BC Boards

Clicker Training

I've been trying to decide whether to use a clicker or a voice marker, but I have one question I can't seem to find on the various sites I've checked. Once you get the dog conditioned to the clicker do you have to continue to use it always? Or can you use the clicker sometimes and voice/treat others?

Thanks.

You can use both no problem. I typically use the clicker for shaping more complicated behaviors as I find it faster, but I quite often use a YES! as a marker as well, and my dogs are conditioned to both.

These dogs are smart, they get it.

It is GREAT to start with pups!

It get their minds thinking and can actually teach them to "think"!

I agree that you don't always have to use the clicker, I know I don't.

Happy training.

Starting with a pup is best - they are not "ruined" by other forms of training yet.

I use a clicker to teach my dogs everything. But I never have it with me unless I'm doing a serious training session. For agility practice - I use a verbal marker only + a thrown toy as reward.

For trick practice, I reward with a tug toy.

I only use the clicker to shape new behaviors. My youngest girl picks up anything in about 5 trys. My older boy takes many sessions because he wasn't clicker trained until he was 6.

Keep your sessions short (put 8 treats in your pocket, if your dog doesn't do something right, put one treat in your other pocket. Once that first pocket is out of treats - you are done. Repeat a few hours later. Just because you have 8 treats, doesn't mean your dog will get them all! Only reward EXACTLY what you want and don't go too fast. Break it all down into simple behaviors.)

GL! Denise

Eireann, yes - but why would you 'train' so infrequently? Little and often is best, I think (although I must admit with my 4 year olds, I'm a bit lazier, and they don't get formal training every day. They still get little bits of voice-marking/praise/treat though for something I've asked for, or something they've done nicely.)

ONe of the things that I've liked about using the clicker in training (I'm not a pure shaping clicker trainer) is the effect it has on me, as well as on the dog. I'm way more careful in my timing, and in setting and adjusting performance criteria. Another benefit is that it encourages the dogs to offer behaviors, and the dogs and I tend to enjoy training more.

Like others, I don't always use the clicker - often it's just a voice marker, with reinforcement being treat, tug, performance of next obstacle etc.

And yes, the voice marker is incorporated jst the same way as the clicker, and you can interchange.