BC Boards

1" vs. 3/4" weave poles

Ok, this is a silly question but I screwed up the other day.

I FINALLY got both my dogs to weave (!!!) but the poles I'm using are little 1/2" PVC poles stuck in the ground and only 24" high. They were fine at first, but now that the dogs are plowing through them they are starting to shift and crack.

So, I went out and got 5/8" X 18" metal stakes with the intention of hammering them in the ground and then sliding 1" X 40" PVC over the top. I bought the PVC and the stakes before I double checked the size of standard PVC poles which is 3/4".

Duh.

Now, PVC is not that much money and I could use the 40' of 1" PVC I bought for jumps...but would there be any harm in using 1" vs. 3/4" PVC poles for weaves? The 3/4" will fit VERY tight on the stakes, the 1" will wobble a little bit. I'm thinking it will be better for the poles to be tight anyway.

Just curious. Buddy is 50lbs and he BLOWS through them (a problem until he learns more control) so I want something that is pretty sturdy, but I don't want him to get into a trial and go "oh...these are not the same thickness that I use at home...what do I do!!??"

You know what I mean!

Denise

Originally posted by BigD:

...Buddy is 50lbs and he BLOWS through them (a problem until he learns more control) so I want something that is pretty sturdy, but I don't want him to get into a trial and go "oh...these are not the same thickness that I use at home...what do I do!!??"

Honestly, I would get him on to rigid bases as soon as possible. I left my border collie on channels (which I staked, tied together, and otherwise tried to make immovable) too long, and she got used to shouldering her way THROUGH them, instead of weaving. Wick on channel poles The first time she was on rigids, the poles whacked her in the face. She definitely doesn't weave the same on rigid poles as she does on stick-in-the-grounds or channels (and she's only 32 pounds).

I would also get a set of weaves that have a base . also i would teach your dog to check himself, if he is hitting his shoulders.he will end up brusing them, decreasing his longevity!

as tom 1 inch vrs 3/4 inch. i use 3/4.

bobh

Ok, now what is the difference between base weaves and stick in the grounds? The ones I'm sticking in the ground will NOT move. The ones we use in class on the base, flex a little, but they are not on springs and are pretty rigid.

Thanks for the help!

The important thing is that the poles do not move. If you use poles on bases, you may need to stake the bases to the ground to ensure this (depending on the style and power of the dog).

If you want to be competitive, the dog needs to learn to weave, not push the poles out of the way. Weaving is faster.

Sorry, I can't think of a reason to vote either for or against the 1" poles. However, I did have a trainer recommend short poles during initial training to encourage the dog to keep its head down. I don't know how generally accepted that advice is.

There are a couple of agility lists that would probably produce more and better responses to your question. Both are on yahoo: agility-equipment and CleanRun

Originally posted by BigD:

Ok, now what is the difference between base weaves and stick in the grounds?

The big difference is how they move (or don't move). Even if your stick-in-the-grounds don't move AT ALL, that's not what the dog will be weaving in a trial. Poles on rigid bases do move, and a dog that goes THROUGH them will have a different experience with rigid-base poles (like, the whole set of 6 comes unstaked).

If you don't think you're going to trial, then use whatever you have. Toilet plungers work great on hardwood. But since you are going to compete (and therefore are wondering about the thickness of PVC) you should be training on equipment that is similar to that which you will see in a trial.

Also, get your dog used to different sets of weave poles. Some move more than others, some will have thicker PVC, some have crazy stripes, and some are really short (or tall). Some bases are quite tall, and dogs trip on them. The spacing can be different, depending on the organization.

IOW, take your game on the road! Ditto contact equipment, and even tunnels. I've seen very good dogs balk the first time they see a clear tunnel (I hate 'em) or a dark blue tunnel.

Back to the original question: I don't think it matters if it's 1" or 3/4". I've seen both. And to Alaska's point, if you want to encourage the dog to keep her head down, you can tie survey tape along the poles, about an inch or so below the height of the shoulder. However, as the proud owner of a 'tall weaver' I am all for letting the dog choose his/her style of weaving. The important thing is that they make funny faces!

funny_face.jpg