BC Boards

Crate training the reluctant puppy

I have always crate trained my dogs but have never had a night quite like last night. I added a third puppy to my pack yesterday. I have Scout who is 2 and Lucy who is 8 months. My new girl is 8 weeks. She went into the crate at 10pm and my alarm was set for 1am to get up and take her out. Although my other two don't always sleep in their crates anymore, we put them in them last night and they were all in the same room. We thought that would make her more comfortable. Everyone went to bed and turned their fans on. She was still crying at 1am. My husband never fell asleep so he said he would go down to let her out to potty. I fell back asleep with my alarm set to 4. Woke up and realized he never came back. He took all three dogs out and slept on the couch with them. He said the new baby snuggled up to Scout and instantly fell asleep. So now she has learned that if she cries long enough someone will come snuggle up with her. Sigh. Neither of my other two had that much stamina. They would cry for a few minutes then give up. I plan on working with her today on the crate not being a bad place....any other suggestions? She's just little so i really don't want to leave stuffed kongs at night....

post-14617-0-34779800-1423915773_thumb.jpg

Ha, well for an 8 week old pup, she is an excellent trainer :) I'd go slow with training during the day, get her accustom to being restrained in her kennel while you are around. Maybe move her crate in next to your bed at night. I slept with my hand dangling off the bed for a few nights when Timber was first crated alone (also a good human trainer), he'd fall asleep smushed against my hand, but after a few nights he would hurl himself in there and crash at the back.

Btw, she is adorable!

I think my 3 dogs enjoy sleeping in our bedroom. The 2 oldest are loose, and the 11 month old is still in his crate (which he is fine with). I think that your baby may be more comfortable if she knew you were close by (i.e. when crated in your bedroom.). You can transition her later to a downstairs room if you wish. I like the idea of a water bottle, but I would wonder if the pup would chew it or the towel it is wrapped in.

Thanks for the suggestions... I'm going to move a crate into our room tonight. My husband is a light sleeper and works a couple 12 hour days.....we only have a queen size bed so we usually take turns with the two older dogs sleeping with us. If I could convince one or both of them to sleep in their dog beds on the floor it would be easier. Our room isn't big enough for three crates........

So I think there may be some separation anxiety going on..... Last night I put her in her crate. Went upstairs and after listening to the crying, went down to check on her. My other two dogs were crated in the same room with her and the night before were really stressed out from the crying. I took her out and she was covered in drool. She drooled on the way home after picking her up so I'm pretty sure it's a stress response. I took her out to potty and then brought her upstairs with me(terrible choice I know but I was so tired and my husband had to get up to work this morning) I waited until she was calm then tried to put her in the crate by my bed. You would have thought I shot her. Instantly crying. So I brought her back up with me. Unfortunately my house isn't big enough to put her someplace where we won't hear her. Today I'm going to work on having her in the crate several time throughout the day but with me in the room and try to maybe walk out for a few min once in a while. I understand that it will take some time....does anyone have any suggestions for night time while I work this out? I don't mind leaving a puppy who is just unhappy cry it out but I am a little worried about the drooling and panting....I don't want to make a situation worse.

I know I'm not in the majority here by any means, but I'd just pick her up and put her in bed with me. I've done it before and worked on crate training during the day. It calmed the lonely puppy who just snuggled in and went to sleep. For me, at least, it didn't have any negative repercussions. YMMV

We crated Callie in our bedroom right away at night. We completely ignored her with the exception of a stern "go to sleep" if she cried for a long time. After two torturous nights, she figured it out and slept through the whole night.

She did need potty breaks for a few weeks after we got her (at 8 weeks old), but we just did those every couple of hours and went back to "sleep". We did silent potty breaks - so one of us would pick her up from the crate, leash her, and go outside without talking to her at all (exception was a "good girl" for going outside) and returned her to the crate with only a "go to sleep". She learned pretty quick that we weren't going to interact at night and she was supposed to be quiet too!

At 10 months old, Callie goes into her crate and lays down if we say "Go to sleep" and will sleep in the open crate on her own most nights (when she's not under the cold window). She loves it and it's her secure, cozy spot. She also never bothers us at night and only jumps up on the bed in the morning when an alarm goes off or we start talking to each other or her.

I will get the xpen out today and try that. Im ok with the not sleeping(hubby has been good so far but he does have to work 12 hrs today-ouch). I've just had dogs probably the past 20 years and have never encountered this particular challenge. My others have protested then quieted down until their 1am potty break. Then back in-not interaction like mentioned above) until 4am. After a few weeks I move to a 3-4am potty break and keep it there until they can hold it longer. She clearly wasn't paying attention on the way home when I explained the program. Lol. I may just have to set up a bed downstairs for a week or two so hubby can sleep. She is just 8weeks old.....I'm home most of the time-I'm taking a class 2x a week so she will be crated and alone for about 2 1/2 hrs starting Thursday. Luckily my neighbors work. It has been pretty upsetting to my other two...not sure what I can do about that.

Success! I made up a bed for me on the couch....she played with the other two pretty hard from about 10-11pm then put everyone to bed. I put her crate right next to me on the couch. Put my hand inside for a min and she passed out cold. One whine...woke up at 3:30 and took her out to potty..back to sleep until 6:30. Whoo hoo!

Congratulations! That is the method I have used to crate train. It seems comforting for them to know that you are nearby even if it's just a hand near their cage. After a few weeks of them being right next to my bed I start slowly moving them away until the crate is where I want it.