BC Boards

Best cooling coats

Juju

Hi Everyone,

I was hoping some of you have had experience with cooling coats & which ones are the best to get.

The Aussie summer is just starting and being active outdoors alot I am interested in getting a coat for River. It needs to be lightweight but durable and I'm not sure if I'm much of a fan of the ones that need water added or fridge/freezer time. But I'm happy to hear views

My parents are in Colorado right now & are able to do shopping for us, if we make it clear & easy..hehe! So as long as it can be purchased from a main shop like Petco or another big store that sticks out they may not know where to search.

Thanks in advance!

P.S For those of you who have followed her behaviour journey, she is still improving. If your going to be an idiot & push her limits, then you pay the price. I love her to bits :)

Are you, or your parents, able to online shop? I trust the products from Clean Run (cleanrun.com) mainly because the products are carefully selected and they stand behind what they sell.

I bought a 'cool coat' from them many years ago (so I am not sure I have the precise brand name of the coat). Yes, it has to be dunked in water (or have water pored over it) for maximum effectiveness, but I think that it helps regardless because it is white and my dog is a dark red. I am not sure if there are any cooling coats that don't use water. I will be curious to follow this thread to learn about different cooling coats.

I bought the Ruffwear Swamp Cooler (http://www.ruffwear.com/Swamp-Cooler-Dog-Cooling-Vest-Sun-Protection-Prevents-Canine-Heat-Exhaustion-from-Ruffwear) for Penny this summer, and it really does make a big difference on keeping her cooler on hot days. You do have to soak it in water though.

I have this same coat and really like it. It does require soaking in water, but that doesn't take long and I've liked the results when using it to cool dogs down while at rest. :)

For use without water, I've seen these:

http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=2909&ParentCat=152

They're just reflective, but they undoubtedly will help with a dark-coated dog.

~ Gloria

Thanks guys, that's really helpful.

I had a look on the clean run website & like their coats. There is one on sale which I especially like ;) Although I wouldn't put a price on my dogs comfort. It is made out of the same fabric as the cooling horse rugs which I've had experience with & water can be added for maximum coolness.

There is a couple of things I am concerned about with the ones you add water too-

1. As they are damp, do they make the dogs coat smelly once off?

2. Is the dog carrying around extra unnecessary weight while wearing this damp coat?

I've never noticed wearing the wet coat causing Penny to be smelly after.... but then again she still smells pretty good even after getting caught in the rain lol so maybe that's just her.

She doesn't notice any added weight either (if any). She runs around and plays the same with it on or off. The coat itself is very lightweight and doesn't feel heavy to me when handling it. You are supposed to squeeze them out after wetting so they're wet but not sopping and drippy, if that makes sense. :)

Here is the K9 Cool Coat I bought:

http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=918&ParentCat=217

The white color would reflect light even when not wet so should help in that regard.

It is VERY lightweight and, even when dunked in water, is not heavy. On a hot, sunny day, I have to add water every 1/2 hour or so. That is my only complaint about the coat - the water evaporates pretty fast.

I have never noticed any smell on my dogs' coats after using our cool coat. It's absorbs water pretty good, plus you give it a little wringing out, so it's not soaking the dog while they're wearing it. I do hang it to air dry thoroughly after use to avoid any mildewy smell in storage.

As for weight when wet, I'd say it's negligible. Not like putting on a soggy suit of armor. ;)

Mind you, I've never used the cool coat while they're working or exercising, but they walk around during a post-workout cool down with no sign of discomfort.

~ Gloria