BC Boards

Canine flu ?

ncsugrad54

Hi. What are you guys' thoughts on getting the vaccination for the canine flu? I know there is a huge outbreak in Chicago and they are expecting it to spread. I am planning on taking my BC to a dog event this weekend, and am moving in a couple months to Florida and will be taking her to a 5 acre dog park down there. Do you think she needs the vaccination for it? Trying to decide....

Did you check in with your vet already? What did he/she say if you have?

I'm personally foregoing the shot for my pup because I have the option of keeping her home and exposing her only to dogs that I know also stay home. We have a number of friends who have said they won't send their pup to doggie daycare for the time being or the dog park to avoid bringing anything bad into our group of dogs. We're going to do our own rotating doggie playgroup at everyone's houses for fun and socialization.

Sounds like you may not have the option of keeping her secluded from strange dogs if you're attending an event, but perhaps you can avoid parts of it where they're in close proximity or sharing water? I'm not sure how things spread in the dog world, but I do know that sick dogs exhibit symptoms of many illnesses - like Kennel Cough has sneezing, snorting, mucus, etc. Stay away from extra drippy snouts, sneezers and lethargic looking dogs.

The 5 acre dog park sounds lovely. Once you figure out what you're doing with the illness prevention, have lots of fun!

I'm trying to decide as well. I live just a couple hours from Chicago and family members will soon start taking produce to farm markets there. And a couple dogs on my SAR team travel around Indiana quite a bit. It sounds like the vaccine is specific to this virus and the virus is a bit worse than something like kennel cough.

The virus is much worse than kennel cough. I've been through an outbreak with my dogs, prior to the vaccine being available. My healthy, 2 year old Border Collie developed pneumonia and was on 6 weeks of antibiotics. My other 3 dogs got sick as well, but they recovered on their own after a few weeks. I really don't want to go through that again.

I don't have access to the vaccine through my current job but I am considering tracking down doses in the area. All but one of my dogs (1 yr old) have had the flue vaccine in the past, but I have not given it every year.

This is strictly my opinion which has been formed after speaking to many vet professions, asses the over all health of your dog before taking it to a higher risk environment.

At a recent seminar conducted by a well respected vet, it was stated that the viruses themselves are not nearly as lethal if the dog's immune system is not already compromised. Things that compromise the system, stress, coccidiosis, giardia and the big one that he pointed out WORMS. So many say that their dogs don't have worms because their fecals are clean and they never see worms. Well, they could still have a worm load and when you take the dog out to a high risk environment, between the load and the stress it increases the odds that a virus will get picked up and cause havoc.

So, I wouldn't be taking my dogs out if

A. they were puppies or young dogs with immature and untested immune systems,

B. they were elderly/older,

C. if they are not used to travel and the stress involved with travel and

D. if I'm uncertain about their overall health status and felt comfortable with my health protocol.

This would basically leave me traveling with only my middle aged accomplished dogs that have been there, done that and seen it all but one also has to consider that they could bring it home to their other dogs or to their friends or families dogs.

Anyway, again, just my opinion, basically look at running a risk assessment which should also be done regardless of if your dog has had the vaccine or not.

This notice just came across my FB feed from someone who is showing dogs

"The canine influenza is not the same as canine para-influenza . The disease is spreading. The first dose takes seven to ten days to give minimal protection. The second dose given two to three weeks later does the job. It is pricey but five dogs have died in the Chicago area. You can order 25 doses on line or contact your vet. This is a serious situation with up coming futurities and shows."

I haven't gotten the vaccine. If I lived in the "hot zone" I'd probably get one.

That said, some gunk is floating around where we live. Keeper got it at the same time as the neighbor's mini aussie that I watched for 2 weeks, then Trooper, now my friend's 2 dogs have it. Keeper just had quite the cough, some sneezing, and lethargy. I also think he had some body aches. He played just as hard as usual, but he'd be really sore and tired afterwards. My friend's dogs were also having some vomiting and diarrhea, with runny noses. I don't think it's the flu, but there's still lots of nasty things floating around.

this is the update from the AVMA in regard to the vaccine posted a couple of days ago:

"The vaccine is intended as an aid in the control of disease associated with CI virus infection. Although the vaccine may not prevent infection altogether, efficacy trials have shown that the vaccination may significantly reduce the severity and duration of clinical illness, including the incidence and severity of damage to the lungs. In addition, the vaccine reduces the amount of virus shed and shortens the shedding interval; therefore, vaccinated dogs that become infected develop less severe illness and are less likely to spread the virus to other dogs. These benefits are similar to those provided by influenza vaccines used in other species, including humans.

The canine influenza vaccine is a "lifestyle" vaccine, and is not recommended for every dog.4 In general, the vaccine is intended for the protection of dogs at risk for exposure to the CI virus, which include those that either participate in activities with many other dogs or are housed in communal facilities, particularly where the virus is prevalent. Dogs that may benefit from canine influenza vaccination include those that receive the kennel cough (Bordetella/parainfluenza) vaccine, because the risk groups are similar. Dog owners should consult with their veterinarian to determine whether their dog's lifestyle includes risks for exposure to the CI virus, and if the vaccine is appropriate for their dog."

https://www.avma.org/KB/Resources/Reference/Pages/Canine-Influenza-Backgrounder.aspx

We had canine influenza go through our area a few years ago. Most of the cases we saw in the Veterinary practice where I work were from a boarding kennel that fostered dogs for a rescue. The foster dogs brought it in and then the boarders got it. What we found was that if a dog wasn't vaccinated against canine flu OR bordetella it would get pneumonia. One nearly died. I'm sure that dog has lung consolidation so that would be detrimental for a working/competition dog. Dogs that were vaccinated against bordetella might get the flu but it wasn't too bad. Similar to kennel cough and wouldn't end up as pneumonia. I never vaccinated my dogs against the flu but I do keep them current on bordetella. If you are sure your dogs will be exposed to the flu I would do both bordetella and canine influenza (even though I worry about over-vaccination.) I also wouldn't take any dog who was immune compromised (very old, very young) in those areas.

Ok thanks guys. I appreciate all the input . I decided to get her vaccinated due to the fact that we will be at the dog park and I'm sure this move will be stressful on both of us. She gets bordatella shots bc she has occasionally been to daycare and/or boarding.

I haven't gotten the vaccine. If I lived in the "hot zone" I'd probably get one.

That said, some gunk is floating around where we live. Keeper got it at the same time as the neighbor's mini aussie that I watched for 2 weeks, then Trooper, now my friend's 2 dogs have it. Keeper just had quite the cough, some sneezing, and lethargy. I also think he had some body aches. He played just as hard as usual, but he'd be really sore and tired afterwards. My friend's dogs were also having some vomiting and diarrhea, with runny noses. I don't think it's the flu, but there's still lots of nasty things floating around.

Where do you live kingfisher7151? What state? Curious as to what area things are going around in

I just talked with my vet yesterday who said at this time he doesn't recommend it for my dogs. He thinks that the numbers being reported may be inflated and many of the cases are Kennel Cough rather than influenza. I don't know. I live in the same general area as Mara, just a couple hours from Chicago and am concerned about when the summer people and tourists start coming over with their dogs. Meanwhile, Quinn's chiropractor vet the next state over in Indiana is recommending the vaccination. My dogs don't have much to do with other dogs, though I have a friend in Chicago who has a dog and they periodically visit. Also, I take them to a groomer. I have family in Chicago but when I visit with the dogs, they stay on my mother's property so that feels low risk to me. I'm most concerned about the groomer. I plan on keeping a close eye on the situation. I am alarmed by Liz P's alarm. :(

Something I read said that some dogs show no symptoms but can still pass it on to other dogs.

I am not a fan of dog parks and we don't go there. But there is a new dog park in North Kansas City and I drove past it the other day. It was full of dogs and owners. That flu would go like wildfire in a place like that.

I should clarify that normally I don't like dog parks. I am picky about which ones are ok and I'm also picky about daycares/boarding. But due to some changes, we will be going to the dog park more. We visited this dog park down there and everything went fine and ppl were watching their dogs and cleaning up after them, so so far seems good.

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/the-dog-flu-epidemic-the-real-truth/

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/canine/index.htm The percentage of dogs infected with this disease that die is very small. Some dogs have asymptomatic infections (no signs), while some have severe infections. Severe illness is characterized by the onset of pneumonia. Although this is a relatively new cause of disease in dogs and nearly all dogs are susceptible to infection, about 80 percent of infected dogs will have a mild form of disease.

I just had our vet here to give all our youngsters their rabies shots, he said to just hang tight, keep the dogs healthy and out of high risk environments. His advice was to wait until we see if it gets closer to us and then think about giving the vaccine. He wasn't to thrilled with the vaccine since it has to be given annually.

My dog isn't around a lot of dogs so as of now I'm not vaccinating for it. If we were Id play it safe rather than sorry. I read there has been a 2% death rate and usually in immunocompromised dogs. Also read they thought maybe it came from Asia and they talked about how there aren't strict enough rules on checking and quarantining through the rescues that transport dogs over here.

My friend who lives near Chicago lost her little dog to the flu last night. The dog had not been to a kennel, daycare, or dog park. She cautions everyone to take their dog to the vet for treatment at the earliest sign of symptoms. She seemed to think the dogs small size was a factor "too little to fight it off."

Researchers believe the new canine influenza A H3N2 is an avian flu line from Eurasia and North America that mutated crossing the species barrier to infect dogs.

It can be spread on infected clothing and other items in addition from dog-to-dog so that means if the flu in the Midwest is the same strain in Asia it did not need to come here in an infected dog.

It is also possible it came here in an infected migratory bird or even developed here (mutation of a North American avian flu strain) in the same way it developed in Asia.