BC Boards

Martingale Type Collar

I am thinking of using a Martingale collar on Golan for a while, in certain circumstances.

Golan is a very soft dog, and so I've avoided anything that might come across as harsh with him. (This is a big change from our previous generation of dogs.) I'll use my voice or my hand/fingers (light tap on the snout or head, or grab his scruff) and get in front of him to get his attention in instances (rare) where he just goes momentarily berserk. It doesn't happen much; though as he's matured he has also come out of his shell a little.

We've been going to a nearby ranch to watch trials. They host different small trials, and are pretty much the only such venue in the area. The first few times, Golan's behavior was excellent. These were trials held in fields. He watched the dogs and sheep, but didn't get very excited. About a week ago we went to a trial run by an Aussie Shepherd association. Ducks, sheep, and cattle in arena. When he watched the ducks, he went nuts. I thought it is a learning opportunity. I kept him by my side, and restrained him if he got really excited. After watching several 'runs' with the ducks, he went totally nuts and somehow freed himself of his harness. The call went out 'loose dog!', and I went after my dog who was alternately focussed on the ducks in one pen and the sheep in the nearby pen. (Fortunately, everyone was kind and understanding of my situation. I was mortified.)

A couple of handlers suggested very nicely that I might want to try a slip lead or Martingale with him until he learns control. It makes sense to me. I've seen Martingales with chains (Ruffwear makes one, and I generally like their products); but I am thinking that for my usually soft dog the sound of the chain may be disconcerting. There are all-cloth collars out there, too.

Anyone care to offer some insight on the Martingale-for-a-soft-dog question? Thanks!

I use martingales on my dogs. I think I own a dozen about now, a few of them very, very pretty satin brocade covered things. They aren't really a correction collar. They just tighten (a limited amount) when the dog pulls against them to prevent escape. The dog can not choke themselves because of the limited slip, and a 'leash pop' type correction won't really do anything on most of them.

I've used them on my 'melts into a puddle if he gets a no reward marker or stern look' dog. The dog who once hid under the bed for a full day because he was in the room and nearby when I stubbed my toe and cursed loudly. They're just utterly mildly and inoffensive, unless your dog has some major issues with collars to start with.

You're probably not going to damage him with a martingale. Lots of people use them on dogs, particularly greyhounds, just to keep the dog from pulling free when their neck is as big around as their head, or nearly so, so you can't fasten a regular collar tight enough to prevent escape.

I've actually been wanting to buy one. We suspect that Kieran is part Italian Greyhound, and his neck is thicker than his head. He's gotten out of all his harnesses and collars during his skittish moments. But I just bought him a Comfortflex harness for flyball, so I'll see how that works for him.

Gabe came with one from the rescue, and it's been pretty great. He can easily slip a harness, but the martingale tightens up enough that he can't slip out, which makes me feel much more secure. Lately we've been walking him on an Easy-Walk and the martingale has enough give in the loop without tightening to clip the leash to both the martingale and easy walk, making it doubly sure he's not getting away.

CptJack - does the collar with a chain work with your soft boy; or did you prefer the all-cloth? I'm generally okay with the idea; but I'm wondering about the sound of the chain not far from his ears? Any preferred brand for quality of item?

CptJack - does the collar with a chain work with your soft boy; or did you prefer the all-cloth? I'm generally okay with the idea; but I'm wondering about the sound of the chain not far from his ears? Any preferred brand for quality of item?

I use all cloth. I don't like the sound of the chain, and I don't much like the LOOK of the chain. I also would imagine the crazy soft dog wouldn't much like the sound or feel. Most of mine are from here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/CollarsByMickey

But they're just a basic, good quality nylon collar that's covered in pretty things (I have a collar problem - er, collection), but guardian gear is really good quality and are like 7 to 11.00 and solid color, plain, nylon. Or nylon with chain but obviously I'm reccing plain nylon.

Lupine makes a martingale collar, and they guarantee their collars against chewing, etc. I wouldn't bother with the chain one but just get the nylon type. I saw my first martingale on a ex-racing greyhould my mother adopted some years ago. Since then I have used them on dogs, especially rescues, to prevent the dog from slipping the collar. The nice thing about them is that like a choke collar, they apply no pressure when the dog is not pulling on them. When the dog pulls the collar tightens and won't slip off. The advantage over a choke chain is that they can be adjusted so that they are just tight enough when pulled tight not to slip off over the head (that is, they can be adjusted to get only so tight, unlike a choke chain, which will continue to tighten as long as pressure is put on it). I also like that they don't have to be tight all the time because I like for collars to be looser on my dogs (I think it has to be more comfortable for the dog).

J.

I don't use martingales but properly fitted so they don't become uncomfortable for the dog I don't have an objection.

Personally I hate the sound of the chain but that's just the connection I make in my mind with the noise and choke chains. Since my dogs have never worn a choke chain there's no reason why the noise would necessarily bother them.

My litte dog came from rescue with a tiny martingale collar that can slip just about 2" tighter than it usually is. This dog is super-soft: took her two days to stop shaking, and about a week before she would relax enough to play or frolic at all. She doesn't mind the collar in any way - it simply keeps her from pulling out if she pulls hard away from another dog or goes after a squirrel too fast. I'm not even sure she knows it's tightening up on her.

(This collar is so small doesn't have an typical martingale loop - just an extra length of about 2" that can slid in and out of the metal rings. It saves a lot of bulk and weight for a small dog, in case anyone has that issue.)

post-7173-0-88481100-1438700155_thumb.jpg

I like SowinkaDesign on Etsy for collars, although I haven't bought a martingale one yet. She lets you choose the type of collar you want when you check out. The snap one I have is really good quality, and I use it almost every day. It's nice and soft. The shipping is pricy though since it's from Europe.

I got an Easy Walk Harness with a so called Martingale Loop for Blue when he was only 4ish months old. It was EXTREMELY effective at preventing pulling.

Unfortunately, it also had some shortcomings. The slides you use to adjust the size were slippery. Blue's were adjusted all of the way down and by the end of many walks they each would have slid an inch or more making the whole affair too loose to really work as intended. I eventually sewed them in place. It also chafed him a little in his armpits which made me alternate it with a choke chain. Once it got loose, it was pretty easy for him to back out of so I don't think it would work for your situation.

Blue is not soft and the Easy Walk was. He did not particularly like it and managed to chew most of the way through the Martingale loop in the front so I retired it and have since pretty much trained him not to pull (geese sightings excluded). I would certainly consider another Martingale but it would have to be more robust than the Easy Walk. I like the collar idea as I HATE his choke chain though he does not seem to mind it.

Like Julie, I use a Lupine martingale collar. I can use it as a regular collar or hook it so it tightens about 2 inches if Dixie is on a walk that will include "little grey terrorists". She will save the world from squirrels!

Lupine stuff is fantastic. Great designs - wish they still made tho one with lighthouses I swear are all from North Carolina. And the guarantee is for real. My brother used one collar on three successive dogs - each of which lived long. The last one chewed the collar. He lives near where Lupine makes the stuff, so he took it there. He expected a laugh. He got a new collar!

I know about the Lupine guarantee. We went through three of their leashes before we finally stopped our little terrorist, er - my wife's little dog, from chewing them up.

Thanks for the input. Looks like I'll be getting Golan an all-cloth Martingale.

I got so intrigued by this whole discussion that I went to my local small box pet retailer and bought a Lupine Bling Bonz martingale collar for Blue. Good riddance choke chain. Thanks for all the advice and shared knowledge.

Side note. Blue's best buddy is a 109 lb. (yes, obese) 10 year old Golden—Uncle Bojangles. His family does not walk him because they say he slips his buckle-style nylon collar and they are opposed to choke chains. I do walk him and gave him a Puppia Soft Dog Harness for Christmas last year. The first time Bo saw a dog he wanted to eat, he backed right out of the harness. I have since stopped his attack behavior but will be getting him a Lupine Martingale this Christmas if mine works out as well as I think it will.

Already need help. My little puppy has a 14" neck and a 15" head. His new collar (14-20") adjusted within a inch of all of the way small slides easily onto his head but is a bit of a struggle to get back off over his ears. Given that the Martingale loop measures 4" fully extended,this means there is only 1" of effective total collar circumference reduction range left once it is on. Is that enough? For high head to neck ratio breeds, would it not make sense to have a quick release buckle?

The fitting should be done in such a way that when the loop is fully pulled taunt that the slides shouldn't touch. If you're having problems getting it back off over his ears, just loosen it up some. It'll tighten when he pulls, which means he still won't get out of it. It should be able to pop off unless the dog is pulling on it - they fit looser than regular collars because of the loop, when they're not 'engaged', and tighter than a regular collar when they are.

(My BC's head is way bigger than her neck. It just means it hangs looser around her neck while it's on and she's not pulling. I LIKE that.)

ETA: Had to go look at my collars and was wrong about how much clearance there is.

Thanks so much. I used it on a three mile walk with Blue this morning and it worked fabulously! I noticed that even when "leaving" goose poop, there was still at least one inch between the collar ends just like your "fits perfect" photo. This caused me to reassess my theoretical math and discover a really stupid error. There is 4" of potential tightening scope rather than the 2" I theorized. I should have asked Blue to do the math instead of doing it myself :unsure:.

I can probably add a ½" of slack making it easier to get off without making it any less effective. I'm a Martingale true believer! Thanks again. I wish I had known about these things decades ago. Bojangles is going to get a very early Christmas present.

I noticed that even when "leaving" goose poop, there was still at least one inch between the collar ends just like your "fits perfect" photo. This caused me to reassess my theoretical math and discover a really stupid error. There is 4" of potential tightening scope rather than the 2" I theorized. I should have asked Blue to do the math instead of doing it myself :unsure:.

I think you're saying that you need to tighten it up a bit. If so, you're correct. You want the smallest space possible between the collar ends giving you the maximum tightening without actually functioning to choke at all.

Actually I was saying that I needed to loosen it a bit to make it easier to get off over his head. By adding ½" to the overall collar length, I effectively narrowed the "Martingale Gap" in goose poop mode (firm tug but not full, emergency stop) from 1-1.25" to 1/2-3/4". If I ever did have to apply a force equal to his weight plus some inertia I am quite certain it would not choke him even set the previous way and definitely not the way it is set now.

I could never be certain with the choke chain which is probably the main reason I am so happy with the new Martingale collar. Hearing the chain pull tight didn't seem to bother Blue much but produced an involuntary shudder in me :blink: I guess I am the "soft" one.

post-17570-0-05055400-1438805041_thumb.jpg

So I got a Lupine Martingale-type on Amazon. Was actually a tad cheaper and the fast Prime shipping. Golan has used it twice so far, and it seems to help; thought the real reason (and test) will be when I bring him out to the ranch again and see if it helps around the livestock.

Interesting that I took the boy out in his harness yesterday, and let him loose in a nearby arroyo. He walked with the leash a lot more loosely than previously. I wonder if the Martingale is helping teach him to relax a bit on leash altogether, and that he is going to generalize that to the harness? That would be a pretty good start after only two short uses!