BC Boards
Sign in to follow this  
chrisandgabe

Well we thought we got a Border Collie...

But it seems possible we got a cat instead.

20491849129_e7165d418f.jpg

20652336456_9aa542d381.jpg

And a few more, because he's so handsome.

20669362732_f623958c50.jpg

And although he's only been mine for about 2 months, I think we have a nice bond forming.

20491857309_fb4145d37f.jpg

And any thoughts on if he's more something-other-than-Border-Collie are more than welcome! He was listed as an Australian Shepherd at the rescue, but his body seems so much more BC to me, and everyone else that's met him. I find the cat-like lounging in the window and on the top of the couch so funny. He loves a little perch.

He's so lovely! :)

I can see border collie. His front face view looks a bit blockier... like maybe great granddad was a pyrenees. :) Whatever he is, he's beautiful.

He could be a purebred border collie (there are some with broader heads, but maybe not quite as broad a muzzle) or he could be a mix. But you can call him what you want! He's a handsome fellow. My first dog after leaving home as an adult out of school was a blue merle aussie x border collie. Wonderful dog, and the reason I opted for my next rescue to be a purebred border collie. And well, the rest is as they say....

J.

Made me laugh. Glad I wasn't sipping anything!

He could be a mix, but I've seen the blockier headed bc type as well. Whatever his DNA, the outcome is cute.

Ruth and Gibbs

Too cute!

Ditto on the comments about what he is. Rescues are often reluctant to list a dog as a purebred unless they're absolutely sure of it. And many all-breed rescues and shelter personnel, while well meaning and caring people, often aren't breed experts. It's not unusual for them not to be aware of the variety of colors, ear sets, coat types and even markings border collies can come in, and to many people merle = Aussie. My clearly (to me with 30+ years of experience with border collies) purebred border collie rescue was sent from the shelter to the rescue as a female Aussie mix. I suspect it was because he was red and has brindle points, which I suspect they thought was merle. (How they managed to get the sex wrong is beyond me, though.) The rescue was pretty sure he was border collie, but still listed him as a mix, just because they couldn't know for sure.

And border collie x Aussie mixes can be real puzzlers for people because they're already similar looking breeds to begin with. Same with other herding breed mixes. Can you imagine how hard it might be to identify a border collie x English shepherd, for example?

Often it's behavior that's the giveaway, and especially herding style. But if you don't have the opportunity to work your dog on livestock it may not be so readily apparent.

Whatever he is, he's lovely and you love each other. In the end, that's all that really matters. :D

Border Cat. Definitely. I've got one who jumps up on the cat platform to look out the window. Haven't seen him scratching at the post, though.

You've got a beautiful dog there. Like Gentle Lake said, you've got all that matters.

Whatever he is, we totally love him. And I'm really enjoying these boards, so I'll call him a border collie so we can stay :)

I'd love to have the opportunity to work him on livestock, although I'm not sure where/how we'd do that. If anyone's near Philly and has any suggestions, it's something I'm definitely interested in exploring.

And one more picture of our Border Cat, trying to eat some Pringles:

20064465984_70a0102abc.jpg

I had a girl a lot like that. One day she climbed a stack of crates to the tippy top. She simply enjoyed it. I would take her to a local park and she would climb the ladder for the slide and run down. Might try agility with him, Just could be his thing. My boy lays like that with his paws crossed also

Denice- Agility is totally in the long-term plan! We're starting an obedience class next week, just to get used to working in a class setting, and then probably heading towards more formal agility stuff. He's done some jumps, wobble board, and tunnel at my friend's place. He seems to enjoy it!

If he likes climbing on things, this might be of interest to you! It's starting to become popular!

http://www.dogparkour.org/

How funny (and fun!).

I often take my dogs places with my friends and their dogs, and we have gotten in the habit of making them pose for a group pic. As we are often in the woods, or at the river, there are usually rocks and tree stumps to balance on and we use them to pose groups of dogs.

I have noticed that even when alone, my dogs are now magnetically attracted to stuff like that and now want to climb on or jump up on everything we come across that they can.

After a swim at the river, Argos just HAD to jump up on this huge tree (scrabbling with his claws) and climb to the highest point...so of course I obliged him with photo proof.

11753671_10207438948918324_5819499918079

Its kind of fun!

How funny (and fun!).

I often take my dogs places with my friends and their dogs, and we have gotten in the habit of making them pose for a group pic. As we are often in the woods, or at the river, there are usually rocks and tree stumps to balance on and we use them to pose groups of dogs.

I have noticed that even when alone, my dogs are now magnetically attracted to stuff like that and now want to climb on or jump up on everything we come across that they can.

Its kind of fun!

My dogs are now the same way. I've put them on trees and benches and posts and seesaws and other playground equipment so much that they now absolutely climb everything. It IS fun!

Mine's a horrible climber too. If he can get up on something, he'll find a way.

He lost his mind when we got a new load of hay stacked, he was up and down and up and down all day.

Your dog is beautiful! Given the blocker head I'd guess there's some Aussie in there somewhere. Not that Merle always means Aussie, but it is much more common in that breed and might be an indicator. But his body looks totally BC to me. If I had to guess I'd say BCxAussie, but he could be anything! I think the cat-like behaviors are pretty BC as well. Mine's favorite spot to perch is the back of the couch.

Root Beer- that looks so fun!

Kingfisher- I'm feeling the same way about his possible genetics. The first picture we saw of him, he looked totally Aussie, because it was mostly face/head and in the snow, and hard to see how long and lean he really is. Also, he was supposedly originally rescued by this organization as a puppy and adopted out around 8 weeks old, and may have been with some siblings, who may have looked more Aussie. So hard to tell. But his body seems all border collie, and his cat-like nature, and even some of how he interacts with people I think is a little more border collie-esque. Whatever he is, he's so fun.

There's a sheepdog trial being held in Church Hill, MD on Saturday, August 29 (almost all levels, from Pro-Novice to Open). It'd be a good way to meet some of the people in the sheepdog community, get some recommendations as to people you might be able to take lessons with (and most likely give you a chance to meet some of them). That's about two hours from you. I'm not sure if I know of any upcoming trials that are any closer to you, alas, though you could check on the NEBCA website: http://www.nebca.net/trialschedule.html LOTS of very nice people will be at the Aug. 29 trial!

Be careful, though, it's a slippery slope, from training a dog to work stock to buying your own farm...

I'd love to have the opportunity to work him on livestock, although I'm not sure where/how we'd do that. If anyone's near Philly and has any suggestions, it's something I'm definitely interested in exploring.

You're welcome to stop by our place any time (though we haven't owned it very long - just since last April). We're about an hour and a half from you, in northern MD (just south of the PA line). Three Border collies and a small flock of wool sheep, DEFINITELY need more sheep if I'm to break out of this endless cycle of mowing and weed-whacking! It's a long-held dream come true for me. (It's something different for my husband - he claimed he wanted to move to a condo, he was just willing to let his "condo" be on our small farm, meaning he's responsible for everything inside the four walls and the dog yard, I'm responsible for the pastures, farm animals, orchard, and vegetable garden). It's not very big - only 15 acres - but I'm finding it's about as much as I'm able to handle (on top of the "day job").

Oh but I'd really love to have a farm.

Alchemist- That is very tempting. Thanks for the offer! My friend just bought a "small" 8 acre horse farm, and has some goats and mini donkeys for now. I can definitely see a farm in our future. I may have to take a ride down at some point!

Gideon is a Border Cat too. He perches on the back of all the chairs and the couch and he even washes like a cat. He also snags things with his extended claws. Have fun with your Border Cat and beware the slippery slope. I'm now looking for a ram to go with my 10 ewes...

Many of the 'working' Australian Shepherds look like a Border Collie. Many tend to work like a Border Collie (and many suspect they have an infusion of BC behind them). Some of the working AS breeders no longer dock tails. But usually the AS has a blockier head and when merle are often a 'muddy' merle, not the clear pattern seen in the show dogs.. But regardless of breed if you like him that is what counts

Even though his head's a little blocky (and in person I think seems less blocky than in pictures), his body is not blocky at all. He's very lean and seems more similar to border collies I've known than Australian shepherds. Either way, totally goofy and fun, and very cat-like. It's so interesting to hear everyone's experiences of the different breeds.

He's still pretty young yet, isn't he? He looks to me like an adolescent in the pics.

In my experience, male border collies tend to fill out at around 3 years of age. Sometimes it seems like it happens overnight without any warning!

So he may end up growing into his head and ending up looking more proportional. I wouldn't expect him to end up a blocky dog, but I do suspect he'll change a bit (unless he's older than I'm guessing).

And I wouldn't actually call his head blocky, though it's definitely blockier than some border collies.