BC Boards

Feeding distillery mash

Jumpin Boots

I have a chance to obtain free corn, wheat and barley distillery mash.

Has anyone fed this to sheep before?

I'm planning on supplementing our pigs diet to reduce feed costs, but thought maybe it could save some hay money for the sheep too. Thoughts?

We sometimes feed dried distillers to the cattle in winter, primarily as a protein supplement. It is more pricey (drying and shipping) but doesn't spoil, either. If you have a local source and would like/need to supplement protein, it might be a useful choice.

The eblex website in the UK has a number of useful free downloadable publications about improving returns for sheep and beef farmers.

http://www.eblex.org.uk/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/brp-manual-12-Improving-ewe-nutrition-for-better-returns-281114.pdf is one pamphlet (pamphlet #12) about ewe nutrition. I think the whole thing is useful....your specific query may be answered in page 14,15 and the table on page 23

Thanks everyone for the input.

I have a friend on the Isle of Skye who has been using it for his cows and sheep for years. There is a great distillery on Skye and most of the farmers there use the mash. It is delivered to them right from the distillery. Bob Stephens

Small world Bob, my family is from the Isle of Skye. I had the pleasure of going there about 15 years ago, there's a good possibility we enjoyed drinks from that distillery, who would have known it would creep back up now.