BC Boards

Not a BC - but agility and a shameless brag.

Agility is pretty quiet for me right now. Weekly lesson, maybe a whole half hour in the entire week out in the yard, but we're not doing much and it's kind of nice for now - at least given the heat. We only have about 3 more trials all year and they're spread from Mid-September to the end of October, anyway.

What we have worked on and seem to have accomplished is both running and stopped contacts. I'm pretty danged proud of that, even if I didn't have to do much to teach running to Kylie, given her stride length. Being able to choose which I want has been nice.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the pic of Kylie that features your legs, it looks like she's licking the denim, maybe to get a taste of you? and the static electric tail feathers! That's a riot.

Ruth and Gibbs

I honestly have NO idea what she was doing. Licking, barking, panting - something was happening, but all I'm sure of was that it was the end of a run.

The tunnel static shots *kill* me. Hazards of fluff.

Really cute. Love the pics.

What a sweetie!

Thanks guys! I really, really love those photographs. Will probably schlep the Boston Terrier to Roanoke in September and do an intro round or two with her just in hopes of Irene getting some pictures!

Total aside but we did a demo today that was an AKC JWW course (+ teeter). We skipped that teeter but even after not having seen a tire in 2 years, never having seen a spread jump she did well. DID NOT like the AKC weave based but got through.

Then went for a swim. Also really did well with people petting and loving her up which was nice.

Aww, I love the photos!

That photographer is just incredibly good.

And: I DID DISTANCE! I mean mostly a straight line but I got the dog off the contact, she stayed out AND we did a discrimination. I am OVER THE MOON about this! I've had titles that excited me less.

• 4 weeks later...

I DID DISTANCE! I mean mostly a straight line but I got the dog off the contact, she stayed out AND we did a discrimination.

I CAN REAR CROSS THE DOG IN WEAVES AND HAVE HER STAY IN THEM.

Not a clue what you're talking about but I think the feeling is like when the dog does not do a crossover on a blind outrun in double fetch? :lol:

Not a clue what you're talking about but I think the feeling is like when the dog does not do a crossover on a blind outrun in double fetch? :lol:

I know what an outrun and a fetch are!

But yeah, probably! I'm all proud and excited! God, I love dogs.

Hey look. It's a BC doing some agility (the 'field' is a joke because of heat and back problems making mowing that area impossible right now, the obstacles are spaced too close because of a thing I'm doing with my other dog (the hoops are there to give her a target to drive toward) and I'm late as SNOT on all my verbals -

But it's a BC doing an agility like thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Not at all in order, but our recent trial video. First run is my 10.5 year old deaf Boston playing in intro. Kylie after that, with varying speeds and degrees of success.

Back tomorrow, but today was good. Open Jumpers Title in spite of it being her 5th run of the day in heat and dragging butt, and we need one more Chances Q for novice versatility and one more Open Tunnelers Q for that title. I'll take it.

Things I'm actually happy about? She didn't spin in her switches, once. I'm proud of the handling decisions on that jumpers course, knowing she'd be tired. They worked and I think had I chosen anything else, we would not have made time. At all. I like the WHOLE Tunnelers course, and I'm pretty stinking proud of the first half of T'n'G before she blew the discrimination (she has NEVER missed a discrimination in favor of the tunnel before - wild).

And Bug. Bug's old, deaf, and has had very, very minimal agility training. She was so happy and proud to get to go play.

• 2 weeks later...

Every once in a while someone asks me when I'm going to stop running Kylie, since I have a BC, now.

Don't get me wrong, Molly is a blast (though oh my god I have a lot of things I have to do better with her) , but um. No time soon.

Not when we get stuff like this - with a happy dog and a happy me.

CptJack is that a regular NADAC agility run? It looks like they have done away with jumps.

No, that's Touch and Go. Jumps and Weaves are still very much present - just not in that game class. It's also like Tunnelers, where the course in the same at all levels, only the time changes. (Weaves show in chances, weavers, and regular. Jumps are in Jumpers, Chances, Weavers, and Regular.)

My dog and I loved touch n go. When I competed in NADAC circa 2005-2008 or so, they had just started introducing hoops, but the games still mostly had jumps. Barrels had yet to be introduced.

It's interesting to see how the various venues have evolved.

It is. Touch-n-Go is absolutely my favorite, especially with Kylie, at least now where we have enough training and experience that it's not so much a challenge handling wise as a 'go fast!' one. She's more likely to make elite tunnelers times there than in actual tunnelers (Elite tunnelers having the tightest YPS requirements).

• 1 month later...

I just realized I never updated here.

Kylie got 7 Qs at the last trial. 4 Elite Regular, 2 Elite T'n'G, all with the highest YPS I've ever seen from her, and her first Open weavers.

I need to settle down and get serious on both jumpers and chances. Chances we're really hit and miss on, and still in Novice. She's finished Open Jumpers, but I cannot for the life of me keep my head straight on the more complicated elite jumpers courses. I probably need to just suck it up, start running them and use the practice. Chances, I just - Need to work, and work fairly hard on both her confidence further away and my handling skills.

Anyway, we're done until New Year's eve. Time to set some new goals, make some new plans, and see what we can make happen for 2017.

• 1 month later...

I really need to combine these into a 'CptJack's agility thread' soon, but meanwhile there was some talk at some point about NADAC courses.

This has regular (first) and Touch and Go (third), if anyone's still interested. Some foibles in the regular runs, like, oh, "I forgot the course and remembered in the last second possible" and a botched rear, but they're clean.