BC Boards

companion dog for male bc 4yrs

found an obvious stray uncared for male husky while walking my bc this morning, rather he found me. after asking in the neighborhood, no one knew him, but one girl said she's seen him around for awhile. also, i believe he's the same husky i saw on a local dog adoption program on tv about a month ago. he's pretty wild acting, has been unhappy with my bc Bubba sniffing him,(growled pretty loud...theyre separated) but wants my company and whines when i leave the room. only time he's still is when i am in the same room, like now..he finally lies down then. seems panicked when i leave. im afraid he's been adopted from the pound and run away again. he only eats in snatches, then keeps pacing around. has zero interest in playing. i hate to take him to the pound again, im sure he's the one i saw on tv, its so incredibly hot here, and people keep their dogs outside, penned up, nightmarish scenarios...which is prob why he ran again dont know. (he's sure not cared for, matted horribly, hair shedding pretty bad in clumps around his flanks and ribs). heartbreaking. he does seemed relieved to have attention. if possible id like to keep him as a companion for Bubba, since Bubba is so attached to me its not healthy for either of us, and im a sucker (clearly) because of guilt about not being what he needs as far as a border collie's needs are concerned. he's my baby, so want him happy foremost. thanky'all for allowing me to bend ur ear, and any advice is greatly needed.

Huskies and related breeds are well known for their wanderlust. It takes a good fence or tie out to keep them home. That said, what you say about his condition doesn't speak well for whomever may own him.

The responsible thing to do would be to have him checked for a microchip and advertise that you've found him -- in the newspaper, FB, whatever -- and contact the local shelter also to see if they've been contacted by someone who's missing him.

If anyone contacts you, ask for some sort of proof that he belongs to them. Don't just hand him over to someone who says he's theirs without something that convinces you that they're telling the truth. If you don't get a response within a week or 2, then by all means keep him if you want to.

His behavior will probably change quite a bit as he becomes more settled in his new home. ;)

I'd think very, very seriously about keeping a stray husky. He may be a great dog, but one, you don't know his circumstances, you don't know for sure he was the dog you saw on TV, and his anxiety certainly suggests that he knows he belongs somewhere else.

I recommend taking him to the shelter so that if there is an owner looking for him, they can track him down. Or if it's a kill shelter, get busy right now posting notices that you've found a husky-type dog - but don't include a photo, make any person claiming him describe him. Post on Craigslist, post at local pet stores and grocery stores, post all over. Huskies can travel for miles and miles, it's what they are bred to do, and once scared and on the run, they can travel for days if not weeks. Remember, dogs degrade in condition very fast when living on the streets with no shelter, scant water and trash for food.

As a companion dog for your BC, that's also something you want to think about. As a general rule, border collies prefer the company of other herding breeds. They generally do not care for the more forward, pushy types of dogs which huskies definitely can be, and even if he does invite play, huskies tend to play pretty rough and tumble. If those two are already growling at each other, you don't want to invite trouble.

Furthermore, if your BC is as attached as you say, introducing another dog, especially a grown male, may not go over well. Rather than welcoming him as a companion, your BC may instead develop jealous behaviors and believe me, you do not want a dog fight between a husky and a BC. You may end up with a heck of a vet bill.

See, here's a thing. For all you know, this husky may just be lost. He could have gotten out a gate that a guest to the house accidentally left open, or was scared by something and ran away in a panic, or was in an accident and escaped and can't find his way home, or was at a boarding facility and slipped his collar ... there are countless ways a dog can end up on the streets, and a great many of those are accidental, not due to mistreatment. If he's been on the run for several weeks, he's going to look pretty shabby, pretty fast. After all, eating trash, scraps and mice, sleeping in the rough and being scared all the time take a dog's condition down terrible. I'd say to give this poor lost guy a chance to find his way home. Looking bad does not mean he's been abused, it just means he's been living rough for too long.

I know I would hate to lose a dog and think that someone else found him, but chose to keep him because they presumed he'd been mistreated.

Best regards,

~ Gloria

thank y'all for your great advice. he's been sleeping at my feet since i posted this poor guy. its an adoption shelter, but i do not trust the public at large to adopt him. also, his ears are scarred with old bite marks, one with a pretty big notch, so im afraid he may have been used for fighting, as he got pretty aggressive upon seeing Bubba after he'd been here awhile, despite having gotten along with him at first, exhibiting no aggression for about an hour. and there's alot of dog fighting in this town. ive been going back and forth reassuring Bubba im here, though he can see me through closed french doors. ive done fb post, and will take him to the shelter in the morning to chk for a chip. will do post on craigslist and at local stores thx for that. oh, he has one clear blue eye and one brown, like the one on tv, and is the same wirey build, coloring and very distinctive markings on his face. sorry dont know how to post pics, or i would. granny tech dummy here. Bubba loves seeing other dogs at the park, where we walk daily, its across the street, and wanted to be friends, but i agree with y'all not a good idea. just feel so sorry for him, and if i could keep half my house for each dog i would. suckerville. he's just jumped up next to me on the couch, and is looking at me with the sweetest face, is relaxed and just gave a big sigh. christ. (sorry)

again THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND HELP! :) i bathed him earlier with flea shampoo, which he liked, hair came off in handfuls, and just now tried to brush clumps off, his fur seems to be totally coming out. and the base of it is still sticky matted with white specks, so afraid of what's up with that. am i putting something not good in my house and yard? my head hurts.

Huskies have very dense double coats and it's shedding season. With no care recently, I'm not surprised you're getting a ton of fur off him.

It'll probably take a little time to find out if the dogs will get along. You're doing the right thing keeping them separated and letting them get used to the fact that the other one's in the house. After a while, it'd probably be best if you can have someone else help you and do some parallel walking with them together. Each of you start from a different point and just join up while you're already walking, at first with the dogs on the outside and the 2 people on the inside providing a buffer between them. Then if all goes well after a few walks you can stagger dog/human/dog/human for a few more walks, and if that goes well allow them to walk side by side. There's something about that forward momentum when they're not expected to interact that can allow them to become more comfortable with each other before actually allowing a face to face meeting, which can be more intimidating.

Take your time with introductions. There's no hurry and it could potentially make all the difference in whether or not the dogs will eventually be able to coexist, even if they don't ever become best friends.

The greasy and white stuff is probably just from having all the dead coat on him and being outside, maybe a bad quality diet. It's not parasitic or infectious, it's just something that you see a lot of in dogs who haven't been getting great care. Since he's been out on his own I'm not a bit surprised he has it going on.

I've been watching "Dog Reunion" videos on YouTube. It seems like there are an infinite number of dogs who go missing during fireworks or lightning storms and are found hundreds of miles away. Some of them, thanks to a microchip, are reunited with owners they haven't seen in months or even years.

So, given that dogs can get lost and roam very far, I think it's fair to at least have him scanned for a microchip, in case there's some heartbroken owner somewhere who's been looking for the dog. If he's been on his own for a while, it would explain the notches in the ears and the bad condition of the coat.

if my dog were lost or wandering, I would desperately hope that someone kind would find her and make an effort to reunite her with me.

If, on the other hand, you make your best effort and can't find another owner, then you'll feel good about your decision to keep this dog. FWIW, my old boy Buddy generally didn't like other dogs. And huskies invariably tried to do the "let me hump you" introduction, which made Buddy crazy. BUT... once the initial weird energy and humping thing was over, Buddy LOVED huskies. He had several good husky friends his whole life. So, BCs and huskies don't necessarily have to be enemies. :)

thank you so much for all of your help Gentle Lake, Gloria Atwater, and Capt Jack! while i do not have another human, and walking him is not walking but running, just found out, i will undoubtedly not be a good caretaker of this sweet husky. when i found him, or him us while walking this morning, he came and stayed with me, even though i was giving him commands to stay and sit, for bubba was getting freaked, and he wasnt put off by that, and sat for me. and for some weird reason, there was a broken rope with a lead attached on the ground by us in the gutter. so i put it on him and walked him back to the park to see if he belonged to anyone there, and to houses all around the park asking if anyone knew him. one girl jogging by said yes she'd seen him in the neighborhood running within the past month or so. i just walked him there again, with a real collar this time, nada luck. he seemed to know my house and ran up on the porch to go in again. real quandary.

Gloria Atwater thank you also, what you said about his nature is definitely right on, he wanted to run and not stop. hard to keep up. the shelter here sells strays for such a cheap amount, anyone could get him. i will try as hard as i can to find his owner, even though its seems, with more and more handfuls of matted hair and some scalp, a questionable decision.

mbc1963 thank you! yes, i am taking him first thing tomorrow to the animal emergency clinic where they will check for a microchip. i've been to the stores around the neighborhood and the coffeeshop, i live by tech campus (Texas Tech Univ) and theres lots of posts for lost dogs, not one for him though. i would be panic stricken if Bubba were ever lost, and beside myself with grief to lose him, so i get what you are saying for sure, and will do exactly that, try to find his owner, but i really think he's been a stray for alot of his life, as im positive, from his eye coloring and strange striking facial markings, that he's been to the dog pound before and been adopted from there. they just charge ten dollars to adopt, no telling who got him. but am taking him to be sure there's a chip or not. thank you again for helping me. oh and that is good to know that your bc? best boy Buddy (RIP, sorry for your loss) got along with huskies. thank you for that info!

OMG yes, energy level is through the roof. My father had a husky mix. I was super-healthy back in the day and would do these 8-mile walks once or twice a week, and the dog came with me. A good chunk of the time she'd be off-leash, making GIGANTIC circles around me the whole time. I do not doubt that she would run 30 miles to my 8. And not be particularly tired when we got home.

In fact... now that I think of it... that husky/shepherd mix had MUCH MORE energy when she was young than my border collie had. Something to consider. :)

thank you all for trying to help. i had posted craigslist, the owner described him and just picked him up. to say he was going to see to it that the dog doesn't escape again it a 100% sure bet. i am crying now, knowing that was the wrong thing to do, return him to that 'home'. kill. me. now. maakie out.

I had a Husky once... That being said, your relationship with your dog will change, sometimes better, sometimes worse. In 6 months will you love it or regret it, time will tell. Is their a chance that you could clean him up, get him current on Vac's and take some great photos of him. Their is a great home for him, it may take some effort but will be well worth it and you'll get some good satisfaction too. If he is UTD and clean and you have spent some time with him, you can give a good account of him if you are trying to find him a home and at this point, you will know his quirks and personality.

thank you all for trying to help. i had posted craigslist, the owner described him and just picked him up. to say he was going to see to it that the dog doesn't escape again it a 100% sure bet. i am crying now, knowing that was the wrong thing to do, return him to that 'home'. kill. me. now. maakie out.

We always learn from everything we do. Hopefully the owner will make some changes. Is their a way that you can contact the owner and check on the dog and possibility help if needed? The owner may appreciate some help.

Well, a thing to maybe ask yourself is despite the lack of grooming, was he really that bad off? Huskies shed prodigiously pretty much year around, so if his owner doesn't groom him, especially in summer, his coat is going to just blow and blow and blow. But was he thin? Was he ill? Was he unhappy to see his owner or did he greet him gladly?

The nervousness and upset you saw was circumstantial, you know that. He was lost and away from home and terribly anxious due to that. But if he wasn't a rack of bones, if he just lacked grooming .... maybe it's not so bad as you suppose.

Hang in there and be kind to yourself. :)

~ Gloria

I can't say for certain he'll be all right, but the things you've mentioned don't necessarily lead me to 'he won't be'. Don't beat yourself up. It would have been an awful thing to keep him from a home he was anxious to get back to, remember that too.

Scarred ears- I have known dogs who got constant lumps and bumps on their ears. Being a big enthusiastic dog who thinks that a thorn bush is a playground will do that, including lumps taken out sometimes. Any dog can get into a fight- read over some of the old threads here, even the most responsible dog owner can have a dog who gets 'jumped'. Some dogs repeatedly get into fights, often when there's another dog at home they don't get on with- and owners who can't manage it can be slow to 'give up' and rehome one of them.

Besides, if he is the same dog you saw on tv a month ago- the scars could be from before that. A month in a new home is prime time for "Well now we know the dog can jump THAT fence!" Or "oh no, shedding once he's on a new diet, old coat is greasy etc. from lack of care, how do I cope with this?"

There have been times when if someone found my dog they would doubtless conclude it had been very much abused. A good walk-swim-and-roll that completely felted/matted one dog's nice soft newly-washed, brushed coat. She was covered in branches, tangles, seeds etc, looked like the poster child for lack of grooming. Or the "horribly starved" "abused" dog- who was underweight because of health issues (being treated) and doesn't like sticks because she always knocks brooms down on herself (so sticks are things that fall from the sky to attack her for no reason).

I didn't post this at the time because I wasn't sure it was true, but I've just seen something confirming it.

In some areas at least (for example where I live in upstate NY), it's required by law for someone finding a dog to report it to the local ACO and shelter. As someone's legal property, it's considered that the dog is not the finder's to either keep or rehome.

So, Maakie, as disappointing as this experience was for you, it was not only the right thing for you have done, it may well have been the legally required things as well.