BC Boards

Lee's (8 months) 3rd session on sheep

Our Monty X BJ litter is almost 8 month old now. Renee and I have taken our pups to sheep a few times. Grant (Renee's pup) is not quite ready for training; he's keen but not mature enough. Lee is ready. Here is his 3rd session on sheep. I am mostly trying to get him to feel balance and how to correctly move around the sheep. I don't want him circling mindlessly and am switching him frequently. I'm also working on a down and the beginnings of a call-off. I'll use whatever tool helps him be correct without putting too much pressure on him. So far I've been pleased with his developing feel for the sheep and glimpses of thoughtful attitude.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

This is wonderful. I am of the opinion that the more seasoned handlers tracking a dog's progress every couple months would be beneficial to all. While novices like myself get a mountain of information out of it, as you remark, it helps the handler track subtleties.

I've often referred to the Stilhope May series, and this has the same DNA to it.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...