BC Boards

new border collie owner!

hi guys, i am a first time border collie owner from australia,

i have had dogs all my life, mostly dobermans (still my current dog)

this is zara she is about 14 weeks old, i got her very early at only 6 weeks old.

i love her to death she gets along great with eve (my doberman) and my cat (almost too well) haha i am getting used to her wanting to do everything at once (typical border collie)

just thought i'd say hi and introduce my self! maybe if you guys have any advice to raising a border collie compared to other dogs i'd welcome all advice! one thing i've learnt is never stop learning! haha

Adrian (zara and eve)

post-16893-0-33132300-1414388324_thumb.jpgpost-16893-0-59019600-1414388334_thumb.jpgpost-16893-0-83469100-1414388340_thumb.jpg

post-16893-0-50115300-1414388423_thumb.jpg

They are both adorable. Welcome to these boards.

Both general dog knowledge and advice specific to border collies can be found on this forum. My suggestion is that you spend some time (quite a bit of time) reading past posts. Use the search function if you have a specific question and just do general reading to learn about topics that might not interest you now, but may be of interest in the future.

I am not discouraging you from asking questions - please do. But just wanted to point out that the back history of these boards also contain a wealth of information. Even when someone asks the same question that has been posed before, the responses may vary - so I have found it can be worthwhile to read repeat topics.

Anyway, sorry not to have answered your question specifically, but it is very broad for a short answer. I just wanted to point out that if one should do some digging, you will find answers to many questions.

Good Luck with your girlies.

My advice: above all else, engage her mind. Physical activity is fine, of course, though for a pup should be limited to what *she* chooses to do (no high impact, repetitive activities until she's much older).

Border collie puppies are sponges--she will absorb everything you wish to teach her and then some. She will want to be your partner and would prefer to be with you doing nothing than be somewhere you're not. So at this stage of her very young life, just start teaching her things (staying within the limits of what her body can do physically)--there are a lot of tricks and other activities you can train that won't put undue stress on her growing body and will wear her out way more quickly than physical activity will.

When training, remember that she is a baby and will have the attention span of a gnat. Keep training sessions short and sweet. You can do multiple short sessions throughout the day. Let her be a puppy and do all the things that puppies like to do (within reason of course). Have fun and enjoy this special time.

J.

thanks guys!

the only thing i get a bit disheartened from is that she isn't very affectionate most of the time.

the only thing i get a bit disheartened from is that she isn't very affectionate most of the time.

I have seen that totally turn around 180 degrees as the pup gets older. Some border collies are not terribly affectionate, but how she's acting now in that regard is not a good predictor of how she will be later.

Welcome to the Boards.

Totally agree with Eileen about it being early days as far as your girl's level of affection. Quinn was a busy little pup (I sometimes felt like I brought a coyote home) with no time for cuddling and only middling use for me. When he was around 6 months old, he decided I was important to him and overnight turned into a very affectionate dog who initiates hugs and always wants to be by my side.

Enjoy your little cutie. Time flies all too fast.

Thirding all of the above. Molly's getting close to 6 months and honestly until the past couple of weeks she was very busy. Around, liked me, but was too involved in DOING THINGS to want to cuddle up or show affection. She's turning pretty danged velcro now. She's still not as into physical affection as some dogs, but she definitely gives kisses, sleeps on my feet when I'm at the desk and has started getting into bed with me after her early morning romp to snuggle and sleep some more.

So, don't write that off yet. Sometimes it just takes time.

Fourthing.

Almost the same thing as above. She was just too busy figuring out our complicated world in the first 6 months. Now she is not really affectionate but tolerates it with good cheer and very determined to be with me in a touchingly dignified way. She knows if she's fussy or demanding or annoying, I will simply do my business without her. So she finds ways to be with me and does it unobtrusively while still managing to chase stuff and roll in shit and "work on her excavation projects" (as someone on this forum once typed and which made me laugh).

She likes to have the ability to see or hear me, either one is fine. When I am out of range she just goes to sleep or sits on the grass and counts the blades or whatever it is that Collies of her temperament do when waiting patiently for something. Ten minutes, two hours or four, she sleeps and watches. Then she acts like she didn't realize I was gone and just sort of falls in with me again.

She's actually become very helpful and will take anything anywhere and move an entire pile of things from one place to another with a single request. She can go to the barn and get certain things (gloves, basket, string) and knows where to go to give "Grandma" a fresh carrot or some such. She used to drop things half way and go off on a quest but now she almost always finshes jobs.

Before, she really didn't think much about me, one way or the other.

She might never be affectionate, which is okay with me. I like a dog close sometimes and I like if they sleep with me but I do not really like to cuddle. I'm more of a quick snuggle on my way by and by the time I am having my personal down time all critters in my house have gone to sleep except the oldest bitch who simply will not go to sleep for the night until I do.

Molly IS affectionate with my great uncle who she knows as "grampy". She practically wants to be his lapdog and he feeds her coffee and toast :/

Fifth-ing. ;) My Gael was simply too BUSY to bother cuddling. Too much to do, too many places to run, too many leaves to chase. But now she's 5 and she's working her way up to being an annoyance at cuddling.

Just make sure you are pretty nifty to be around - treats are a good motivator - and give her time. Often a young border collie just can't be bothered to focus on us, when there's a Really Interesting World awaiting conquest. :P

~ Gloria

Everything they ^^^^^ said. PLUS - border collies can have their quirks. A major quirk that Gibbs has is around affection - before around 11 a.m., maybe a bit later, he'll take all the cootchy-cooing, petting and hugging I can dish out. After that, he will Endure It, but he's not thrilled with it like earlier in the day. Evening specifically he really, really wants to be left alone.

He's not mean or snarly, just sort of oozes away from my outstretched hands and goes to his blanket. Next morning it's a love fest again.

Those panda eyes - wow.

If you've never raised a puppy while having an older dog in the house, it may come as a surprise when Eve starts correcting Zara. As a puppy, Zara gets away with a lot. At some point, when she's a little older and possibly much more annoying, Eve will give a quick snap or growl to get Zara to stop bugging her. Perfectly normal, but you'll want to watch this behavior. Step in yourself, make sure Eve (and the cat) have time alone with you and a safe, puppy-free place to rest.

Enjoy!

Ruth and SuperGibbs

The first thing I thought when I saw your puppy is that you have a very adorable baby panda! :D She is so cute!

I second what Ruth said. Your doberman looks like a really lovely and tolerant girl but at some point your little puppy may get on her nerves. I have a very easy going GSD but I occasionally have to step in and make sure my puppy doesn't bother him too much. I also have two cats and have had to intervene a few times to keep my puppy from bothering them.

My Nattie is seven months old and is my first Border Collie. At times I find that she is so exhausting but she is always worth the effort.

Her affection also may take unexpected forms. My boy Nick (sister to busy Gael) cannot STAND being hugged or snuggled. Freaks him right out and he just falls all over himself to escape.

However, he simply adores laying on the floor in contact with my feet - on my feet is possible - and sometimes he'll just sit down and stare at me, wanting his forehead stroked or his chest petted.

I'll say it again, border collies are weird! :P Sometimes it just takes a while to figure out how to accommodate their weirdness.

It does help to make yourself really fun and interesting, with lots of treats, games and interaction. :) Best of luck and feel free to post more photos of the CUTENESS!

~ Gloria

There are people who like hugs and cuddles, and there are people that don't. Dogs vary in what they like, too.

I wish my one dog was more affectionate but he's not. He's just not comfortable with certain interactions (hugs, kisses, snuggles). But when he does initiate a cuddle, it's because *he" needs it and I realize just how much I mean to him, and it's worth the wait.

Other than that, he is very devoted and I can tell by other actions just how attached he is to me.

• 6 months later...

hello thanks for all the help and advice guys, just a update she just finished her first period

and oh boy has she changed since she was a puppy, she is extremely loveable now and loves hugs. i guess once she grew up she changed. as a young puppy she was very aloof didn't care about anything or anyone did what she want. but now she's turned into a incredibly loving dog she just grew out of it i guess. her and eve (doberman are best friends)

her only strange quirk is she chases flys haha!

here she is now :

zaraeve_zpsygtcwhos.jpg

• 3 years later...

She’s 4 now , here’s some updated photos , Australia outback . Eve the Doberman is very old now (13 and is still best friends with Zara) tolerates and sleeps through all of Zara’s energy . But keeps up with Zara for walks and hikes . When we get back eve collapses while Zara (border collie) runs around some more , we have a large yard 15B03018-BB05-4F17-8C87-C5ECBB136CF3.thumb.jpeg.c265034b6a25b069d8de21487c3080b9.jpegA8EEA8DA-F1CF-4289-A371-7C93D90C4E21.thumb.jpeg.78c0e8b61f724a04dbad467568dbde91.jpegA1C45455-948F-47F6-9D84-AA0CA1B112BA.thumb.jpeg.dcac432a241a627f03f92aec2624da44.jpeg

8F806A7A-A3C1-479D-B4BF-4A6036C3FC42.jpeg

She’s a small Doberman, but then again Zara is a smallish border collie

i got Eve from a rescue shelter she was 12 weeks and already de-sexed and FULLY healed. It’s stunted her growth some what