BC Boards

Different ways of teaching 2x2s

The topic of recallers got distracted by Susan Garretts 2x2 method and the subject of variations came up.

I am curious about other ways to train using them, what variations have you used. I am always on the hunt for new ideas to help my beginner dogs become successful at weaving, as we all know dogs learn things so differently.

I kind of made mine up as we went along. I basically started with one set of 2x2s and got him going through those. Then added another set a ways away and slowly moved that set in until it was essentially a channel. Then added another set for 6 and moved it in until it was a channel. Then closed the channel and started working entrances as well as adding additional poles.

We haven't worked but pretty sporadically and he has his 12 weaves now. And now I'm proofing entrances and working on front and rear crosses before and after the poles and sending from a distance.

Someone told me it was similar to SG method but I don't know since I've never looked into her method.

I don't do agility any more so am not up on the latest. My first two dogs learned with WAMs and did fine. The next two learned SG's 2 x 2, based on her Clean Run articles and did great. I especially liked their drive, frustration tolerance (during the training period) and ability to make challenging entries. Based on observations back in the day, I think any method will work if you like it and believe in it. I have even seen great weaves trained with the lure method.

Totally agree that any method can work well if it suits the particular dog. I was all set to use 2x2 and/or channels with my youngster but he wasn't that thrilled at the prospect.

Also tried the variant in which one pole at a time is added at an angle and gradually moved in. Better but still not very enthusiastic.

After a couple of days of 12 in line weaves he's doing very well and entering from both sides independently.

I find how dogs learn really interesting, I am working with a bunch of different dogs who are at different stages of training and also owner knowledge. Most have easily taken to using channels, but I have one border collie, who I can't decide if he is stupid, or just really had no idea how to learn, who when we introduced him to channels could not figure it out, so I switched to 2x2 .... Progress is slow but at least we have some! Then I have the border collie who has been so conditioned to formal obediance with his owner that he can't do anything without going into a heel position with her, and can not drive forward with me we have no problems

I had used Mary Ellen's article to help a couple of dogs transition from open channels to closed entrances, it worked really well, so I have been using channels for drive and speed through the poles and once they are consistently driving through introduce 2x2 concept to finish the job.

I'm a great believer in channels for dogs that lack drive or coordination, supplemented by 2x2 for entries but experience has taught me that some dogs just don't need the complication.

I was uncertain what type of weaves to buy but ended up getting standard competition type and after 3 short sessions he is where our channel taught collie was after 3 months.

Some dogs just get it.

I've only trained two dogs to weave. With Kylie, I tried 2X2 and she just wasn't getting it. It ended up being mostly shaping with a little bit of luring and then 2X2 for entrances. Took forever for her to catch on and frankly her weaves are still pretty behind the rest of her agility performance - though a lot of that is because I broke them by pushing too hard and went from fast, bouncy, enthusiastic weaving to 'what is a weave pole'. That was fun (not!).

So, basically she's now working collection for weaves and independence and speed and I'm learning how to get speed without pulling her out.

Molly did 2X2 and channels. She got it much faster than Kylie, but I knew what I was doing with Molly, and Molly is just not Kylie, you know? She's still pretty new to it, but she gets it a lot better than Kylie did until recently. Independence is the biggest thing she still needs to learn.

I will say, though, as a disclaimer that weaves are not regularly taught in our classes - they're a separate class that occurs about once a year, and I've never managed to be at the right point in training to take advantage of them. So I just make it up as I go along, and focus on them some in private lessons after the basic performance is done.

I am going to put a plug in for a online seminar I am still finishing http://datadrivenagility.com/seminars/online-seminars/wicked-weaves-ii It is not a beginner weave course, but the exercises have done amazing things for Rievaulxs collection, for the first time he has really grasped the concept of getting in those poles, and I have learned to have confidence that he will ... Once in we are have no problems ... It was putting the breaks on to make that turn that was our problem.

It is a small group taught through a closed Facebook group, Amanda is very responsive and provides good feedback. I do though have a feeling that she has personally taught everyone in the group, I have taken private lessons with her, which might make a difference. That said the different exercises have given us some really interesting challenges.

A quick translation in many parts of New England "wicked" means extra good, as in "that was wicked good"

Collection was a problem for channel trained Kye being quite a leggy and not particularly flexible dog.

I'm working on entries from the start with Risk but it's easier for him being small and short backed.

Tempting to do too much as he's doing so well so I'll have to discipline myself.

Kylie is an 11" tall dog who by all rights should have no serious collection issues. Unfortunately, no one told her that :P. Her stride's actually really long for being a pretty short-legged little dog. She can turn and change directions to take an off course long after you think she's safely headed for the right obstacle if you let up handling at all, but she is definitely having to *learn* to collect more than I expected.

Molly figured it out, faster. Then again, Molly probably had to figure it out faster. Kylie's only started really opening up to run in the past few months.