog, and I feel that Joyce is showing that as well.