BC Boards

Weave poles

I am curious how long weave poles usually take for a dog to learn? When my bc was younger, my father built him some agility equipment (weave poles, teeter, and hurdles). I was able to teach him to weave (he went threw them really quickly) in about fifteen minutes, and people are telling me that is rare. How long does it usually take?

There is no easy answer to that question.

First, it depends on one's definition of 'go through weave poles'. Some handlers are happy to see their dog trot through the weaves, whereas others want the dog blasting through them as fast as possible. In my experience, it takes longer to teach the latter.

The method used to teach the weave poles will also affect the learning curve.

The answer should also take into consideration the ability of the trainer.

And again, some handlers don't consider the dog to be 'trained to go through the weave poles' until the dog performs with the handler on both sides, at varying distances from the dog and can enter from varying angles [to name a few considerations].

Clear as mud?

Yeah, agreed with GVC. Getting the dog to understand how to go through the weaves isn't so bad and can happen fairly fast. More independence, more distance, finding the proper entrance, both sides of the handler, NO handler, moving with speed, and being really and truly reliable takes longer.

And method. I fumbled around with my older dog and it took her a good long while to get weaves at all and then I had to tear them back and reteach so she could find the entrance, weave on both sides, and then get the entrances and exits with speed instead of all but stopping in them and coming out of them (ie: see them as part of a course). I knew what I was doing with my second dog and there was no backtracking and since I knew what I was doing she picked them up faster.