BC Boards

ACK Flyball?

Just heard a rumor ACK is looking into flyball. How hilarious is that? I can just see it now (remember, I'm making this up!!):

ACK Rules for Flyball

Section II "Control of Dogs"

A: Handlers must demonstrate full control over their dogs at all times. Out of control dogs will be excused. Handlers who use inappropriate methods to restrain dogs will be excused.

B: Dog may only wear a flat collar, which handler may only touch upon entrance and entry of ring, for the purposes of clipping on a flat lead. Dogs must enter the ring on a loose leash.

C: Prior to release to the box, dogs will remain in a stay. The stay may be executed in a down or sitting position, but must not be broken until the handler gives the release command. Dogs which break the stay will be rerun the first time. A second break will constitute an excusal.

D: Excessive barking may be adjudged as a reason for excusal.

Section IV: "Courses"

A. Courses will be no longer than 50 feet long. All courses will be matted with approved materials. All equipment must be in compliance with guidelines [available for purchase from the AKC online store, MC, Visa, Amex accepted].

B: A course. No more than 20 feet long, to include a single jump. All jumps to be set no higher than three inches.

C: B course. No more than 40 feet long, to include three jumps set to 4" below the height at the withers of the shortest team dog (see Section VIII, "Measuring Height Dogs"). Course will include at least one right angle turn.

D: C course. At least 100 feet long, to include at least eight jumps and two right angle turns. All jumps set at 12" or 2" below the height at the withers of the shortest team dog (see Section VIII, "Measuring Height Dogs"). Dog will also down at a distance at a line eleven feet four inches from the box (as indicated on diagram 4.5).

Section X: "Misc Rules"

A: Ties will be broken in the following manner. Teams will choose single racers. Handlers will release their dogs in the manner described above. A broken stay will result in the win being awarded to the other team. At the judge's signal, handlers will request a down. The first dog to demonstrate compliance will be awarded the win and the tie will be broken in the favor of the team of that dog.

Actually, my favorite title is S-NATCH, which is actually a very hard title to get (Superior Performance, NADAC Agility Trial Champion, 630 Elite Regular, 320 Elite Gamblers, and 320 Elite Jumpers points). Oh, and then there is the Versatility S-NATCH. Hmm, I better stop typing. :rolleyes:

Corey,

Somehow I *knew* you'd get it. :rolleyes:

It just seems a shame to give the highest title in NADAC such a, well, um, name that could mean so many things to filthy minds such as ours.

Hey, I've found the secret to herding - no dog! Just me and Kelly Lee out for a walk.

no_dog.jpg

Woo woo! Lookit Kristi's legs!

It's sad what's happening with NADAC. I've always enjoyed NADAC, and the games classes are great for Solo because we can avoid classes with contact obstacles and staring judges.

Originally posted by rtphokie:

well NADAC has fast become a joke for agility anyway.

:rolleyes: I love NADAC. We only get 4-5 opportunities to run it a year, but I will choose NADAC over other venues if there are conflicting trials.

It seems that dogs (and their handlers!) have more fun at NADAC trials. Sure, the rules change more than other venues, but I love some of the changes including:

• slatless equipment
  • breakawy tire
  • 5' a-frame
  • training in the ring!

I guess I think of agility as a bit of a joke in and of itself (I drive 6 hours each way so that my dogs can do a few obstacle courses - yeah, that seems like a good use of vacation time and travellling dollars) so I don't get the argument that xxxxx venue is 'real' agility while yyyyy is 'agility for dummies'. It's just something that the dogs and I do for sh!ts and giggles. So I choose my trials based on how fun the people are and how good the food is (I love to eat).

I still would like to put a S-NATCH on Wick, though. :D

Oh I still like playing NADAC, but will only enter local trials. Unfortunately the rules change too frequently for anyone to keep up, let alone attain anything. I hate when they make new rules based on problems with the last rule changes - they can't admit their mistakes, they just make a new rule to cover it up. Remember the whole 20" jump height cut-off problems way back when? eek!

I also don't want my dog doing a 5' a-frame one weekend and then a 6'3" the next. I feel sorry for the people with big dogs who can no longer jump 24"!

You drive 6 hours for lessons? or for trials?

Unfortunately the rules ... change too frequently for anyone to keep up, let alone attain anything.

I guess I am not experienced enough to be bothered by the rule changes. I just find someone who is experienced in NADAC and ask them if I'm confused (and I'm always confused). Then some certificate or another shows up, and I tack the new alphabet soup onto the dogs' name. At 4 trials a year, I don't think we're going to attain much except some Superior titles in the dogs' fave classes (Touch n Go for Bear, Tunnelers for Wick).

I also don't want my dog doing a 5' a-frame one weekend and then a 6'3" the next. I feel sorry for the people with big dogs who can no longer jump 24"!

I've heard this one too, though I haven't personally had a problem. We got this argument when the AAC lowered the a-frame to 5'6" for all regular dogs, down from 6'3". Much outcry about how we wouldn't be 'competitive' on a world level, etc. Um, world level? I'd just like to get out of Advanced Team!

As for the jump height thing, I was told that if I started playing flyball, my Wick would jump 'flat'. So far, doesn't seem to be a problem. Jumps are for jumping, as Linda M says. Sometimes I run her at 26" in pactice, sometimes at 22" and then at 20" in NADAC.

You drive 6 hours for lessons? or for trials?

6 hours to some trials. I don't take lessons, just seminars. Everything is too darned far away! We go to drop-in once a month or so, and the odd seminar. Trial once a month or so.

And for Melanie, those are skater's legs, my friend! Remember - I can pass for Kristi Yamaguchi. :rolleyes:

Re: AKC Flyball

It has been rumored here in Australia for years that the AKC are going to be taking over our Flyball, the day that happens is the day i retire my dogs . But as of yet nothing has been set in concrete and hoepfully us Flyballers will have some say in the matter.

Geez at 3" jumps Elvis would fly, and clover dog would love that now that she is older. But how boring to watch .