BC Boards

Manual Power Dog Treadmill

Hello again.

So after seeing all the rain I have been getting lately I decided to do a bit of research on an inexpensive way to keep my dog exercised when running outside, fetch and other activities outdoors were not an option. I came across a treadmill idea. Perfect, I thought, though looking at the prices of them were a bit daunting. So I contacted a friend of mine who happens to be an engineer and he and I brained stormed a bit till we came up with the materials to build a manual power carpet mill. I have had this fore a few weeks now, and have been trying to slowly get my girl to become comfortable with it. She has no problem jumping on and off, walking over it etc, but when it comes to trying to get her to actually use it when hooked in is another story. I have patiently used my hand to get her to take a few halting steps, giving her treats all the while and encouragement. But that is it, she will not even attempt to begin walking on her own, after three weeks, I have tried lures of all sorts, her favorite high value treats, and even toys. Now when I go to push it she shuts down completely and trys to squat/laydown as much as the harness will allow. After seeing this the first time I had stopped immediately and when to finish just on walking on and off the mill again to 'end on a good note' and called it quits for two days and did not push the issue further. After a respite she seemed to do alright again when I worked up to pushing it, but again we are at a few halting steps, while I push it and she refuses to even attempt to try. Does anyone have any advice or words of encouragement? I do not understand why she is doing this. All the videos I have looked up for this, when researching the idea till now have showed dogs eager to work on a mill once they found out they can run on it. But my dog does not seem in the least interested in even trying. Sighs, I just hope I didn't do all this for nothing, there was a good deal of money put into the idea as well as time, I would hate to see that all wasted.

I would step back from wanting her to walk on it. Relax for a bit and do loads of fun stuff near and aroung the thingy except trying to have her walk on it. Have fun crazy games that require the treadmill to happen. Walk on it yourself while eating icecream and playing with a ball. Don't invite her in, YOU're having fun on the treadmill because it's oh, so fun. Often, the more we want something to happen, the more anxious the dog gets about it. If you do a lot of cool stuff on the treadmill but completely relax about her walking on it, she may well find she wants to try it too.

I too had thought about walking on it myself to show her how fun it could be, but it is to small for a human, even someone as short as I am. My friend and I designed this specifically for her height, length and weight. Though I will try to involve fun times around it, fetch, hide and seek etc. Maybe if I leave it alone for a few weeks instead of days?

How is the treadmill too small for you? Is there a roof or top on it? The motorized dog treadmills I see for sale online have running areas that 3 to 4 feet long, or more, which I'd think would accommodate a human stride. Is it maybe too smal for her? Unless of course it's the weight ratio thing that prevents you using it too. Or is it perhaps a bit stiff and she has to work too hard to get it to roll underfoot? I would think it would have to be pretty darned free-spinning to entice her to move at all.

There's also the possibility that she just doesn't see the point in it. Running for no reason without going anywhere may not make any sense, since she's not going anywhere or doing anything .... I think the reason dog treadmills are usually motorized is so that they kind of have no choice but to move their feet. ;)

Sorry I'm no help, but honestly, I wonder if she's simply too smart for it to make good sense, to her.

~ Gloria

I use to make carpet mills and sell them to urban mushers. Dogs definitely need a much longer treadmill than you would think. My parents 20 lb mini poodle needed at least 3 1/2 feet to be able to run. There was a leash attached to the back of it. The dogs need something to kinds pull against if the inclination isn't super steep.

@talksalot:

I can not use it due to the weight is not meant for human support. There is also the harness rig in the center making it awdward for someone taller to use the mill. As far as it being stiff, no my engineer friend went over and beyond with the bearings, I can hand turn it and it will freely spin. However I am wondering about how well she can grip it to push against it and run. She is only about 43 pounds, so that does add some friction to the smooth turning, I had attempted to find the smoothest backing that I could on a carpet, as well as a slick surface for it to turn over, a white bord like material, the ones you use dry erase markers on. I don't know how well she grips the carpet, I do not trim her nails, since she doesn't jump and we go outside alot it never really bothered.

@Jescano:

Yes there is a stand to hook her harness into. And I did take into consideration the over all length to fit her stride. The belt length is a good 60'' equaling 5ft of tread for her to walk on. So I do not think this is the issue. Due to the bearings and design used, I also have a good incline, but not a 'super steep' one.

@Liz P:

Yes this was my first thought for her, as I remember going to a Dairy Queen as a kid and they had one of these, though it was more log shaped so multiple people could fit in it and run. However I do not have the room for this so that idea very quickly faded.

Does anyone have any idea how I can tell if she can adequately grip the carpet I am using so she can push against it to get the mill to turn? It is a fairly short carpet, but still grippy like any carpet I know of.

We've had a carpet mill, a human treadmill and now a DogPacer. None of my dogs would use the carpet mill. Only about halve could use the human treadmill b/c it was too short and probably too loud.

The majority of them enjoy the DogPacer. We're still working on the Malinois but he can be suspicious in general.