BC Boards

Information on Lock-Eye Border Collies?

Thanks for taking the time to review my board.

I am in the very early stages of starting my own breeding program. I have researched border collies extensively and have looked at multiple breeders from mainly herding lines. I have researched some from performance lines and I have come across Lock-Eye Border Collies on a few of the pedigrees.

Does anyone have experience with this breeder? I contacted her asking what sports/activities she did with her current breeding stock and have had no response. In my opinion in order to better the border collie it is important to WORK that dog. She seems to breed for color instead of ability and she breeds large amounts of dogs. I've also noticed that when I contacted her she has a waiting list arranged by 'color' people want versus what traits/goals they want to accomplish with the dog.

Just curious on the feedback, good and bad.

Thank you in advance for your time.

The people here will only support responsible breeding practices which preserve the border collie as a working dog. That means that the dogs come from proven working stock, not just "working lines" as you'll read in the link posted above. So no, the breeder you posted about would not be considered quality by any stretch of the imagination. Be aware that as a potential breeder yourself that you may encounter some harsh feedback, unless of course you're breeding working dogs. It sounds like you have a good start on your research, keep working. You'll never run out of things to learn. Breeding is not something ever to be taken lightly!

HighImpact - You've answered your own question. Steer clear whatever your reason for wanting a dog.

Just curious, what do you hope to achieve in your breeding programme and what experience do you have? People here can give you plenty of good advice about how to extend your knowledge of the working collie.

HighImpact - You've answered your own question. Steer clear whatever your reason for wanting a dog.

Just curious, what do you hope to achieve in your breeding programme and what experience do you have? People here can give you plenty of good advice about how to extend your knowledge of the working collie.

I want to better the breed, as should be the goal of any person considering breeding. I say I'm interested in starting my own prgram but that doesn't mean I will ever do so- it takes a ton of responsibility to produce healthy, sound puppies and there are many breeders that continue to breed a dog that has Early Onset Adult Deafness, dogs that have had seizures, dogs that have dysplastic hips.

It's important to me for the dogs I compete with come from herding lines and it is important that the owners of these dogs are trialing actively with them. Even though a person states the dog has the ability doesn't mean it is the best worker.