BC Boards

Bloating in my 26month old girl.

Blackdevil

Two weeks ago, I dewormed as usual my girl, every three months, all of a sudden she got bloated, after 48 hours. I took her to the vet, we did some blood tests and an ultrasound, the bloodtest result she has something wrong with her liver. I suddenly thought I am going to lose her, to a tumour, the vet said from the results it might be a liver disease. It made sense as I feed her around 600 to 800 grams daily and she's thin and very small. I started on a strict diet of high protein and low sodium and see how things work out. I looked online and symptoms seem similiar to ascites. I wish to ask this page, does s there lie any hope, I am literally devastated and shocked to this day. Her pee was so orange that it would stain the floor at least after 9 days of medicine her pee colour is turning to normal. Today I took her to a slow pace hiking and she was over amused, she is energetic but she is pale. Believe me losing her would mean the world to me..

Next thursday Im getting a liver test done on her, there are so many things that I wish to with her and I aint even 10% there

The vet told me it's something that she was born with, I asked him if it was a tumour, he said no judging by the dog it has been something that was born with. Till now we did some blood test results ,I attached them with post. Is she going to die? Symptoms seem similiar to ascites.

LINK of blood test: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nu3mh8vzqckmixw/Maya.png?dl=0

I don't want to put her down, as some suggested, I already lost another dog to cancer and it was a humane thing to do. She doesn't look she is suffering she is weak tho. But still is very happy in my presence, Never in my life I thought for a sec that a dog would take my heart the way she took mine. She's literally my shadow. This was earlier today :)

961135_832110773513035_249648852_n.jpg?o

I had one once that had a type of liver disease where she couldn't handle certain types of fat in her diet, but as long as I fed her a low fat diet and supplemented with medium chain triglyceride oil she was fine for quite a while. Some dogs born with liver disease need limited protein and very easily digested proteins like egg whites. You may want to get a consultation with a veterinary nutritionist and see if a homemade diet with just the right foods in it would be better for her.

For now, I did some research and sent it to the vet and he said it's fine. I am feeding her 100gr chicken and 200g rice 30gr carrots, 20grams cheese, egg and a few garlic for taste, however she didn't eat anything today.

A few garlic? Garlic is toxic to dogs.

Sorry to hijack this - Blackdevil, with best wishes for your girl.

CLW1 - yes, garlic is toxic to dogs in large quantities. So is water.

I've given my dogs fresh garlic on occasion, and Springtime garlic chews for a month or so when we were headed to tick/flea country (thankfully, we don't have them where we live!). Many people believe that garlic has "magic" healing properties - and it well may. I don't use it often, and certainly not in large amounts. But a little in food sometimes helps dogs who aren't eating to do so. And will not kill them.

Thanks for reading.

diane

Indeed Diane, my family had mixed hunting dogs for years, they always fed them garlic with their food for taste and for their properties without referring to pills, most of them 16+ years when died and their diet wasn't so good either . Anyways, I did my routine maintenance of deworming and then all of a sudden mine dog bloated.

I know problem was there but vets, always told me, it could be from her nature/bloodline that she is small, who could have guessed it was a liver shunt. Mine bc still seems like a puppy at 26 months and from 11kg she is 13.8kg with all that toxic fluid. I hope everything turns at least close to normal. Most people if in my case suggested me to put her down which by the way really infuriated me, unless she is suffering (which isn't but is weak mostly because she isn't eating) I would never consider that as an option. I wish to thank you all for your comments, I deeply appreciate your thoughts during this hard time. I can't wait till I will be able to spend some time in the countryside with her hiking for a breath taking scenario.