BC Boards

Relaxing Music for Dogs

I know it's long past the 4th of July and thunderstorm season is largely over in the US, but since the topics of noise, thunder and firework phobia and other anxiety issues comes up pretty regularly, I thought I'd post this.

I haven't listened to it or any of the ones linked on the right side of the page, but they might be worth trying for some of the anxious pups out there.

I tried this. My house is always really quiet because I have severe hearing loss. No TV or radio or anything going on. So my dogs react to any strange noise in the house.

I started playing this and everybody's ears went up. Joe came running in from the living room and just stood there with his head cocked and his tongue sticking out between his teeth.

They were very interested but they weren't relaxed.

I played wolf sounds for them a few days ago. The howls didn't get much attention. The growls got more. The last time I tried that the sound of puppies really had them going, and the sound of the alert bark. Boy, when that alert bark sounded all dogs had ears up and were looking around.

When traveling in the car for long periods with the dogs I listen to the symphony channel on XM. Typically we'll be going to an agility trial. I have to say I have noticed a slight change in their moods (calmer) than when I played MY music. Sometimes Ieave an iPod and a little speaker with quiet music in a crate at the trial site.

I've played wolf howls before. One dog occasionally thinks they're interesting. They get very interested in coyote calls.

Dixie drags me down the street when the kids set of fireworks! Then she sits and watches the show. Yes, a very strange dog. Then again, while we are pretty sure she is half border collie, or (adult) kids are convinced she is a lot jackal.

My dogs flake out when I play Mozart. Not the noisy, symphonies, but the violin concertos. They also chill with Hawai'ian music like Gabby Pahinui and Iz Kamakawiwo'ole.

They get all hyper and have zoomies when I play The Pains of Being Pure at Heart, Trentmoller or the Fight Club orTekkonkinkreet soundtracks.

They pretty much ignore everything else. Although they occasionally seem a bit alarmed by Jason Webley.

I sing to Dixie after her bedtime walk. My repertoire is a few simple hymns from when I was in Rainbow Girls, some minstrel show songs from Gramps (Pete the Minstrel Man), or fight songs from high school. One a night. She is the only one who appreciates my singing. Well, Maggie Da Cat seems to hang around to listen.