BC Boards

Running Multiple Dogs

I'm a complete newbie to agility, and I was wondering if running two dogs (obviously not at the same time) in agility is realistic for a newbie?

Both of my dogs have taken to agility like a fish to water and I am having trouble deciding which I want to run and compete with. I would love to run both of them to be honest, but I don't want to have two mediocre competitors simply because I am not just focusing on one dog.

Am I worrying for nothing or should I just pick one dog to compete with until that dog is at the top of their game?

IMHO, if you have the time, energy, money (for double entry fees), and organization skills to run 2 dogs - go for it.

Will your dogs be in the same, or different, height classes? Since you are a newbie, running 2 dogs might be easier if they are in 2 different height classes, but I know plenty of people who run 2, or 3, dogs in the same height class with little problem. Sometimes they have to ask that one of their dogs be moved in the running order so that they have time between runs to get their other dog, but that is never a problem that I have seen (i.e. the gate steward is always accomodating).

".....Am I worrying for nothing or should I just pick one dog to compete with until that dog is at the top of their game?"

Umm, Err, giggle. I was a newbie 5 years ago, and sometimes I feel like I still am. :P I find that the more I know, the more I realize what I don't know (and how much more my dog needs additional training on certain skills). I think that if you wait for one dog to be "at the top of their game", the other dog will play very little agility. Of course, you will probably catch on faster than I did, and by working 2 dogs, that may also speed things up.

Welcome to agility - wonderfully fun and addicting and challenging (you will never stop learning)

Personally, I am always a heck of a lot happier when I am only running one dog. I started with one, then started running a second, went back to one for a while, went back to two, and now and back to one, with the prospect of adding a different second dog in the future.

When I was running two, I always tried - when possible - to split them into different levels (obviously, I could only do that when it was an option). The second time around with two, Dean was in vets, so at least he and Tessa did run in different height classes.

If you are inclined to try diving in with two, there is no harm in it. If you do end up finding it overwhelming, you could always try running just one of them for a while (you could trade off events or something) and see how that goes. You will find what works for you, and you can always switch it up. My choice, if I were starting two at once, might be to start one, get through a level, and then add the second one in so they are split between levels.

But . . . whatever works!!

I would take lessons with both, but trial with the older dog only for at least 6 months or a year, bringing the younger one to hang out and get used to the environment. That way you don't have two dogs competing in starters at the same time, and can get used to the flow of the trial.

Why not just enter one one day and one the other day? Most trials are multiple days.

I used to run both my papillons. Now I'm down to no trialling dogs. Personally, I am in agility for the fun so if I have a dog that can run, I'm running them! I wouldn't want one of my dogs to miss out. It may mean we never get to the 'top' levels but I'd rather play with all my dogs.

I have only ran 2 dogs for a couple of trials but I know starting out I had no idea what was going on. My advice would be to enter the dog who is most comfortable and advanced in the sport when your first trial comes up, enjoy the day and then decide to see if you want to run both. I don't see any reason why you shouldn't, but that first one when you are finding your way only running one might make the day less stressful.

I technically will be running two dogs eventually but I have one dog who is ready to compete NOW (I'm procrastinating because I'm scared) and one who will start in Foundations tonight - they're 2 years apart in age, and very different height classes (8" versus probably 20"). I also have a husband to goes to very dog event ever with me.

Two dogs in the same class (height or learning) would be too much for me, but I have no issue with this.

I mean I doubt either one's ever going to be stunning or highly competitive, and I'm never going to do more than a handful of trials a year, but it's fine. I DO think I'd be inclined to focus hard on one if I had high aspirations, but I don't. My goal is more like 'maybe a title or two?' than 'worlds!'

I technically will be running two dogs eventually but I have one dog who is ready to compete NOW (I'm procrastinating because I'm scared)

Stop that right now!!! You have to take the plunge and try it at some point if you want to do this.

First trial can be a bit of a trial by fire, but if it is, you will come out knowing exactly what to do to make it better the next time. And people are ridiculously helpful if you let them know you are a first timer.

And . . . even with a lot of experience now, every time I start with a new dog I am nervous because I not with the dog I am used to and I'm not quite sure how it's going to go!!

So . . . get out there!!

Yeah. We have a trial that our club is hosting end of April and another end of May. I'm entering both trials. I may throw up, but we're way past due for it. Meanwhile I've got some private lessons and club wide practices and show 'n' goes in the run up. It's pretty much now or never, and I'm going now.

And hey. I've watched enough agility flub-ups on youtube to know that nothing we do will be all that unique :P

Here. I'm only putting this out there so you can see that no matter what happens when you trial for the first time, it probably won't be as bad as this . . . .

I walked away from this thinking I was most likely never going to do it again!!!

Glad I kept going (at our next trial, Maddie and I got our first two Q's and at the next trial after that, our first title!)

Seven years later, two dogs after Maddie . . . Tessa is no speed demon, but now it looks like Agility!!

My last Standard run (partial):

My last Wildcard:

And my last Jumpers:

Had to go through that horrible first time to get where Tessa and I are now. I never forget that Maddie helped get us here!! Dean, too! :)

Now I look back on that first time with a healthy sense of humor.

Watching some of those now and it actually is a good reminder - and kind of fun.

My biggest nerves aren't about what happens in the ring but about me flubbing up outside it with all the little things I don't know I don't know. Where do I drop my leash? How do I know it's my turn? Where do line ups happen? Just... little stuff like that. I am about 95% sure if I can make it through ONE TRIAL I'll figure out enough to start at least worrying about the dog.

If your club is hosting, I take it you know people who will be there? Best thing to do is let someone know it is your first time and they will likely show you the ropes.

There are a lot of little things that you won't know, but - at least in the venues I participate in - people are always more than happy to help someone who hasn't trialed before. I have often explained CPE games to people sitting around me who haven't played before, and even stopped during walk through to help people who were lost. I can't say everyone is friendly and helpful, but I've found that most people are.

I think it's useful to go to a trial without a dog and volunteer in the three 'easy' jobs for at least one class each: leash runner (so you get a very strong sense of where people are dropping their leash and picking it up), scribe runner (easy job where you can mostly sit back and observe), and ring crew (so you can watch all the dogs run from the best seat in the house).

I think it's useful to go to a trial without a dog and volunteer in the three 'easy' jobs for at least one class each: leash runner (so you get a very strong sense of where people are dropping their leash and picking it up), scribe runner (easy job where you can mostly sit back and observe), and ring crew (so you can watch all the dogs run from the best seat in the house).

I agree with this. Just a note of warning: when you are ring crew, don't get so involved in watching the dog run that you forget to pick up a dropped pole - not that 'I' would ever do that.

Oh, yeah. The first trial is 3 days. We get free practice sessions for helping/volunteering, so I'll definitely be doing that. No real intention of entering Kylie for the first day, maybe even the first two.

I don't think anyone there is going to give me any gruff. I've done fun matches/show 'n' goes with his group of people and they're all a nice group. I just need to get a feel for what I'm doing a little. Some of that will come from working it, and even more I suspect will come from DOING it. I don't think any of them are likely to let me fall too flat on my face, though. I mean metaphorically. Literally, I fall on my face they'll all laugh at me (good naturedly).

It is great advice, but not one I followed as it was a good drive to a trial, so I just dove in, everyone was great, welcoming and so helpful, a week later at the next trial I was welcomed back with open arms.

At my club we have been talking about putting a before and after video for our newcomers to give them hope, I have shown my first trial video to loads of people here and it gets loads of giggles and really makes people realize they can do it too. Plus it makes me realize how far I have come, as I often feel we have huge holes in our abilities.