BC Boards

Getting through the low points

I think it is important - when raising any dog, but especially with a Border Collie - to just take it for granted that mistakes are going to be made.

I made a stupid mistake with Bandit. I went outside with him every time to make sure he eliminated. The way our deck is situated, you can't see the dogs in the dog yard if they are right up against the deck, so I just went right out with him every time he went out. I did this in May, June, July, August, September, October. Yeah. Then it started to get cold. And guess what? If I didn't go out with him, he would go out, turn toward the front door, sit really nicely and just wait for me. And he waits, and he waits, and he waits, and he waits . . . I will sit on the sofa inside and watch him from the window and it amazes me how much focus and drive he has to wait at that door.

Now I have a very determined young Border Collie who has it in his head that if I am not outside with him, he should not go down off the deck himself to ease nature.

My fault. We are working on changing it, and I've had a little success, but when push comes to shove and I have 5 minutes in the morning before I leave him in the crate while I'm at work, I have to just bite the bullet, and go out with him. I can only wait him out when I have the luxury of time.

In the grand scheme of things, I laugh at it. So now I get to spend an awful lot of time out in the fresh air. I've learned some things, being out there at 11:00 at night, that I haven't known in all my years of owning dogs. I think Dean is still confused by the fact that I go out there with them so much, but it hasn't entirely been a bad thing.

I've done a lot right and, for the most part, I love who he is turning out to be. But I knew going in I would mess some things up.

I think it's pretty much inevitable. Honestly, I'm finding dealing with the ramifications of my own mistakes a little easier to deal with than having to handle things that someone else caused. At least I pretty much know what I did, or didn't do.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is important - when raising any dog, but especially with a Border Collie - to just take it for granted that mistakes are going to be made.

I made a stupid mistake with Bandit. I went outside with him every time to make sure he eliminated. The way our deck is situated, you can't see the dogs in the dog yard if they are right up against the deck, so I just went right out with him every time he went out. I did this in May, June, July, August, September, October. Yeah. Then it started to get cold. And guess what? If I didn't go out with him, he would go out, turn toward the front door, sit really nicely and just wait for me. And he waits, and he waits, and he waits, and he waits . . . I will sit on the sofa inside and watch him from the window and it amazes me how much focus and drive he has to wait at that door.

Now I have a very determined young Border Collie who has it in his head that if I am not outside with him, he should not go down off the deck himself to ease nature.

My fault. We are working on changing it, and I've had a little success, but when push comes to shove and I have 5 minutes in the morning before I leave him in the crate while I'm at work, I have to just bite the bullet, and go out with him. I can only wait him out when I have the luxury of time.

In the grand scheme of things, I laugh at it. So now I get to spend an awful lot of time out in the fresh air. I've learned some things, being out there at 11:00 at night, that I haven't known in all my years of owning dogs. I think Dean is still confused by the fact that I go out there with them so much, but it hasn't entirely been a bad thing.

I've done a lot right and, for the most part, I love who he is turning out to be. But I knew going in I would mess some things up.

I think it's pretty much inevitable. Honestly, I'm finding dealing with the ramifications of my own mistakes a little easier to deal with than having to handle things that someone else caused. At least I pretty much know what I did, or didn't do.

Root beer, I was very very close to having this problem with mine too, but somewhere along the line she just felt like she could do it on her own, so I think I lucked out there. But there's probably five things I don't want her doing for every one time I lucked out. I love her all the same. The nice thing, and the thoughts that keep me sane are than she's perfectly house trained, won't touch a SINGLE thing that isn't hers, she's great with people including babies and is a generally happy dog.

I need to make a sweater than she can wear that has the words "Don't forget, I could be chewing your house to pieces right now." stitched on it. =)