BC Boards

Dog Nicknames

Daisy - DaisyDoodle, Doodlebug, Crazy Daisy, gross dog (she's my dog that rolls in gross stuff)

Devon - Dev, The Devonator, 'lil Dev, Devil

Teak - Tiki, TeakMonster, Needy dog

Jess - Jessie, Muffin

^ She's my newest dog so has the shortest list. :)

The evolution of nicknames is fascinating.

Molly's full name is Molybdenum (...My husband is a chemist and general geek. The atomic number of Molybdenum is 42.) She gets Molly B. a lot. Also Grin-y dog, because, well, she's a grinner. Like she submissive grins when she's excited to see someone she knows, or is going out or whatever. Took some getting used to.

Kylie gets called Princess Puppy and Diva Dog, as well as Little bit. Those are all pretty self-evident.

Bug gets called Bugs and Bunny (she can look a LOT like a dutch rabbit and it's weird).

Jack gets called Captain, jokingly, though his registered name is Jack Frost

Thud's nicknames involve an awful lot of bad language, but he answers to them and they're affectionate so he doesn't know the difference. Also Steve, for no discernable reason. But only when it's a 'Dang it, Steve!'.

Just on the evolution of nicknames- I have a dog nicknamed 'The Gudge'. I am assuming it came from 'good dog' or 'good girl', and I am the one who invented it. Origins definitely shrouded in the mists of time.

How the definite article arrived is beyond me, but she's never 'a gudge' it's always 'THE Gudge'. If you want to use it without 'the', it's 'Gudja'. Pronounced like 'Gujarati' but without the 'rati' part.

Don't judge me!

Twist: Schnookie (she has been called this since puppyhood and answers to it as well as several derivations), Twisty

Kat: Katty Rat, Baby Rat, Kattus McRattus (sense a theme here?), Girly

Pip: Pipper Dipper, Goober, The Pipster, Big Boy, Buddy

Phoebe: Phoebus (a beach in Hampton Roads, VA), Phoebe Jeebies

Lark: Larky Bo, Little Bo, Bo, Larkalicious, Larky Malarkey (She answers to Bo and variations thereof)

Birdie: Bird, Miss B, B, Birdie B (she responds to "B")

Kiss: Um, nothing printable, lol!

Those no longer with me:

Willow (That actually is a shortened version of her name, which was Willoughby, after Willoughby Spit in Hampton Roads): Willow-beast, Beastie (she answered to Willow or Beast or Beastie)

Farleigh: Snarly Farleigh

Jill: Jilly Roo or just Roo. She would answer to Roo

Boy never really had a nickname; I would sometimes call him Boy-dog.

The cats get nicknames too. The best of those are Busy Izzy (for Izzy, which is short of Isabeau) and Sneak-a-Peek, which is what I call Sneaky Ninja (also Neek-Neek, Neaky Peeky)...

J.

Callie also goes by "Small Dog" because we didn't realize when we got her that BCs were actually on the smallish side of medium sized dogs. She also gets called "Beastie" when she's being bratty or throwing a fit and "Dogdog" when she's being a ham for the camera.

A lot of times she's just "Baby" though. She gets "Calypso" when she's really bad.

Archer has situation dependent nicknames: Doofus for when he is acting dumb, Dumbo for when he is being dumb, Genius for when is does something so dumb that I can't help but laugh (ex. running into a sign post or wall while walking because he decides that watching where he walks is not important). Then of course Puppy, and pup-a-roo. Then if he is gassy he gets Sir-farts-a-lot. He responds to Puppy and is starting to respond to Doofus.

The evolution of nicknames is fascinating.

It sure is. I once had a dog named Mull, after the Isle of Mull off Scotland.

Mull quickly became Mulligan, then Mulligan Stew and was finally shortened to Stew, which became his call name for the rest of his life. He was never really called Mull at all. :P

My favorite nickname for him was a sing-songy "Mulligan Stew, where are you-oo?" He ran faster to that than anything else.

Funny, I'm remembering nicknames I couldn't last night. Bodhi is also Buddy, Bo, Bo Boy, and oddly enough sometimes Mirk. Mirk was my first border collie and heart dog. I never thought another dog would come close, but Bodhi fills that hole for me and has become my second heart dog, and sometimes I just find myself calling him Mirk. :wub:

Tansy, aka Tansy Pants, is sometimes Miss Pants, or the Snickerdoodle's shortened to Snickers.

Tilly is Miss Tilly or Tilly Pickle or Tilly Girl. . . . or Till Till.

When I was a kid we had a dog that we named Sandy. Somehow he became Sandooski. Then he became Dooski. And finally, he became Ski.

His name literally morphed!! Long before the end of his life, Sandy was only on his vet record and license!!! He was Ski to us, to the world, and in our memories to this day!

I've never quite had that happen with any of my dogs in my adult life, except that Dean somehow became Dean Dog. Neither my husband, nor I, remember how that started. But we consider Dean Dog his actual, official name, not a nickname.

Penny answers to Penny, Pen Pen, Pen, Penny-Pen... Not very original lol. Though she also gets called Prancey Pants, sweetie, baby, goofus, cutie pie, things like that.

The cat however.... Precious is often called Pookie, Bald Bellykins, Stinker McStinkerson, and sometimes Poopy Pants :)

Sadie: She doesn't really have any. I sometimes call her different things but not enough that I'd cal them a nickname.

Duke: Dukey-boy, Buster, Buster Brown, Baxter Black, Buddy, Buddy-boy. He only responds to Duke and Buster though. And Bonny

Bonny: Bunny, Bonkers, Bonkero, Bonky, Bonny-Bucket Little Brat, Stop-it. She is a crazy puppy who is at the stage where she is physically mature enough to never need to stop, and mentally immature enough to get into all kinds of trouble. She responds to Bonny and Duke. It drives me nearly insane that they respond to each other's names. "Duke, go get that toy." Bonny goes too. "Bonny c'mere" Duke comes too. "Duke go get the toy." Both go. "Bonny down." Both lay down. Repeat, until Kailey goes C.R.A.Z.Y. !!! :blink: Actually, they are getting better at that and I am also getting better at making sure I have a hold of one before sending the other one out but still.

George aka Georgeous, G Dog, Georgiesnorous, G Attack System (itself shortened to G-tacky) or Mister George

Oscar aka Oz, Osco, O Dog, Mister Oz

Bailey aka Baz, Mister Baz, Bailey Boy or Baileybaileybaileybailey until I run out of breath

Oscar and Bailey together - Rufus and Doofus

It is usually my other half who comes up with the nicknames, and I may have missed a few. George and he have an amazing connection where they essentially read each other's minds. That may be why George has the most nicknames.

I can't stop laughing! I'm so glad I asked the weird question about nicknames that started this topic. :D Speaking of inappropriate nicknames when I was kid my parents had a dog named Pee wee. My dad is deaf and can't articulate well. . one day my dad was out chasing down the escaped dog and calling his name. A few minutes later the police arrive because some lady joggers had called saying my dad was outside screaming inappropriate things at them. This same dog was down as "Dog" at the local vet clinic as the veterinarians were old-fashioned females and refused to say his name or put it on medical records.

My Loki has abandoned his nickname "Sir Poops a Lot" in favor of me singing, "will the real Loki please stand up" everytime I see him coming (to the tune of "will the real slim shady please stand up"). He shocked me with his self control and thoughtfulness on stock this weekend to the point that I asked his breeder (our instructor) Mary where had my real dog gone? And can I keep this one? :P

Bethany, Rose the amazing cone head, and Loki-impersonator

Oh my gosh! I'm still laughing about Crawford Dogs father running around yelling "Pee Wee" and offending female joggers!!!! :lol:

Logan is Mr. Pee (he's neutered but off the property he loves to mark!) Petey, or Petey Pan (he'll NEVER grow up!) or Crazy Pants or a friend calls him the "Loose Cannon on Deck." So sometimes I'll call him "Loose Cannon."

Ziva is Z, Miss Beak (she has a longish, pointy nose), Zeety Flea, Flea, Flea Farm, my friend also calls her Twiggy (after the model from the 1960's) sometimes I call her TinyDog.

The one out of all this thread that makes me so very happy is 'Mulligan stew, where are you?'

My first reaction may have been inventing a new set of nicknames for my dog in my head to see if I could find one that fit and rhymed with 'scooby doo' so I could do that.