BC Boards

Multi-male households: How's it work for you?

We've had multiple males and multiple females--we recently went from 6 males (3 intact) and 2 females to now 5 males (2 just neutered, 1 intact) and 3 females (2 intact). They all live in the house and can be loose in the house together if we let them (we aren't always interested in having them all out at the same time). They share the dog yard but most of them are crated when we aren't home--too much potential for mischief otherwise.

I'll echo what others said that it really depends on the dog. We had a female in to try who didn't get along with the other females in the house. She went back where we got her. We had two males (both neutered) for several years who couldn't ever be loose together their hatred of one another was so great. We eventually rehomed one of them.

Everyone in our current pack gets along fine--and that includes dogs brought in as adults as well as those raised as pups in the pack. One of our dogs has proximity issues that require management but as long as he is not feeling hemmed in, he gets on fine with everyone. If hemmed in, he is an equal opportunity lasher outer.

What we've done since we decided we wouldn't live with dogs who fought is be agreed that any new dog who comes in who doesn't get along will be rehomed--pups and adults alike. Being clear with ourselves about that has made it easier to make our expectations of the dogs and their relationships clearer as well. So, you have to decide what you're willing to do if things don't work out and if you're willing to try anyway, then take the gamble.

I think it's been easier to integrate puppies than adult dogs in general, though the most recent adult we brought in was extremely easy--she has that kind of personality.

Just wanted to respond about the older dog picking a puppy:

Gabe adored puppy Rob while he still lived at the breeder's. But then Gabe said very clearly from the time Robert moved in here "this is MY house and MY females." So far, I've not had problems because there is a big natural distinction in their statuses.

Thanks, all, for your responses. It's been interesting to hear the various stories. Bottom line, it really does depend on the dogs involved.

I do think we've been super lucky to have had only one dog personality problem - Nick and my old Jesse - in 25+ years of dog ownership. I don't know if it was luck and personalities, or because for so many years we worked for ranches and pack stations, where everybody had dogs and they all had to get along and behave around the livestock. There just wasn't time for petty dog squabbles and nobody stood for it - we had work to do. But probably there was a lot of luck. :P

Oh, and after folks here talking about bitchiness between bitches, our Aussie was napping in the house when I let Gael in from outside - and the minute she came in the door, the Aussie burst out of nowhere to snark her. :blink: I swear. But at least it never escalates beyond that. Does make me think if I get a female pup, though, the Aussie will be the one to watch!

Thanks all, for the tales and input.

~ Gloria

I am caring for multiple intact males often and I do not have too much trouble. Along with females that had not been spayed. I do sometimes need an extra hand around to keep the dogs in check. I have k9 specialty cargo crates I put dogs or bitches in heat in. They are what the k9 handlers use to keep dogs in cruisers. They work well outside of the cruisers

Very interesting reading. Sounds like a total crap shoot and I'm not much of a gambler. Hmmm...

Pretty much sounds like it, doesn't it? :rolleyes: But, whatever dogs we end up with, I think the most important thing is to be good custodians of our dogs and wise in our management of them. At least we've a good resource here if we run into any bumps along the road!

~ Gloria