BC Boards

Would love your opinion on my handsome man

I recently adopted my newest dog (Gunnison) from a neighbor of mine who was moving out of the country and couldn't take him with her. She had gotten him from the humane society and when she gave me his paperwork, I was surprised to see that the humane society had him listed as an Australian Shepherd. I have had several Aussies and Aussie mixes, and while Gunner might have some Aussie in him, I see more border collie. After a quick google search, I believe he is a sable saddled border collie. Not that it matters, but I would love your opinion on the matter. In a few of the pictures he is with my Australian Shepherd/Red Heeler Mix, Lucy.

post-17584-0-14911100-1429026801_thumb.jpgpost-17584-0-06510900-1429026807_thumb.jpgpost-17584-0-68165000-1429026814_thumb.jpgpost-17584-0-76660000-1429026822_thumb.jpg

From what I see, I'd agree with the OP.

Behavior is often more indicative than just looks, though, so I'd take that into consideration as well.

And you're also correct that he's one very handsome guy. Good for you for giving him a great home when his FO couldn't take him along.

Gunnison is 50 lbs, and exhibits behaviors of most herding breeds. He loves to "help" herd the cows and bison on our ranch with Lucy, and has boundless energy. He has zero interest in retrieving anything with my husband's hunting lab, but loves playing in the water. He has pretty intense separation anxiety when I leave him for more than 2 minutes, and is my constant shadow. He was a street dog before being adopted by my neighbor, and for the first couple of weeks he was extremely nervous of almost everything. He is very shy of most men and small children, unless I am with him. He is coming around though and since he has been with us, he really has shown more of his true character. All that really matters is that Gunner is a happy and well loved guy. I'm glad he came to our family.

I agree that you'll probably learn more about him from his working style than anything else. Border collies and English shepherds -- and Aussies -- have very different working styles, and since he's helping you with the livestock you're in a perfect position to be able to see that.

If you're not familiar with the ways these various breeds work, I'd suggest you watch some videos on YouTube and elsewhere.

Better yet, so go t some trials to see the real thing in real time. You might even get hooked. :D

Thanks everyone! I am most familiar with the style and body language of how Aussies and Heelers work livestock, and he doesn't really relate to either. I'm not very familiar with any other styles, but I will most definitely look into some videos.

We are most certainly from Colorado! He was named Gunnison because my family has a cabin by the Anthracite range on Ohio creek pass by Gunnison that I absolutely love. I also am a raft guide/kayaker in the summers and the black canyon on the Gunnison river is one of my favorites!

Yay! Other people from Colorado! I did honor bands in Gunnison in high school, what a beautiful town! But coooooold.

In the first picture, he really reminds me of Tess, a BC on the forum. She's owned by Tess' Girl if you want to look her up. She's also a sable. Like everyone said, his personality traits will be more telling of what he is. But I wouldn't question BC if that's what you told me. He definitely is some type of herder!

Gunner looks more like a Welsh Sheepdog to me, if rather heavy at 50lbs. I imagine it's unlikely though.

He looks exactly like the family of Welsh sheepdogs I've met. But from talking to owners they are very very rare in the US. Assuming the poster is in the US of course.

I appreciate all of the input! I will look more into the herding styles of English shepherds and Welsh sheepdogs. The longer we have Gunner, the more convinced I am that he wasn't a "backyard accident" puppy. He picked up herding the cattle almost immediately and works with Lucy effortlessly. We thought he was going to just be a pet, and weren't sure how he'd react to livestock after being a city stray (my neighbor adopted him in Denver, Colorado). However, it's obvious that herding is in his blood.

Seriously, don't discount full Border Collie. It is very possible.

I most certainly haven't! However when he works the cattle, he holds his tail pretty high and he doesn't do the common border collie crouch/stalking movement. I know not EVERY border collie crouches/stalks but it is indicative of the breed. He also doesn't have a "strong eye" when working. It's my understanding that these are strong traits of the Border collie.