BC Boards

Frisbee question

I'm working with one of my dogs with frisbees because it seems to be her favorite thing to do, but I can't seem to find a frisbee that won't break in 5 minutes.

Anyone else who plays frisbee with their dogs... What brand/where do you buy yours? I have tried multiple brands, and have only found one that won't break in 5 minutes but instead warps so doesn't fly good anymore. And it was excessively expensive.

So, if anyone could help out itd be appreciated!

I bought my dog one of these:

http://www.flippyflopper.com/

They are only $5.49 on the website (I think I paid around $8 or $9 at the local pet store I support).

They fly pretty good in my opinion, but I have a small backyard and well, I'm not the world's best frisbee thrower either! I really like that they are soft so it easier on their mouths when they catch it.

Hopefully one of these would work for you!

I like the fabric ones as well. Easier on the dogs' tongues.

There are cheap fabric discs and some that are more expensive. In my experience you get what you pay for. If you don't mind them getting raggedy and replacing them more often, by all means get the cheaper ones. They're also available in pet and feed stores.

OTOH, if you're more serious about disc and/or just want more durability, Ruffwear makes some nylon/foam discs as well. I have one of these: http://www.ruffwear.com/Hydro-Plane

They have another one, too, if you like the more traditional shape: http://www.ruffwear.com/Hover-Craft-Flying-Disc-Dog-Toy?sc=2&category=24 It appears from reviews that people don't like these as well as a previous version.

If you search foam flying discs you'll also come up with a variety of foam options at different price points.

Here are 2 more foam discs that people have just recommended to me. Mid price range.

http://starmarkacademy.com/products/easy-glide-durafoam-disc/

On amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000FMFM2E/ref=pd_aw_sim_199_1?refRID=1KWNJJCATVRJXW169V2D

I think they come in 9" and 11" sizes.

People like West Paw Designs discs as well:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004A7X268/ref=pd_aw_sim_199_17?refRID=04HWRPRTMHJBH3ACQ24R

6.5" and 8.5" sizes for those.

Kong Extreme Flyer - it's about 10-12.00 but it lasts pretty well. As long as you don't use it as a tug toy anyway. I did. It still lasted for quite a while.

Otherwise, I use the plastic tubing and fabric sort. They won't warp, they're easy on the dog, and they fly well. The favorite for me is the 4.00 TSC frisbee, but my little dog recently got a tiny chuck -it disc with similar but sturdier construction and I fully intend to get one for Molly in the regular size".

The rigid ones never work for me because, as you said, they warp. Even the hyperflite ones haven't done as well for me and my dog as the fabric ones with the tube. I'd change if I were going to compete but since I"m not - the longer they last, the better.

So many options! Thank you guys so much for your quick responses.

I believe I've tried the TSC one, if we're speaking of the same frisbee, and I don't remember if it's the one I misplaced, or the one she cracked in half. I'll have to get another one to see how that works since it's a local thing I can just grab before I bother ordering things online.

The chuck it zip flight is not durable. We have been through two in two years and only used them in the spring-fall months for water playtime. The fabric frayed and shredded. We used one until the whole thing practically disappeared.

If you're more serious about frisbee, as in long distance catches and such, then these are great:

http://www.herodiscusa.com/canine-dog-discs

These are our everyday discs. They make one for cold freezing temps, different weights, sizes,and even have cheap misprints. They have never cracked or warped, we have had maybe 6 in 4 years. Almost all are still used at some point. They last pretty much forever and we only retire them when the inside edge gets a little rough. It can sometimes cut the dogs tongue a bit. But they just become car discs that we keep just in case we are out and want to play or forgot a toy.

Ah, then we must not be talking about the same TSC one haha. I think I have that one laying around the house somewhere from when she was a puppy. It was her first frisbee, it seemed appropriate since it was so soft and light. But you're not kidding about the grime!

Once again thanks, I have a lot to choose between now. I'm thinking maybe I'll give the kong brand a try first since I have other toys made by them that have held up quite some time now.

Chuckit Flying Squirrel, canvas and tubing. I like it because I can fold it into my back pocket on a walk. They're moderately durable, though we worked with a search dog (a Lab, but not mine) who would need a new one about every two months. He really like it as his reward toy at the end of a search problem. Golan has been easier on his so far; and we've had it a few months.

I use the Herodisc Airdog discs. Not bad for calm days and they last pretty well. I still end up buying 20 or 30 at a time and use them in sets of five which can last a month or two. For windy days, accuracy and distance I use a local brand from here in Japan.."Mt Fuji Cup" Field Dogs discs. Great discs and priced well with five different plastic compositions.

I think it really kind of depends on your definition of durable and for me price point heavily influences my perception. If I buy a 99 cent disc from Petsmart I expect it to be fun for a day and if it lasts longer, awesome. If it costs less than 5.00 and lasts more than a month, I'm gold. If it costs about 10.00 and lasts for 3 months, also fine. 15.00 and I want 6 months or so. I expect NOTHING to last longer than that.

I've got a floppy disc (http://www.amazon.com/Floppy-Disc-Soft-Flying-Dogs/dp/B00DFABI8A/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1436800033&sr=1-1&keywords=floppy+disc) and it has held up way better then I expected. I've had it for about 10 months now and use it at least once a week. I actually used it a lot as a tug toy as well because Archer didn't care much about bringing a frisbee back, but playing a bit of tug every time he brought it back made him enjoy it more. There's a small tear in the frisbee but it still works. I'll definitely buy another after this one is destroyed.

I've also got a hyperflite jawz which I like. Haven't had it for long though so I can't comment on durability, but it does seem like it should hold up pretty well. Used it about 4 times so far and there aren't any teeth marks yet.

I like the flippy flyer, and Jes finds those easy on his mouth. But they are lightweight and blow away easily in any breeze, so on windy days I use the Kong disc. Kong discs rock. Mine is still in terrific shape, two years old. Worth the investment.

I purchased a new TSC soft frisbee yesterday. Other than how gross it gets, it's not giving me any problems. It flies great, and she's catching it with ease. I'll probably pick up another for how cheap they are. I think I also have a duplicate lying around my house from a year ago or so.

Now I just have to worry about picking up something different if we get serious with the frisbee thing. She shows great potential, but I'm not going to worry about that quite yet. I'll probably pick up one of the brands you guys mentioned just for variety and to see how they go.

More than 15 minutes with this TSC frisbee feels great enough for now!