BC Boards
Sign in to follow this  
Mark Billadeau

Lee's (8 months) 3rd session on sheep

Our Monty X BJ litter is almost 8 month old now. Renee and I have taken our pups to sheep a few times. Grant (Renee's pup) is not quite ready for training; he's keen but not mature enough. Lee is ready. Here is his 3rd session on sheep. I am mostly trying to get him to feel balance and how to correctly move around the sheep. I don't want him circling mindlessly and am switching him frequently. I'm also working on a down and the beginnings of a call-off. I'll use whatever tool helps him be correct without putting too much pressure on him. So far I've been pleased with his developing feel for the sheep and glimpses of thoughtful attitude.

Wow, he looks great!!! Thanks for sharing this - I love watching videos of pups just starting out, and seeing all that instinct kicking in!

Loved it!

PS - Proof that long legs and youthfulness are helpful in training a keen youngster!

He's looking great, Mark! Can't believe he's been on sheep so little - he's looking like a future star. Best wishes to you and Renee for the new year!!!

He's looking really good and responds well to your quiet handling

Congratulations

:) Work like that makes for a Happy New Year!

Dear Aspiring Sheepdoggers,

Please do study how quiet Mark is, his corrections and how he responses to failures. It's the cheapest lesson you could find.

Donald McCaig

I would love to be a tiny fraction of the handler Mark (or Renee) is - and I'd sure like longer legs and a bit of his relative youth, too!

Here is an update on Lee. Lee is very reactive to even sublte movements. Recording and reviewing sessions is helpful in showing me things I should be doing better to help Lee.

This is wonderful. I am of the opinion that the more seasoned handlers tracking a dog's progress every couple months would be beneficial to all. While novices like myself get a mountain of information out of it, as you remark, it helps the handler track subtleties.

I've often referred to the Stilhope May series, and this has the same DNA to it.

That looks great, wish my Max would show outruns like that (he is a bit older than your Lee, will turn two this August).

Ah, well he is a bit slower in his development, we´ll keep working on it.

Grant is developing slower than Lee and less consistent in his progress; likely to do with his periodic wahoo attitude that seems to show up at inopportune times (like getting started).

It's ok, Grant, I can vouch for ya, buddy.

It's so fun to watch them develop!