BC Boards

Ten years later... still an @$$!

I was out walking Cricket the other night. Was walking with an old dog-walking friend - we've both lost our old dogs and gotten new dogs in the last year. She saw another guy up the street with a pit bull, and said what a sweet, 14-year-old pit bull it was. I vaguely recognized the man from walking Buddy many years ago. I didn't have any solid memories of him - only remembered thinking he was a self-centered, ignorant guy whose dog drove my fear-reactive dog crazy.

So, whatever. The dog is 14 now. It's been ten years. I happily walked up to the guy with my friend. His pit bull charged forward, still strong but under control of the leash at least. (Ah... I remember now. Ten years ago, the guy couldn't control his dog.) My little dog is shy and fearful of big, boisterous dogs; she was behind me, at the end of my leash, as far from this other dog as she could get. The guy was all, "He's FRIENDLY! He won't do anything to your dog!" I said, "If my dog wants to meet, she'll move forward." The man waited maybe 15 seconds - maybe 10. Then he said, "Oh, let them get a little closer," and gave his dog slack to approach my dog - who promptly moved further away as I backed up.

I just continued my walk, moving away from the man who was obviously - even after ten years - never going to learn anything about his dog's behavior from anyone.

MAN, I thought I wasn't going to have to start quoting "He Just Wants to Say Hi" again. People are so ignorant.

This is probably a situation which, if I encountered him and his dog again and the dog behaved similarly, I would have no reservations about acting like an @$$hole myself. I would probably say something to the effect that he should control his dog better around other dogs and that my dog did NOT want to meet his dog - and then walk away. Not someone I would want to cultivate a friendship with.

I assist with classes with my dog trainer, and we run a weekly drop-in "puppy club" that is monitored puppy playtime and socialization with some Q & A time while the pups calm down. I always say the best part about that is that we teach what to look for in canine body language. So many dog owners are completely lacking any familiarity with it.

MAN, I thought I wasn't going to have to start quoting "He Just Wants to Say Hi" again. People are so ignorant.

Yep! I quote it all the time. (I have a shy dog.) Sometimes I just make a joke..."Sorry, she's not taking applications for new friends right now, but we'll be sure to let you know when we have a new opening."