BC Boards

Thunder phobic dog

I have a Thundershirt for my BC and I think it helps some, but I can only use it when I am home and a storm comes up. She is also terrified of fireworks and gun shots. Has anyone had any luck with trying to get a dog used to sounds to desensitize them? I tried playing a video of sounds of thunder, but my dog didn't react to it. We are moving to Florida in a week and I know it rains a lot there (not sure how often it thunders....) and I would like for my dog to be less stressed when a thunderstorm comes up and I am at work.

Fergie could have been the poster pup for thunder phobic dogs. She knew a low pressure area was coming way ahead of the best meteorologist. The low pressure proved to her that nasty bangs were coming.We learned to give her a benedryl as soon as she showed signs of a problem. If the storm got bad, we gave her another and shut her in the downstairs bathroom (interior). This part of North Carolina gets lots of thunder storms. And lots of neighbors celebrate any holiday with fireworks. Benedryl (OK, the generic 25 mg stuff) got us through for her 15+ years.

Dixie not only isn't afraid of such noises. She has hauled me down the street to watch the kids set off fireworks. As long as there are big pretty flashes, she loves it!

However, as soon as Fergie died, Maggie da Cat, who had ignored storms and such, became thunderphobic. Go figure.

I advise anti anxiety meds for short term use (like Xanax or Diazepam) and while the meds help control her anxiety teach her a coping strategy. On my severely thunderphobic dog we taught her to go to the bathtub as it seemed to have a calming effect on her (also we moved a lot and reasoned every house would have a bathtub). My current fearful dog learned to just seek us out and cuddle up.

In both cases after the dog learned a safe strategy they no longer needed the meds, we gradually decreased the dosage until they did not need it.

Nancy- yes I live in Raleigh, so I know all about thunderstorms and I live 5 mins from the NC State fairgrounds so...yeah... ;)

ok thanks for the advice guys. I will see if I can find a way for her to not be as afraid. I have tried playing ball or such with her and using treats to distract her, but so far didnt have success. I'll see if I can figure something out.

Lavender bandanas and music, any music has seen us through this past summers thunderstorms. And some Calmeze, a natural calming liquid. It takes the edge off Rusty's anxiety without zonking her out to the point where she starts peeing in the house. Which we had with purata, the meds the vet recommended.

I give my noise phobic guy 3 mg. melatonin (you can also use 6 mg. if necessary or for larger dogs) about 1/2 hour before I know there'll be a thunderstorm or fireworks. I also used to hug him tightly, a la' Temple Grandin or a Thundershirt. This combination has calmed him enough that now he's just nervous and clingy during thunderstorms rather than trembling in fear.

Dogs' reactions to thunder and similar noises ranges from nonexistent to abject terror. I'm not really sure how much you can desensitize the ones who are really afraid. For them I think medicating them with the least powerful thing that takes enough of the edge off that they're not going bonkers is a huge kindness. Melatonin doesn't work for all dogs. Some will need something stronger.

Two of my dogs are thunderphobic. One would run for the hills, the other freezes. A few things have helped us. 1) Georgia has a thundershirt...it helps her somewhat. Tex hated the thing and couldn't get it off fast enough. 2) Being in a safe place. For Georgia that's her crate. She can hunker down in her bed and ride it out and I know she won't be able to hurt herself. (She's the runner and she is crated when alone during 'thunderstorm season'.) For Tex, the safe place is in the middle of my bed. As long as he's there, all is ok in his world. And 3) For fireworks and very loud thunderstorms GA and TX get a Xanax. It doesn't make them ultra sleepy, just plucks the worry out of their heads.

Three year old Faith at this point is not thunderphobic. I do wonder if she will learn the behavior from the other two.

Fergie's favorite safe place was under my bed table. The bottom shelf is maybe 6-8 inches above the rug and maybe 12x18 inches. This 50 lb dog managed to be totally under that! Second choice was under our double bed. No higher, but roomier.