BC Boards

Painful puppy

My 4 month old border collie puppy seems to have bouts of being painful upon rising. It is his front legs as well as his rear legs. Once he gets up and moving, he is fine, but he seems like he feels stiff. Some days are worse than others, especially if he is extra active during the day. He runs around and plays like any puppy, but I don't recall having one that seems painful afterwards. Could it be growing pains? He has doubled his weight the past month, about the time this started. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

It does very much sound like growing pains! I'd call the vet and have him seen. Take along the Guareenteed Analysis of the puppy food you are currently feeding, your vet may want you to switch to something lower. Perhaps even adult food. Usually pano (panosteitis) affects just front legs but I was at a health seminar where an orthopedic veterinarian said he was seeing pano in the hind legs of Shelties and Border Collies. It is a leg switching lameness, when they are lame the pain is in the long bone of the leg. Your vet may want to take an x-ray to confirm it or put him on an NSAID or simply change his diet and have you decrease his activity. Good luck.

Thank you very much for your input. I questioned if it was hip dysplasia but since it seems to affect his front legs, as well, I didn't think it was that. In fact, I think it is primarily in his front legs, but he does get lame in the back also. He is due for his final round of shots, so I will make sure to set up a time for him to have a longer appointment where they can x-ray him. It does seem to rotate from leg to leg and at times when he stands up, he will curl his back up like a cat does, or stretch out. Once he does that, he is off to the races and he wants to go with us constantly. It bothers us to see him in pain, so we will definitely get it checked out. I will post what the veterinarian says so others who might be having the same issue with their puppy will see what was said. Thanks for the information!

I have an appointment next week to get him looked at and get his last round of vaccinations. It would not surprise me if he has Pano as he went from 9 lbs at 2 months to 18 lbs at 3 months. I haven't weighed him now at 4 months, but I think he is at least 25 lbs. I think I need to adjust his collar almost weekly he is growing so fast. It seems he is noticeably bigger each day. He looks great all day, but mornings and especially evenings are tougher on him. It effects his entire body, as I will see him stretching his back, as well. I never had a puppy that has done this, so it is all new to me. Thanks, everyone, for offering suggestions. We think "Ted" is the best and it bothers us that he is uncomfortable.

You do know you shouldn't vaccinate a sick dog, don't you? I'm always amazed how many vets ignore this even though the vaccine info says they should be administered only to healthy dogs.

If it were me, I'd hold off on vaccines until you have this figured out.

I took him to the vet today. Turns out Ted has some inflammation in his growth plates. He feels Ted will outgrow it but changed his diet and gave him a prescription for the pain. Will re-check in a couple weeks if he is still having trouble.

I took him to the vet today. Turns out Ted has some inflammation in his growth plates. He feels Ted will outgrow it but changed his diet and gave him a prescription for the pain. Will re-check in a couple weeks if he is still having trouble.

• 5 years later...

It sounds like Panosteitis if it is they grow out of it, in the mean time put your dog on low protein low fat diet first dicuss this with your vet my GSD boy suffered badly from this I thought at first he was just a sook because he would bump his leg and scream and you had to physically console him, but he is fine now changed his diet has gone past the first critical stage in growth and he is a different dog, always sweet always happy but now he is like he was before Pano set in he jumps out of his skin rejoicing the day.