BC Boards

Dog vs. Human: A Battle of Wills

I'm not a huge fan of having a dog in my bed. I like my bed clean, smelling like summer breezes. I let Buddy in, because thunder terrified him, and the only way I could get any rest was to ease his barking panic by resting my hand on him.

With this new dog Cricket, I have been strong. She hasn't been invited up. She sleeps on the couch or in her crate. (Crate if there's a critter outside and she's scared. She will "kennel up" herself for reassurance.)

But last night!

At 1:30, something spooked her bad. She jumped off the couch and ran into my bedroom and jumped right into the bed, then proceeded to be her cutest possible self: rolling over, giving me her belly, snuggling right up against my side for comfort from whatever had frightened her. And looking so damned pleased with this new arrangement.

I got her off the bed and went to the bathroom, only to return to the bedroom and find her curled up in a ball, right in the middle of my pillow.

This is a tough opponent, my friends. Only time will tell who will win this battle.

Man, this is playing out in my house in reverse.

I like the dogs in bed with me. Of the 5, three will sleep with people (Kylie sleeps with me, the other two littles go to other family member's beds). Thud won't and that's okay because he's enormous and would be impossible to sleep with. The hold out? Molly. She will get in bed and snuggle up and be adorable and affectionate when I first go to bed, but the second the light goes out and I roll over to sleep, she's gone. Crate, loveseat, floor, whatever, until I wake up in the morning. Then she comes back for another snuggle.

I think she's getting a *little* better/more willing - she's napped with me a few times in the past couple of weeks for about an hour - so, I'm still hoping.

Dogs are just contrary.

I predict Cricket will win! At least for awhile.

I travel a lot, and have been fine with my young dogs sleeping on my bed in the RV - if they have to get up in the middle of the night to go out, I wake up. Several pups have started that way, then gone to wherever they want later in life. However, my youngest rescue, now 3, has *always* been on my bed (thankfully, it's plenty big!), even at home. She insists on touching me, preferably right up close. I really don't mind. She's on top of the top sheet (no bedspread in this house!), so my sheets are still pretty clean. Mostly.

Good luck!

diane

Molly and Levi must be relatives! Snuggles in bed all night if I am there watching tv or reading. The second the light goes click, he jumps off. Spends the night all over the house- crate, couch, rug.n He jumps back up in the morning when he is ready to snuggle and get me up. I would enjoy him sleeping in bed with me but the cats fill that up nicely with one on my pillow and the other snuggled with the husband.

I love having dogs sleep on the bed. Maybe I'm just a touchy-feely fool, but I love it.

I have anxiety attacks at night, and having an animal touching me is very grounding.

But I also can't sleep when I don't know what a dog is up to. If they're on the bed, they're not doing anything wrong. Off the bed? Who knows what they're doing.

I also have two old cats who HAVE to sleep on me. One across the back of my neck, the other on my legs. The nights where I sleep like a contortionist to accommodate them, I remember that it won't be long before I'm longing to have it back again.

This was this morning's arrangement: (and yes, he did take my pillow)

post-14480-0-56546200-1440912614_thumb.jpg

My only "rule" is don't wake me up. The can sleep on the bed, the floor, wherever just as long as I can sleep. During the summer they're often on the floor, when it gets cooler then they're on the bed.

I do still crate Kolt on occasion if I want to sleep in on a weekend as he tends to be ready to get up on my weekday schedule. Kenzi shares my opinion on mornings and is happy to stay in bed for as long as I want.

I put a sheet or cheap fleece blanket on top of my bedding to help contain the extra dirt and hair that gets brought up with the dogs.

One of the parts of ageing that upset my small dog most was that she wasn't allowed to sleep on the bed any more, because she was having difficulty telling when she needed to 'go' and I didn't want accidents in my room. She is not happy about this. Cue the 'very slow walk' into the room she sleeps in, and that moment when she stops, looks up into my eyes hopefully, and wags just the tip of her tail between her legs.

We have a no dogs on the bed rule and (mostly) manage to keep it. Ex-foster girl, Jesse, absolutely had to come up a give good night snuglles, but would go back down (on her own) and sleep in her crate. Current foster boy, Cash, prefers to give snuggles in the morning, he also sleeps the night in his crate.

I am another person that loves having my dogs on the bed. However Lyka usually comes up for a quick cuddle then it's back to the floor or her crate. Lily will sleep in the same spot at me and DH feet all night, but occasionally she will get up and start pacing trying to find somewhere else to sleep and that results in her getting crated for the night. Pacing drives me crazy, so she get 10 minutes to find a place before I crate her.

Cats are not allowed in the bedroom at night. Not because I'm worried about fur or anything, but because they don't let me sleep they just play chase on the bed and jump on me. The times they start to cuddle they also start kneeling/loudly purring and that's fine when it's not 2 am and I have to be up at 6. :D

Oh I miss having dogs on the bed with me!

Sammie was the best bed sleeper in the world. Always curled up at my feet - so cozy!! Sometimes I would wake up and he and I would be back to back. It was his greatest talent!!

Maddie liked sleeping on the bed, and would usually tuck up near my arm.

Speedy preferred his own dog bed on the floor, but occasionally I found him on the bed.

Now I can't get Dean, Tessa, or Bandit to sleep on the bed. Not one of them. Tessa insists on sleeping out on the living room sofa. Dean has taken over Speedy's dog bed. And Bandit curls up under the sewing machine table at the head of the bed.

Sometimes one or the other of them will jump up to snuggle in the morning, but that's it.

I miss it!

The lab, Orion, sleeps with us every night. He has been sleeping with us since he was five months old when he went on his first tent camping trip. Rarely is he not sleeping with us. The border collie, Jack, never slept in bed with us until his first tent camping trip.

Jack rarely sleeps in bed with us and Orion. As soon as hubby gets out of bed in the morning, Jack jumps right up. Orion may or may not vacate and Daisy sometimes jumps up too. I get up several times a week with three dogs in bed with me. Every now and then it's two people and three large dogs in a king sized bed.

One thing I am guaranteed every morning, Jack boops my snoot. Without fail, every morning.

At the end of the day it just means we take dog hair everywhere and I was our sheets and blankets more often It's a pack thing.

Rio and Wryly my BC littermates are gone now. One of the things I miss the most were those nap times when, sleeping on my side, they would curl up with me on the bed. One in my arms, the other right up against my back.

I called it "puppy sandwich."

It *is* a pack thing, such a sense of love and belonging.... I think even our breaths were coordinated...

...and perhaps our dreams as well- (although I don't usually chase coyotes in mine ;-)

Our last dog didn't sleep on the bed- he preferred the guest bedroom, or the floor, or just walking around the apartment all night. He was a little nocturnal, so not a great sleeping partner.

When Gabe came home, he spent a couple weeks sleeping in the crate, then earned "out of the crate at night" privileges, and somehow "sleep on the bed all night" rights. When we first met him, I wasn't sure he'd ever feel like "our" dog- he was pretty nervous, didn't seem to want to be too close to people. To wake up to him snuggled in between us, on his back, sleeping soundly, definitely a "yup, he's ours" moment.