BC Boards

winter foot care advice

The last few weeks have been very cold and snowy here. After every walk I have been cleaning Juno's feet with a warm wet towel to remove any frozen ice or salt. I was wondering if anyone uses a balm or ointment on the feet, or if it is even needed?

Thanks

Bill

I try to leave feet alone as much as I can, I like strong hard pads. But with the extreme cold and snow I noticed Keeper's feet were starting to crack, so I started putting coconut oil on his pads. It has worked wonders! But I try not to overdo it, I don't want the feet to start getting soft. He needs to keep that tread strong!

Coconut oil is the love of my life. It also works wonders on middle-of-winter dander and dry skin.

Musher's Secret is great for helping dogs avoid snowball buildup in their paws. Get a jar and just rub it into each paw, including the fur between toes, before going on walks. It definitely helps their feet shed snow and might help with salty cling.

It's not super greasy, either, so if you rub it in well, it doesn't make big greasy spots on the floor.

~ Gloria

I found these booties that are great..they are called Pawz. I bought them at Petco. The ice melt was burning her feet. They aren't like the cloth shoes..those she would take off in 30 seconds. They are a reusable/washable plastic that forms to the shape of their paw. Before I got them I did what you did after walks..used a warm washcloth to clean each paw. I know they sell a special tupe of wax-balm as well.