BC Boards

ABCA Registration

When I got my girl, I had to wait until all the litter was sold and then the breeder sent in the papers. Which by that time I had, had her for over a month or two. A friend is going thru the same thing now. She has had her pup since late Oct and still doesn't have them.

This seems to be standard procedure with Border Collies. Can anyone tell me why that is?

When I raised AKC Cockers many many moons ago, I registered the litter with sex and color within a few weeks of birth. Then when I sold a pup I already had the papers and just gave them to the new owner. My part was already filled out. They didn't have to wait.

Maybe it's so that the new owner gets to choose the name rather than being lumbered with something outlandish chosen by the breeder?

Probably not the only reason. Mine was the first to go and I waited 3 months for the registration details.

I was asked what I wanted to call mine and the only problem with waiting for his ISDS registration was that strictly he shouldn't have been taken to KC shows unless I had at least submitted an application for registration which I couldn't do until I had the ISDS registration certificate.

When I did the cockers the new owner still picked out the name. All I had done was fill out the breeder portion ( Sire, Dam,color, date of birth ) that stuff. But they got the papers so much sooner not waiting.

Was just wondering why you have to wait so long.

With having to wait on papers if you wanted to do any DNA testing you have to have a registration number so that would put that off.

I believe that AKC has a different process, they have a litter application and then the buyer sends in for the papers by sending in the application, with ABCA there is only one step, all pups have to be registered by the breeder, no applications given to the buyers.

I am one that waits until pups are sold and also sometimes a bit longer to see if the pups we are keeping back for one reason or another warrant registration. Typically I have it done by the time they are 6 months old, but had one litter that I held off a little longer on. When I registered the pups they will be in the new owners name with the name they picked for the pup provided they have gotten it to me.

By having the names of all the buyers at time of litter registration, I don't have to worry about if the owner transfers the papers out of our name nor will I get calls a year later asking for help to have papers reissued due to the owner losing them. I had one litter that I registered early, 7 pups, 6 were sold. All were registered in our name with us signing the transfer, I have had to request duplicate papers for three of them so far, the owners lost the papers before they sent them in to be transferred.

When I sell a pup I let the buyers know up front that papers will be issued at a later date and why I do it that way.

Hello everyone,

As someone who recently produced a litter, I am very pleased with the registration service of the ABCA. I feel that the registrar is doing an outstanding job processing the paperwork, and I received my litter's registrations in less than two weeks from the date I mailed them to the ABCA.
The ABCA application is for the litter, and I found it to be prudent to wait until the puppies were sold and the new owners had selected a name for their puppy before completing the application. The new registrations were returned to me with the purchaser listed as the owner and the puppy registered with the name they had chosen, and I then mailed the registrations to the purchasers. The new owners received their puppy's registration with no need for them to do anything further and by the time the puppies were thirteen weeks old.
In my opinion, this is the most expedient method of registering a litter of puppies.
Regards to all,
nancy

I had my ABCA papers by the time my pup was around 4 months old. I was the last to pick up and name so I think the breeder sent them in when the pups were 11-12 weeks old. It was simple for me - all I had to do was wait to get them in the mail - and I thought the turn around time was reasonable.

... the only problem with waiting for his ISDS registration was that strictly he shouldn't have been taken to KC shows unless I had at least submitted an application for registration which I couldn't do until I had the ISDS registration certificate.

What does this bit mean? You can't have a puppy at a KC show unless he is in the process of being registered with the KC? That seems a bit odd, since I thought that mixed breeds could compete at UK KC shows in performance events like agility, but maybe I got that bit wrong.

What does this bit mean? You can't have a puppy at a KC show unless he is in the process of being registered with the KC? That seems a bit odd, since I thought that mixed breeds could compete at UK KC shows in performance events like agility, but maybe I got that bit wrong.

Unless you are a member of the public who has wandered in with their dog to spectate, all dogs attending a KC show must be registered with the KC whether competing or not. For a dog not competing being in the process of registration is sufficient.

There are two KC registers, breed and activity. Pedigree dogs with KC papers will be on the breed register, non papered pure breeds and crossbreeds go on the activity register. There is no difference between the two registers when it comes to competition (except for field trials). The only reason the breed register might be preferred for agility is if someone had ambitions to qualify for the FCI world champs which are pedigree only.

My pup is ISDS registered and I could have registered him either on the breed or activity register but most people in that situation go for the breed register so I just went with the flow. I'm not going to breed from him and wouldn't support a pedigree only competition. Maybe I should enter him in a conformation show for a laugh. It would give the barbie collie owners apoplexy. Having him on the KC breed register is as much of a joke as my spayed mongrel bitch being in the KC stud book as a result of her success in champ classes.