BC Boards

Westminster Agility and Obedience

Yes, I know Westminster is a dirty subject but I'm fishing for background for a discussion elsewhere.

I'm being told that crossbreed can compete. Is that on exactly the same basis as pedigrees now or are there still points of discrimination?

I get the impression that Agility still isn't part of the main event, taking place beforehand.

Does Obedience physically form part of the main business or is it shuffled off out of the way?

Thanks in advance.

This web page might answer your questions - www.westminsterkennelclub.org/2016/show/obedience.html

Apparently this will be the first year for obedience, in limited classes and by invitation only, but including mixed-breeds, at Westminster. Agility will be on Saturday, obedience on Monday, and breed judging on Monday and Tuesday at the same locations, according to the page. Groups and Best in Show will be in the evenings elsewhere.

My understanding from my trainer (at least with agility) is that all dogs even 'all Americans' AKA mixes can compete directly against eachother with 'no bias'. The only limitation is that the non-AKC dogs must be spayed/neutered.

The agility event does take place before hand.

Not sure.

Westminster is a weird system so instead of the top 10 dogs of each height making finals only 3? (Or is it 2? I think 3...) of a breed can make it to finals in that height. Then it goes to the next non whatever breed in that height. I always assumed that mixed breeds would count together as a 'breed'

Aren't the number of mixed breeds limited so that they don't exceed a certain percentage of total dogs? (Not sure it's stated as definitively as that, but it seems to me I've seen something to that effect.) Or am I hallucinating?

Kind of. They limit all breeds in the final round. So there's a standard course and a JWW course and they are time plus faults.

So they add up all the scores. The Championship round is a Time 2 Beat course with a dogwalk. It is also ran time plus faults.

Then this happens:

7 A maximum of 10 dogs from each jump height will be selected for the Championship round.

8. In each jump height, the top 3 qualifying dogs, regardless of breed, will be chosen for the Championship round. After that, additional dogs will be chosen by individual breed. One of each breed from the remainder of the qualifying dogs in each jump height will be chosen until the limit is reached. One qualifying Canine Partner will be included in the breeds selected to make up the 10 dogs chosen in each jump height.

9. If there are not enough individual breeds to make up the 10 dogs in each jump height, the next dog with the lowest combined score will be included regardless of breed. This means that more than one dog of any breed may be chosen.

That is why you'll see one or two of each fast "typical" agility breeds and then there will be a malamute or something totally random. Then they sqush all the jump heights together to crown a Super Champion.