BC Boards

Adopting a Mix Puppy, Have Questions

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and had a few questions. I'm going to pick up my puppy Friday and was wondering what you all thought about his looks as a puppy. I'm more or less just looking to see if people can tell is he is mixed with Aussie and collie? Does he look more like a collie or a aussie puppy? whether he is going to be a smooth coat or rough or medium? He is 8 weeks old Thank you!

post-17318-0-65543700-1422516631_thumb.jpg

post-17318-0-27029100-1422516636_thumb.jpg

At this stage he looks like he's going to grow into a rough coated BC. I don't see any obvious mix but puppies as they grow can change a lot from what was expected.

Is there a particular reason why the rescue think he is a mix or do you think they are just covering their backs?

Well done for adopting a pup and enjoy the ride, or at least grit your teeth and bear it. It will be worth it in the long run.

Maybe an Aussie or cattle dog mix... Honestly at that age they can change so much. Lyka looked like a lab puppy, short coat and all, with weird markings until 6 months old. If I didn't know her mom was a border collie I would have been in for a shock. It's so hard to tell with puppies.

As your puppy grows up, you'll see him change sooooo much! And once you compare pictures even 3 months apart, you'll be amazed at how fast the changes happen. The breed becomes a lot more evident as the dog grows into some of the common traits, although your little guy already looks like a BC mix!

I personally think that Aussies and BCs look so alike. Callie's best buddy is a pure Aussie and if it's dark out, their shapes and sizes are identical. Only the coloring is different because the Aussie has brown in there, but I've heard BCs get brown too? (Check out some of the threads on coloring and markings - they're fascinating because a lot of the really experienced BC owners go into which markings are more dominant and recessive and which it's possible to see in specific mixes...and the pictures are adorable).

What are you going to name him?!

P.S. - If you want, you can do a DNA test to see what he really is. You can do a blood test to go back several generations, but most vets will tell you wait until the puppy is bigger so they can draw a full vial of blood without taxing his strength. You can also do a cheek swab, which is less expensive and just as accurate for figuring out what your dog is, but doesn't give you super accurate genetics beyond the parents' breeds.

Congratulations on your new pup! I agree with others that time will tell as to what breed or mix of dog you have. Both physical appearance and behavior patterns will be more distinct as he ages.

P.S. - If you want, you can do a DNA test to see what he really is. You can do a blood test to go back several generations, but most vets will tell you wait until the puppy is bigger so they can draw a full vial of blood without taxing his strength. You can also do a cheek swab, which is less expensive and just as accurate for figuring out what your dog is, but doesn't give you super accurate genetics beyond the parents' breeds.

IMHO, DNA tests are not as accurate as marketed - although they have improved and continue to improve. Better to spend your money on really great toys for your pup! :)

As others have said, he could be full border collie or some sort of mix. If you don't know anything about the parents you won't know until he's at least about 9 months old and even then you may not be able to be certain.

But he's definitely cute and looks like the 2 of you will be great friends, no matter what he ends up being.

What are you going to name him?!

Thanks everyone! I will definitively post pictures of him Friday when I pick him up.

And I never knew about the DNA test, but I won't worry about it too much right now.

Also his name is going to be Zeke

Looks the spitting image of a friend's pup at that age and she's all BC and rough coated and with pricked ears.

She started out as a huge pup but now at 8 months she not very big at all. I would have laid odds on her ending up a giant.

Looks the spitting image of a friend's pup at that age and she's all BC and rough coated and with pricked ears.

She started out as a huge pup but now at 8 months she not very big at all. I would have laid odds on her ending up a giant.

Ah okay, I guess I just have to wait to see when he get's a bit older. Was hoping to anticipate what his coat would be so I could buy the right grooming tools now. But I just bought a slicker brush for now.