BC Boards

Tucker's Training

Will C

I was able to get ahold of one of the trainers in my area and she is letting me join in as a walkin in a class that is in progress. She is sure she can stop Tucker's leash pulling. There is only 5 weeks left in the class but she is willing to work with me. I at least have a decent start because I have him obeying the sit, down, and stay command. The biggest problem is getting him to pay attention which she said she will be able to help me resolve.

Class is Thursday night so I will let you all know how it goes. Wish us luck.

Best of luck, as requested :D

Kellie and I also started classes, her problem is obeying commands when other dogs are in the room. She wants to play, not work :rolleyes: But we're getting better.

Well, I am hoping that we can get this pull thing under control. We have been having really good leash free playtime in our yard. I have walked him around the border several different times and he seems to know where the boundaries are. I have been able to get him to follow some hand signals to direct him left or right and he also will sit, down, and stay from a distance with voice and hand commands. If his progress continues the way it has in the 3 weeks that we have owned him, then he should be great for obedience, agility, and herding if I ever get to that point. I would love to have someone near that could see if he would work sheep. I don't know if there is anyone in my area or not.

Less than 12 hours we'll be in class. Can't wait to see what happens.

Well, Tucker had his first class tonight and of course he showed them all up. I actually put a pinch collar on him at the class. It really didn't have to do any correction because as soon as he moved he realized things were different. He did everything just like he had been doing it for years. Of course as soon as the collar came off he was right back to pulling. I am trying to figure out what I am going to do to get to the point of not needing the pinch collar. I tried the Halti and that was a big no go. He was out of that in seconds.

I am hoping that he will learn the commands and then he won't need the collar but I had to get his attention some how. I tried treats but that didn't get it his attention. Too many other things more interesting. He did love the other dogs though which was big relief.

Originally posted by CollieKat:

Have you tried a martingale collar at all?

I didn't know if they made them. I have used martingales on horses before but I didn't realize they made them for dogs.

He is coming along pretty nice. Today I had him out playing frisbie and one of the neighbors were mowing there lawn with a push mower and he took off. I called out his name and told him down and he did it. I then called him to me praised him and then downed him so I could go get the frisbie. After I retrieved the frisbie I hooked the leash to his regular collar and did some obedience. I did some healing, sitting, and downing. I downed him and walked about 50 feet away and waited and then called him. I let him go about 15 feet and then downed him. He obeyed! I called him again and let him go about 20 more feet and downed him again. He did it again! I waited a few minutes and then called him in. He sat infront of me. I gave him a treat, praised him, and pet him like crazy. For having him 5 weeks he is doing great. I guess I am doing something right.

The prong collar can be a great tool to remind the dog of what you want, and to keep them from pulling, if it fits correctly and is used correctly.

One advantage of a prong collar is that you can wean the dog off of it over time, by using 2 leashes, one on the regular collar and one on the prong collar. The prong collar is used then to deliver a quick little "reminder" signal if the dog pulls on the regular collar/leash. AFter some time, the dog will respond to the pressure of the regular collar and will no longer need the prong collar.

It sounds like you are off to a good start in training your dog. When he does something like you described here, coming back from a big distraction, make sure you really "have a party" and reward him big time.

Deanna in OR

Originally posted by Deanna in OR:

The prong collar can be a great tool to remind the dog of what you want, and to keep them from pulling, if it fits correctly and is used correctly.

I have a couple of prong collars but they don't seem to fit tight enough. They tend to slide a little and then the leash ends up at the side instead of the top so if you correct, it pulls his head sideways. If I take out anymore links there won't be enough left make any correction. He still seems to pull more than he should. His neck ends up pink from the collar prongs.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I hate prong collars, but that's just me. I picked up a leash which has a normal hook on the end, a padded section so you could make it into a "slip over the head" deal, AND a section of very stretchy bungee-like material. Its amazing how little, if at all, my puller pulls with this leash! So much gentler...

:rolleyes: Could not help myself when I saw this... I'm sure you were kidding about the comparision.

I didn't know if they made them. I have used martingales on horses before but I didn't realize they made them for dogs.
Martingale collars are also known as limited-slip or limited-choke collars.

The prong collar you have is probably limited--there are the prong parts and then the chain links that slide through loops to pull it tight but then release right away. Martingale collars are like that but no pronts, no chain (usually).

I have seen two nylon ones and one chain/nylon combination.

CC-CO-RBstill.gif

ltdslip1.jpg

MGM_200.jpg

Allie