BC Boards

Sick border collie/auss mix.

TheCuriousOne

So last night I took in 3 border collies, and a young auss/BC mix.
The puppy seems to be sick, owner had treated him at home for what she believed to be giardia? And it seems he still has it now.
I have talked to owner over phone and she has given the clear to take him to vet.
What concerns me is the dog is heartworm positive, and the treatment would be a dewormer that would interfere with heartworm issues. Yet the vet still wants to go with the treatment?

Im waiting for another vets opinion, who can't see dog until Monday morning.
The dog is resting in his soft crate. Clean water, food, a little bit of attention in the day. No extreme exercise.
I do not want to be having a dog being treated for heartworm in my care. And honestly if this all could wait until Wednesday when owner comes to pick dogs up. I am up the creek with this one.
Should I be brining the rest of her dogs in for a vet check also? I am keeping all other dogs away from the Connor boys (the border collies that came with the sick aussie mix) and all places they have eliminated have been off property as of this morning.

Giardia is normally treated with metronidazole (an antibiotic) and fenbendazole (panacur or safeguard, a anthelmintic). Fenbendazole is labelled as safe for heartworm-positive dogs but some individuals do apparently claim it kills heartworm. Be careful with an animal that is ill from giardia as it is easily transmitted to other animals and people through feces, contaminated water, and close contact with contaminated surfaces.

I would certainly want to see a puppy that is ill with giardia given care as soon as possible - giardia can cause damage to the intestines.

Quarantine, as you appear to be doing, is a very wise decision. You will probably want to disinfect the crate, etc., where the sick puppy has been kept before any of your family/pets have access to them again. Healthy, adult animals may have low levels of giardia that do no harm but young, elderly, or compromised animals are vulnerable to becoming ill and/or suffering damage from giardia.

It's not your fault the pup is ill. I think it would make sense to keep her away from the other dogs, at least until you get advice from a vet to do otherwise.

The owner told you you could take the pup to the vet (her regular vet?). It would make sense to follow the vet's advice.

Your concern is understandable, and it is the weekend, which makes getting care more difficult. You did take her to the vet, right? Did the vet supply meds and tell you how to administer them? If so, I would think your best option is to follow the vet's advice. To do nothing Will not improve her situation.

No. I talked to dog's vet over phone. Vet did not seem to recognize that that the dog is not in owners care. Hell maybe he didn't care. I don't know. Feels like going forward with heartworm meds right now is whats gunna be done if I just take the pup in to that vet.
I called up my vet who listens and listens good. He will be seeing dog Monday, and might be having a chat with the dogs regular vet. Maybe get some sort of treatment for giardia that don't bother the heartworms. And the heartworms can wait til owners back.
Heartworm treatment can and has killed many dogs I personally know. Real bad.
I am not up for having a vet that don't listen treat a dog with medication some say will effect its heartworms. And having it die in my care.
See the heartworm meds require a dog to be on the down low for a bit... No stress.
Maybe google it cuz a lot to it. More than I can type now.
I am keeping the dog hydrated and keepin an eye out. Dog is clearly sick, but looking ok.

What wormer did they want you to use? Like Sue said, I've never heard/read anything that indicates that fenbenzadole or metronizadole kills heartworms besides a few internet opinions. Everything I've read says that it is safe for HW positive dogs.

But honestly, this is a vet question and it seems the vet who has seen the dog is comfortable with the treatment so no one here is going to be qualified to offer any better advice than that. I think your choices are go with that or wait until you have a second opinion on Monday.

I will say that the only time when I would do anything different than what a veterinarian recommended in a case like this is if I read an actual scientific study pointing out potential harm or if in IME another vet had recommended against it in the past. And then I would be seeking more information and a second opinion.

Curious One - Could you clarify the set up under which you are caring for these dogs?

Do you own a boarding kennels or are you dog sitting in your own home? You said elsewhere that you do a few days a week kennel work so maybe you are an employee.

I ask because your responsibility and potential liability would be different depending on your status.

Are owners not required to sign a contract authorising all necessary vet treatment and providing an indemnity for you or your employers? Presumably there is insurance in place?

Is the business licensed? If so do the terms of the licence say anything about such a situation?

You are of the opinion that the puppy is sick. If that is the case and it was my pup I would expect you to get it seen by a vet, preferably my own, and follow instructions. My vet is my choice, not yours. Would the owner pay for a second opinion because you don't trust their own vet's advice?

I can't comment on heartworm because it isn't a real problem here and I've never known a dog with it but others have given you good advice.

I'm a pet sitter and I would get the dog to the vet and then let the vet talk to the owner and the two of them decide what to do.

If an animal is very sick I have them leave it at the vet. I get out of it. I'm not qualified to make any kind of diagnosis unless it's something really straightforward and simple. I never want to take the chance of guessing wrong and causing harm to the animal.