BC Boards

Hope this BC works out..

I've been having dog adoption bad luck for the past few months. I've been stalking almost every day for a flyball/agility dog in various rescues, applied to many. Something always goes wrong during the adoption process that is out of my control (dog was adopted before my adoption date was scheduled, dog suddenly not available, I've been approved but rescue suddenly stops replying to my emails, etc). It's been getting really frustrating and I did believe that I was cursed, but I think my luck might be finally turning around. 8__8 What is fate.

I filled out an app for a BC rescue a couple days ago, and now the BC meet and greet/adoption date is scheduled for this Saturday for this awesome girl! She just turned 1 year old. I am literally stoked. Still keeping my skepticism, just in case I am literally cursed and something goes wrong again. But everything the foster mom described of her is exactly the temperament and ball drive that I have been looking for. ;__; She even likes playing in water, which is just a plus after the long list of pluses. Dock diving too?

This is her! She actually was not even listed on their site yet, because the foster mom just had her for a week. She had me contact her directly after getting my application for a flyball and agility potential, loves small~large dogs, not territorial, outgoing with people, and of course... extremely intelligent and fast at picking up commands, as BC are. Pray pray pray pray nothing goes wrong before I go to pick her up on Saturday. It'll be a 4 hour drive. I'll keep my reservations about my terrible luck and won't cheer until she is literally ON MY CAR and on the way home with me.

Crosses my fingers, crosses my toes, crosses my eyes and hair and arms and legs.

unnamed.jpg

unnamed_1.jpg

I'm just making this thread in the agility and flyball section, because that's what I aim to play with her, if I am able to adopt her... hope that's not too weird. x__x And if my luck isn't 100% absolutely freakishly terrible, and something goes wrong before Saturday/on the day of the adoption... knock on wood.

Thanks, you guys! I really hope I am not the unluckiest person in the universe and that my luck can just hold out for a couple days more...

Good luck!

I've just adopted my little girl, and I understand how hard it can be with applying to various rescues, finding that the dog you wanted was adopted, etc.. I hope this one is exactly what you're looking for!

Oh congrats! I never realized rescues can be so complex and difficult to get an adoption to go through until now- plus my bad luck. From the sounds of it, she should be exactly what I am looking for!

Oh, she's cute! If you don't want her I'll apply!

Good luck.

Btw, my Bodhi loves water. Loves to play in it, swim in it, retrieve balls in it. But jump off a dock? No @(&^)#^!* way. :P

HAHA laughs a little and then runs to her foster home to pick her up ASAP. XD

Oh man, Bodhi sounds like a ton of fun... water-loving dogs to me = 1000% fun. But the docks eh? I wonder if this girl is brave enough to fly off docks.

HAHA laughs a little and then runs to her foster home to pick her up ASAP. XD

Oh man, Bodhi sounds like a ton of fun... water-loving dogs to me = 1000% fun. But the docks eh? I wonder if this girl is brave enough to fly off docks.

Well, considering I'm in NY and she's in CA, you probably don't have too much to fear from me. If I left tonight you'd still beat me there. :lol:

Bodhi will run the whole way back down the dock to the shore and then swim out to get the tennis ball I've chucked out into the lake. He might jump off about 2 feet from the shore end, but will. not. jump off the deep end of the dock. Maybe if he'd been younger when we started I might have had better success, but he was probably about 6 before he ever had an opportunity to try a dock.

Looking forward to hearing excellent news on Sunday.

Totally know how you feel about the whole 'bunch of things going wrong' when it comes to rescue. The first dog I tried to adopt got taken before I could meet her. The second one, I was scheduled three times to go see him, but the rescue lady gave me the runaround and a bunch of excuses. Eventually, she stopped replying! I was kind of horrified at how unprofessionally the situation was handled. The third one got moved farther away the day before I put in my application. However, it all led me to the dog I ended up getting. We do flyball and agility, too, even though that was never my intention. Sometimes I think fate has something a little different in mind than what we expect or want, and everything will fall into place when it's meant to.

Totally know how you feel about the whole 'bunch of things going wrong' when it comes to rescue. The first dog I tried to adopt got taken before I could meet her. The second one, I was scheduled three times to go see him, but the rescue lady gave me the runaround and a bunch of excuses. Eventually, she stopped replying! I was kind of horrified at how unprofessionally the situation was handled. The third one got moved farther away the day before I put in my application. However, it all led me to the dog I ended up getting. We do flyball and agility, too, even though that was never my intention. Sometimes I think fate has something a little different in mind than what we expect or want, and everything will fall into place when it's meant to.

The first two are exactly what happened to me. I admit that I'm an emotional wussy and cried the first time it happened- I had everything planned out with my adoption counselor to go and pick up the dog the following weekend... and then, wowie zowie, someone adopted him through another adoption counselor. The crappy thing is that she did not let me know that he was already gone, while I was waiting around for my scheduled adoption date.

I agree, I was surprised at how unprofessional the ones I tried were. Man... I had so many attempts with so many rescues and shelters, actually, where something went wrong one way or the other. I'm going to stay skeptical even about this BC now until she actually gets on the car with me this time.

But good good, glad to know that you guys worked out for the better!! It's what we deserve around here! And funny how you say that you weren't expecting to do flyball and agility haha... and now you're here on this forum being cool beans. :D

Sometimes I think fate has something a little different in mind than what we expect or want, and everything will fall into place when it's meant to.

I think you're right about that. I went through the everything-going-wrong routine, well, 8 years back. Wasn't connecting with the dog, getting runs around or dogs adopted out from rescues. Spent months negotiating about one dog I was interested in, approved by the rescue but the president had a bug up her butt about the way I handle vaccinations and refused to consider a titer so vetoed the apps committee's decision to approve me.

The day I gave up and started looking again was the day Bodhi was first posted. It was an awful picture (replaced by a better one the next day, and he hadn't even arrived at the rescue yet). 13 days later he came home with me and he quickly became my heart dog, one of only two I've ever had who've claimed that spot, though I've loved all my dogs greatly. And within 6 months he became the therapy dog I'd hoped he'd become.

The irony of the whole thing is that right after I adopted him, the other rescue changed their vaccination requirement! Against medical recommendations, the rescue president had previously insisted on annual vaccines for just about everything. She changed that and began accepting titers.

So it all worked out extremely well. I got the best dog ever and the the other rescue advanced into the 21st Century regarding vaccination protocols. In the end it was a win-win.

There are great rescues who don't operate the ways some of you describe. But even with the best rescues it can be an exercise in patience. I'm glad you're working through the frustrations and sticking with the decision to rescue. When things click and the right one's in your car coming home it'll be the start of something great.

My old boy died in February, and by April I realized I was ready for another dog. But my work year (teacher) didn't end until June, so I had two full months of searching and thinking before I could bring a dog home. I fell in love with probably two or three dogs over those two months, and watched them get adopted before I was ready.

The day before my school year ended, this ridiculous little dog - not at all what I had been looking for! - popped up on the website of a rescue that had approved me. But they described her as quiet, housebroken, shy, and loving. I wrote the coordinator, telling her I really wanted to meet a dog before bringing her home, and she said the dog was being transported up to my area that coming weekend. If I met and liked her at the transport drop-off location, i could bring her home.

The little girl jumped into my car as soon as i opened the door, and promptly fell asleep for the three hour ride to my house. She hasn't mssed the house once, has settled into my lifestyle really well, and is quickly making progress in trusting the world and meeting people.

The rescue adoption process was a lot less efficient and straightforward than I would have thought - it definitely seems to depend on the personalities of the individuals or groups that run each rescue. I ended up adopting from a rescue that seemed to share some core ideas and values with me - and it worked out well in the end.

Good luck with this girl, but keep an open mind! ;)

But good good, glad to know that you guys worked out for the better!! It's what we deserve around here! And funny how you say that you weren't expecting to do flyball and agility haha... and now you're here on this forum being cool beans. :D

I knew he would be good at agility, but flyball I was like no way. He has no ball drive outside. I underestimated his work drive and focus though. He's doing full runs now, which is impressive to me since we only do it about once a week if that and started in April. Oh, and I totally cried when I went to pick him up at the rescue and on the way home. So embarrassing.

Do we have good news?

Yes... Yas yas yas!

This. Girl. Came. Home. With. Me.

11755073_10153490039226703_4340482628438

11755899_10153490039221703_1661321810545

Renamed to Signal!! She is definitely not a dainty little Belle... ahah.

Longer-story-short: she is LITERALLY INSANE HAHAH, ball-driven, endless energy and never tiring, outgoing with people and dogs, literally learned 3 brand new commands on the car ride home in like 20 minutes, learned 2 new commands at my apartment in 10 minutes, crazy in every way and I LOVE IT ALL SO MUCH ALREADY. I currently lost my clicker, so I didn't even use that. She is literally insane.

And agile as hell. She literally automatically goes NUTS over the flirt pole and can do actual backflips. I have never had a dog who can naturally do backflips.

PERFECT Border Collie.

I am cheering.

slkdfjskldfklsdfjklsd

Pretend I am totally normal and didn't use a bunch of caps lock and keyboard slamming in happiness just now.

Also, last night I caught her nodding off. She was just lying there with her head up, when I noticed her head falling? And she would SNAP up again all like "Yeah no I am totally awake and totally border collie, not sleepy at all nope nope obviously--" *head falls again*

I have never witnessed a dog nodding off before and this is 100% hilarious.

I also discovered that she is also 100% not housebroken, but we will be working on that ahaaah.

Oh, darn! I'd only made it as far as Colorado in my mad dash to get to wherever she was in CA afore ye.

Seriously, though, congratulations on bringing Signal home. It looks like the your patience was well rewarded.

I think you two are going to have tons of fun together. :D

So pleased for you but don't forget that the best thing you can teach her is to switch off. You will be happier and so will your other dogs. I wouldn't be using a flirt pole winding up a dog that needs to chill and settle into a new home and family.