BC Boards

Oblivious to moving vehicles

Dixie certainly doesn't try to chase moving vehicles. She doesn't seem to know that they exist. Which can be scary on a walk, when she tries to step in front of one to see a cat or a squirrel.

She loves to examine stopped trucks of any size (but the bigger, the better) and the yardwork trailers - and even the yardwork machinery. The guys who work around here know her and welcome her on her investigations.

But she doesn't seem to know that a moving vehicle exists.

She's ~3 year old. We've had her for ~2 years.

We always have her on leash. But what can we do to teach her that vehicles move and can be dangerous?

Her hearing COULD be bad, however, all three of my dogs act the exact same as you describe yours to be and I know for certain they have nothing wrong with their hearing. It bugs me sooo much especially because we live on a busy farm and they just don't care! They aren't loose without supervision though, so I am able to keep them out of the way.

Riika, that's exactly it! Dixie can hear a cat teat hit the floor rooms away - and knows exactly where. Of course, she's totally deaf when I try to stop her hauling me (other end of the leash) after a squirrel.