BC Boards

Ugh! Most intelligent Breed -- Again

Agreed - Ugh! But I got a kick out of the comment that a border collie usually learned a new command in 5 repetitions or less! Ha! Tell that to my Torque - who required at least 4-6 MONTHS to learn to drop his frisbee or ball on command. I guess I must be a really crappy trainer.

What was the command? What was the teaching method? What was the environment the commands were being taught or tested in? What were the distractions? How long had the owners had the dog? How old were the various dogs? What reward was being used for the dogs? Did it vary by dog and owner, or was it static?

I hate this stuff. It's just dumb.

Salukis are usually at the bottom of the list, right by Afghan Hounds, but my Saluki was the one that figured out how to open every kind of container without leaving a tooth mark on it. He even figured out the ultimate container, the house door, which had a knob lock, a dead bolt, and a chain. He was one smart dog. Highly motivated. Thank God I finally found a crate that he couldn't escape from.

I know it's frustrating, but the best thing you can do with this sort of stuff if to just ignore it. It really isn't worth our time, and there's no use getting upset over it, because that isn't going to change anything. It sucks, we hate it, but we might as well move on to things we actually do have power over.

What I despise about this kind of article is it tells the reader nothing about what it is like to live with a BC. I love my Nattie. She is the most interesting and fun dog I have ever owned but she is also the most challenging. In a couple of years I want to get another BC. I tell people this and then I tell them, "Don't get a BC." There is a reason information about gifted children is grouped in with "Special Needs". I think Border Collies are the gifted children of the dog world.

I doubt the article is a ploy by anybody. It looks like it was written as content for a site that generates money through advertising, sharing on FB, etc. So catchy title, simple to read and easy to share, and lacking in any sort of in depth information. The writer grab readily available info and redid it into yet another article "see if your dog is on the list" article.