BC Boards

Donate to help save a shelter dog

Hate to be the wet blanket, but if you don´t have the cash to buy this dog (how expensive can a dog from a kill shelter be?), then how do you plan to finance keeping this dog?

Or do you have a next fundraising campaign planned for the costs of feeding, housing, veterinary care etc?

I don´t really see why someone else should pay for your pet.

I am sorry but I have to agree with Smalahundur. Pets are expensive. You need to have the financial means to take care of them for their whole life. Please think about volunteering for a pet organization since you don't seem to have the financial means to take care of a pet.

Nooooooo, we can take care of another dog, we already have one and a rabbit :) I just wanted to try and raise money for buying the dog, and maybe if I could buy it myself, my parents would be more likely to say yes to letting me get another. We have enough money to pay for vet bills and stuff. I just wanted to buy the dog myself. My parents could adopt one for me, but I was going to be nice and say "if I pay to adopt the dog, could we get it" my parents would pay for the vet bills.

Perhaps you should wait for the 'yes' from your parents before you raise funds.

Look at it this way- when someone could raise money to get a rescue to go get dogs, which will rehome that dog and then help others, why would they donate to someone buying a dog for themselves? It's an inefficient way to help one dog, when there are more efficient ways to help many.

What about if your parents say 'no'- will you give back the money? If there is more than you need to just adopt it, will you give back the money? How are you going to find who to give it back to? What if that particular dog is no longer available? What about if the dog isn't a match for you and you have to rehome it? How are you going to find people to give the money back in any of these situations? Remember, if people give you money for a particular purpose, to save this dog, and then you use it for something else, or don't fill that purpose- that is essentially fraud. You have taken money from others under false pretences, and gained from it.

Do you have any means of showing where the money is going? How do people know you are who you say you are and will use the money for what you claim you will?

Have you thought of a yard sale? Is there anything you could make or do yourself that you can sell to others? Could you braid bracelets, mow lawns, walk dogs, tutor others, get babysitting work? I know all of those things can be tough to find, but it's worth a shot. Certainly it would do a lot more to show your dedication to your parents than just setting up a webpage begging for funds.

I admire your desire to help a shelter dog but I do agree with what the others have posted. Perhaps you could go to your parents and ask if there was a way to earn the money since they would have the money for upkeep? Extra chores around the house maybe? I would think that parents would be more apt to say yes if they saw you volunteering to take on more responsibility. Think of it this way - would you really be buying the dog yourself if a bunch of stangers provide the money?

Well, that actually said yes I could get another dog if I do my chores and stuff like that. And I figured people wouldn't want to donate cause they don't know who I am and stuff. I am trying to sell stuff at my house to raise money. I'm actually raising money for a awesome no kill shelter at my city. I've raised about $60 so far :) But yeah, in see what you all are saying :)

This actually isn't a bad place to advertise your shelter project instead of money for another dog for you. A lot of people on here have rescues and/or volunteer for various rescue groups! Why don't you tell us more about the volunteer work you've done and why you love it so much and you might (no promises) be surprised to find some unexpected additions to that fund!

What a worthy cause for a teenager to support! Good job!